Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How long until we can vote the Greens OUT?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Seems reasonable to me.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Er.. I think you'll find that you can do that at the next Council election (May 2015 for unitary authorities like Brighton and Hove, if you can't be bothered to look it up)

You have to bear in mind that for many people NSC is a Google replacement....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I assume this is their evil doing:
£6 million travel scheme unveiled for central Brighton From The Argus)

At a time when bus prices are going through the roof, they're trying to make people turn away from driving and to using buses! How about providing a subsidy to the ridiculous prices or provide alternative bus services so it's not a monopoly. Absolute joke, when can we vote them out?

• The fact that there is a near-monopoly on the bus routes is not down to The Green Party.
• There is a subsidy on some bus routes, but the council over a number of year has had to cut it back due to government cuts on local authorities.
• If you wish to 'vote them out' (you alone can't), that's your prerogative, but it won't make a huge amount of difference on this issue, especially as (a) other parties are keen on this project, and (b) it needs another company to come in and break the monopoly - it's not any council's obligation to do so.

Aside from that, these proposals look quite interesting. Would like to see more info, mind - it does seem a fair way away yet.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Andrew Boag, of consumer group Brighton Area Buswatch, said: “More and more people are travelling by bus therefore it’s right they get more priority.”
How many people travel around the city on bus, and how many by car?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
• The fact that there is a near-monopoly on the bus routes is not down to The Green Party.
• There is a subsidy on some bus routes, but the council over a number of year has had to cut it back due to government cuts on local authorities.
• If you wish to 'vote them out' (you alone can't), that's your prerogative, but it won't make a huge amount of difference on this issue, especially as (a) other parties are keen on this project, and (b) it needs another company to come in and break the monopoly - it's not any council's obligation to do so.

Aside from that, these proposals look quite interesting. Would like to see more info, mind - it does seem a fair way away yet.

It's just as well Tony Meola's Loan Spell doesn't use the buses. The rants would be off the scale.

FWIW - I had a look last night at bus ticket prices for my gf when she starts her new job and was pleasantly surprised at the £60 per month. It didn't seem too bad. It's the price of the single journeys that are exorbitant. If I go with my mates into town then it's cheaper and more convenient to book a taxi. That can't be right whichever way you slice it.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
If you feel so strongly why don't you start up a bus company?

That's been tried and failed, many times. When someone else tries to compete with B&H they soon get run out of town.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It's just as well Tony Meola's Loan Spell doesn't use the buses. The rants would be off the scale.

FWIW - I had a look last night at bus ticket prices for my gf when she starts her new job and was pleasantly surprised at the £60 per month. It didn't seem too bad. It's the price of the single journeys that are exorbitant. If I go with my mates into town then it's cheaper and more convenient to book a taxi. That can't be right whichever way you slice it.

Don't disagree. The season tickets are a reasonable price; the single price isn't.

Said this before, but - even though I've no hard evidence for it - I believe Go-Ahead (B&H Buses' parent company) are milking bus fares in the city because they know they have a large - and growing - audience in a way they don't in other areas they operate.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
1. halve the capacity of trunk roads into and out of the city
2. people will use fewer cars
3. be forced to use more public transport

The logic is sound, as long as you forget that some people don't have a choice or, heaven forbid, don't actually want to cycle everywhere and would prefer to exercise some choice over the matter. The councilors must look on at the recent tailbacks down old shoreham road with total mystification at the stupidity of motorists who haven't yet figured out that you can, in fact, do a school run on a tandem bicycle, or carry a set of golf clubs on a bus if you have enough money to pay the double fare.

I'm all for making cycle lanes, but if you're going to make them then make them consistent. Don't pave over an entire lane for a half-mile stretch of cycle path that is wide enough for a family of four to cycle side-by-side down, only to then shrink down to 1 foot wide at the next intersection. That's like a plumber connecting your bath plug to a 1/4" rubber tube which then empties into a makeshift storm drain in your front garden, then congratulating himself with his work and charging you 3 million pounds.

It's such a shame our city has LOADS AND LOADS of hills, otherwise this "bicycle for everyone" idea might have a chance of working. Ah well, they can still complete their secondary objective...

"The local authority believes it will lead to “significant reductions” in private car use

Dec 29, 2011
If you feel so strongly why don't you start up a bus company?

The Big Lemon was amazing. A pioneer in the bus industry. £1 return tickets and ran on waste cooking oil. What more could you ask for in a city that is run by the Green party? Brighton busses then cut the price of their 25 route to eliminate the Big Lemon, and straight after it [The Big Lemon] went out of business, they hiked the prices up. As a consequence it is now the biggest revenue earning route in the country. That doesn't seem right in our city.

The fact that they are altering our road system to make it more bus friendly and less car-friendly is only going to help the monopoly.

They have to cut back on subsidies but can afford £6m for this new system?

Dec 29, 2011
1. halve the capacity of trunk roads into and out of the city
2. people will use fewer cars
3. be forced to use more public transport

The logic is sound, as long as you forget that some people don't have a choice or, heaven forbid, don't actually want to cycle everywhere and would prefer to exercise some choice over the matter. The councilors must look on at the recent tailbacks down old shoreham road with total mystification at the stupidity of motorists who haven't yet figured out that you can, in fact, do a school run on a tandem bicycle, or carry a set of golf clubs on a bus if you have enough money to pay the double fare.

I'm all for making cycle lanes, but if you're going to make them then make them consistent. Don't pave over an entire lane for a half-mile stretch of cycle path that is wide enough for a family of four to cycle side-by-side down, only to then shrink down to 1 foot wide at the next intersection. That's like a plumber connecting your bath plug to a 1/4" rubber tube which then empties into a makeshift storm drain in your front garden, then congratulating himself with his work and charging you 3 million pounds.

It's such a shame our city has LOADS AND LOADS of hills, otherwise this "bicycle for everyone" idea might have a chance of working. Ah well, they can still complete their secondary objective...

I agree with this post, good writing sir.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The Big Lemon was amazing. A pioneer in the bus industry. £1 return tickets and ran on waste cooking oil. What more could you ask for in a city that is run by the Green party? Brighton busses then cut the price of their 25 route to eliminate the Big Lemon, and straight after it [The Big Lemon] went out of business, they hiked the prices up. As a consequence it is now the biggest revenue earning route in the country. That doesn't seem right in our city.

The fact that they are altering our road system to make it more bus friendly and less car-friendly is only going to help the monopoly.

So what does the local authority do to alleviate this, bearing in mind they're not actually allowed to do anything?

Is your beef the fact that there would be better bus and cycle routes - or that B&H Buses holds a near-monopoly on the bus routes; something the local authority can't do anything about?

They have to cut back on subsidies but can afford £6m for this new system?

The £6m isn't, for the most part, council money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here