Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crewe Alexandra to field an all ex-Academy team against Walsall

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
You have to admire what that club has achieved. I feel a lot of love for Crewe, despite NEVER meeting a bona fide Crewe fan.

Oct 25, 2003
I have a lot of respect for Crewe. It's a really great way to run a smaller club, and I'm really surprised more clubs haven't gone down that route. It almost seems like a no-brainer

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
And all he had to do was take them down to League 2 to achieve his dream!

Sorry, that's harsh. Mucho respeto.
While our academy can't get a look in because they are competing against current and former internationals, Premier League, La Liga, & x amount of million pound players.

But what's the point of having an academy :dunce:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
And all he had to do was take them down to League 2 to achieve his dream!

Sorry, that's harsh. Mucho respeto.
Harsh but fair. Dean Wilkins was getting close to achieving this same feat at one time (when we were not all that good).

Loadicus Trux

Jan 12, 2012
All credit to Crewe.

I would love to watch an Albion team compete at a decent level with a high percentage of home grown players.

I confess that I don't think it will happen anytime soon. While we are losing five million a year, any talent nurtured will be sold off to balance the books.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
All credit to Crewe.

I would love to watch an Albion team compete at a decent level with a high percentage of home grown players.

I confess that I don't think it will happen anytime soon. While we are losing five million a year, any talent nurtured will be sold off to balance the books.

To be fair the Dean Wilkins team competed at the higher end of Division One with a youth team of locals.

Our Academy will be fantastic once the training ground is built and the type of young players we are now signing, developing talent to play and sell.

Looks like crew took 35K to the JPT final, heard an interview and they spend millions on the academy and always manage to sell a player that makes a profit.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Less than 5 years ago we finished our game against Shrewsbury in the Paint Pot Trophy with 8 out of the 11 players coming through the ranks at Brighton and another one unused on the bench. That's not bad, eh?

Sullivan
Virgo
Hinshelwood
El-Abd
Elphick
Robinson
Cox
Fraser
Loft (unused sub)

http://espnfc.com/gamecast?id=258676&cc=5739

Loft didnt come through the ranks did he?

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Do Crewe fans exist? Please tell me they do...

They do. I've only seen a few grown up ones, but I do see loads of kids in Crewe tops. I drive past the Rease Heath training place most days and there's always people about, but to be honest I wouldn't recognise a Crewe player if I saw one.
Great to see the kids supporting the local team though.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I met one at Uni nice guy had arms and legs and everything !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here