Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT - Debit / Credit card fees

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Long story short - I need to pay a monthly payment for my car via debit card to Santander. They want to charge me £12 for paying via debit card. I thought these charges had been outlawed ( i.e. they could only charge what it cost them - about 20p on a debit card ). Santander ( the worlds worst bank ! ) claim that the legislation only covered internet purchases and companies that didn't offer alternative methods of payment. All the articles I can find don't make it very clear what the exact rules are.

So, what do the educated collective of NSC think the new rules are ?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
But what are the new rules ?

thony

Jul 24, 2011
Hollingbury
I thought fees for debit card payments were outlawed, too. After all, it's meant to be a modern replacement for paying by cheque.
A £12 fee does seem extremely steep when it's to allow you to pay them some money!
My suggestion would be to make an online payment instead of a phone one. I would expect Santander to provide that facility - if not, just do a bank transfer (/single payment) from your own bank's internet banking facility.

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
Complete rip off, it costs me 36p to take a debit card. I think i am getting ripped off at that price.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i didnt think the changes around card charges had actually made it to law yet? £12 is alot, however it does occur to me this is not what cards are for - why not set up a direct debit?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
Do you bank with Santander or is it just the car loan ?

Just a car loan via a dealer.

i didnt think the changes around card charges had actually made it to law yet? £12 is alot, however it does occur to me this is not what cards are for - why not set up a direct debit?

I did but I made perfectly clear at the time that the DD should only come out post my pay day. Santander tried to take the payment 3 days early so it bounced. Now I have to pay the bounced DD via debit card, bank transfer or cash.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Just a car loan via a dealer.

I did but I made perfectly clear at the time that the DD should only come out post my pay day. Santander tried to take the payment 3 days early so it bounced. Now I have to pay the bounced DD via debit card, bank transfer or cash.

Are you being charged £12 because the DD was taken 3 days early and bounced due to insufficient funds ?

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I would suggest looking at the terms of the loan agreement ?

It may be a condition of the loan that you must pay by dd, the charge for using a debit card is probably an admin charge which I suspect is detailed in the small print of your loan agreement

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here