Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Charlie Oatway

I_am_JOSH

Nov 30, 2012
Sussex Uni
Forgive me if this seams a bit nieve, but what qualifies him to be our head coach? (Apart for his obvious commitment to the Albion). That's not to say that that he has done a bad job, quite the opposite, but I wonder how? Has he played at this level before? Is coaching at this level more about leading and organising than teaching technical skills?

Is he likely to be head coach if we go up?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Because nobody (including Gus and Tanno) fancied saying No when Charlie asked for the job !

He gets my vote :wink:

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
What are you studying at Uni Josh? You do know the language police will be after you now? :)

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
He has played at this level before, with us. There are plenty of coaches, managers and so on who were unable to play with flair.

There are plenty of examples of decent coaches/managers who were never blessed with much skill.

There are also some highly successful managers who never made any inroads as a player. Ferguson, Mourinho and Winger to name but three.

Buckley's Mad Eye

Oct 27, 2012
Forgive me if this seams a bit nieve, but what qualifies him to be our head coach? (Apart for his obvious commitment to the Albion). That's not to say that that he has done a bad job, quite the opposite, but I wonder how? Has he played at this level before? Is coaching at this level more about leading and organising than teaching technical skills?

Is he likely to be head coach if we go up?
Probably coaching qualifications, experienced ex-professional, his links with the club and his man management skills. He blends nicely with the other two I think.

Naive.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Because he knows how to get stuck in, the quality that these tippy-tappy foreign fancy dans can learn most from.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He has played at this level before, with us. There are plenty of coaches, managers and so on who were unable to play with flair.

There are plenty of examples of decent coaches/managers who were never blessed with much skill.

There are also some highly successful managers who never made any inroads as a player. Ferguson, Mourinho and Winger to name but three.

Ferguson is often mentioned in that context, but it's not true. He played over 300 games in the monkey tennis leagues (in the days when they were actually not shit) and scored 170 goals.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Ferguson is often mentioned in that context, but it's not true. He played over 300 games in the monkey tennis leagues (in the days when they were actually not shit) and scored 170 goals.

Precisely, monkey league, never made inroads as was alluded to. He manages at a much higher level than he played.

Seams = seems at the OP... what the f**k do they teach at Uni nowadays? He'll probably find the equivalent of E=MC2 somewhere down the line because he spelt the damned thing wrong!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Yes he did play professionally - but it was once said of him that he had trouble controlling the ball, but not as much trouble as he had controlling his temper! Decent Scottish league footballer, yes, but he'd never have got anywhere near the ManU first team, then or now. He manages at a far higher level than he ever played

I_am_JOSH

Nov 30, 2012
Sussex Uni
Thanks. Haha. All you picking up on my spelling and asking what I do at uni. I get it, I can't spell, I'm dyslexic as shit, but I came to terms with it along time ago. I'm doing a Masters in Anthropology, and I have a First in Business Management (which I did whilst working full time), so I'm sorry if my spelling offends you but is dosn't bother me.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Thanks. Haha. All you picking up on my spelling and asking what I do at uni. I get it, I can't spell, I'm dyslexic as shit, but I came to terms with it along time ago. I'm doing a Masters in Anthropology, and I have a First in Business Management (which I did whilst working full time), so I'm sorry if my spelling offends you but is dosn't bother me.

Good comeback. Nice.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Fine, but what do you DO?

Buckley's Mad Eye

Oct 27, 2012
Well done.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Forgive me if this seams a bit nieve, but what qualifies him to be our head coach?

For starters, a UEFA A Licence. Then there's the fact that Gus says Charlie is someone he can trust 100 percent, doesn't just tell him what he thinks he wants to hear and is a great coach (Gus's words, not mine). Not bad to be going on with.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It is E=mc^2
At least seams is a word.

Difference between being pedantic, because it is actually E=MC with a small superscript 2, but shortened on a non HTML facility would be E=MC2 as opposed to spelling seems as 'seams'. Good try at belittling though, 3/10.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here