Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oatway stunned by Albion's rapid progress in play-off race [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
[h=3]Oatway stunned by Albion's rapid progress in play-off race[/h]9:00am Friday 26th April 2013 in Albion By Andy Naylor
2289830.jpg
Charlie Oatway thought Albion's bid to reach play-offs would go to the wire
CHARLIE Oatway believes Albion have over-achieved by virtually booking a Championship play-off spot with time to spare.
The Seagulls can clinch a top six place win, lose or draw in their final away fixture against Leeds United at Elland Road tomorrow.
Results elsewhere could help them over the finishing line, with the visit of relegation-haunted Wolves to The Amex still in hand.
That would exceed the expectations of first team coach Oatway after Albion were ninth at the halfway stage.
He said: “I know the strengths of the clubs in this league and the players in this league and the financial backing they’ve got and their expectation levels from Board and chairman level down.
“I honestly thought it would be tighter. Gus (Poyet) is different, He’s very confident in his ability and his players’ ability compared to the rest. I didn’t think we would be in this situation right now.”
Oatway wants Albion to remove any lingering doubts by emulating last season’s first victory at Elland Road since 1985 but he expects no favours from Leeds, with Brian McDermott still getting his feet under the managerial table.
“I want it done and dusted,” Oatway said. “If other results go in our favour we are there anyway but it doesn’t matter what I think or what I would like.
“We have got a manager that doesn’t set up at any stage to go out for a draw. We are going out there to win the game and Leeds will as well, because they will want to finish on a high in front of their home fans, so it’s got the makings of a fantastic game.
“There is a lot riding on it for us, obviously, but there is still a lot on it for their manager, because he is trying to build a relationship with the club and the fans. He will be doing his upmost to beat us.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here