Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The must-have albums of 2013

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Apologies if there's already a thread on this. If so, I'll ask a mod to merge.

So what are your must-haves? I've not been overly enamoured of the Depeche Mode album - it's a little dirge-y for my liking although it will need some more listens and I'll give a better view. The new Nick Cave is a major disappointment so far. I've been on a huge new album splurge of late and am working my way through them all but very impressed with the following:

Steve Mason - Monkey Minds In the Devil's Time [a very complete and epic journey IMHO]

Phosphoresecent - 'Muchacho' [Trippy, laid back, poppy and quite beautiful. Fans of Neil Young, Bonnie Prince Billy, Felice Brothers will probably like this a lot]

Eels - Wonderful, Glorious [He seems ro alternate between rocky angst and introspective melancholy a lot. This is the rocky part of him. And I read that he got attacked on stage last week. Bizarre]

Major Lazer - Free the Universe [ Diplo taking no prisoners. A great party record]

Necessary Mayhem presents Gregory Isaacs Remixed [Superb re-workings of a true legend]

Shuggie Otis - 'Wings of Love' [First CD is blues/funk at its best. CD2 veers into 80s naffness, sounding like a Miami Vice soundtrack. Shame really]

Atoms For Peace - Amok [The music geek in me loves this album. My girlfriend doesn't and hates it. One for the Richie Hawtin-types]

Stornoway - 'Tales From Terra Firma' [once again, wonderful harmonies and the tracks forming an ongoing story but not as instantly likeable as their first]

JStar - Licensed Plates - [some great dub remixes all rolled into a superb album. Their remix of Madness's 'Forever Young' is so good I even went back and listened to some old Madness and I haven't done that in years.]

There's a few I've only given a cursory listen to ..Bonobo, Flaming Lips, David Bowie that I liked but my favourite two albums so far are:

Charles Bradley - Victim of Love [it's a proper old school soul/funk number - a bit like Bobby Womack's Bravest Man album last year. The spirit of James Brown lives in this too and as a guarantee of quality features the Menahan Street Band. That says it all really]

and number one so far.....

John Grant - Pale Green Ghosts. [I've liked him since his Czar days but he's found his own totally as a solo artist. He wears his heart on his sleeve, tends to be a little bit of a drama queen but the lyrics are as good as anything out there at the moment. And a long-standing NSCer is his music publisher too. If you get the chance go for the deluxe version of the album with the remixes on but skip the dubstep remix. It's horrid and unnecessary.]

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Already out
David Bowie - The Next Day - stunning.
The Strokes - Comedown Machine - they're splitting up soon. Moved further into Julian's electro territory. Really good.

Upcoming
The National - Trouble Will Find Me
Queens of the Stoneage - ...Like Clockwork

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Not heard that or of them so cheers for the heads-up. A band that might be up your street are the Skints and they've got a new album out this year.

Will give them a listen. Also, All The Young's 2nd albums out later this year which is make or break for them. But IMO a top band. Seen them 3 times in Brighton, and I think they are capable of big things.

You should of come Concorde last week, was a good night :wink: :cheers:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Will give them a listen. Also, All The Young's 2nd albums out later this year which is make or break for them. But IMO a top band. Seen them 3 times in Brighton, and I think they are capable of big things.

You should of come Concorde last week, was a good night :wink: :cheers:

Yeah, sorry about that but I swerved it as I had a big one the day after and I have a habit of thinking I can power on through and then crashing big time!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Agree on John Grant. I play it at least once a day and I got to see him live a few weeks back; Glacier sent a shiver down my spine and gave me goosebumps. Agree with AMOK and the now Switch-less Major Lazer. Others on the Tubthumper turntable which are must haves are: Krieg Und Frieden by Apparat, a Juan Atkins career retrospective I picked up called 20 Years of Metroplex and the prolific Ty Segall. My current pick of his long players is Hair which is a collaboration with White Fence. This might have come out last year though. I have also started investigating White Fence off the back of this album. Suuns new album is great. And if you want something a bit different may I recommend KXP which is a Finnish Krautrock band.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
..and thanks for the Steve Mason reminder. I have heard very good things about his newie. But forgot about it.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Currently rather enjoying the Yeah Yeah Yeahs album (track with Dr Octagon is wickerd) and the best album of the year is coming out on Monday (he says having not heard so much as a note of it), Praxis Makes Perfect by Neon Neon.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I've enjoyed:

Toro Y Moi - Anything in Return

Silky soul, R&B funk and chillout- definitely good Summer music.

Rhye - Woman

Very slow paced toned down album, few beats basslines and keyboard/string/horn sections, a bit like the XX.

Parquet Courts - Light Up Gold

Rough around the edges lo-fi garage band. Catchy.

Need to get that Major Lazer album and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs (Dr Octagon you say Chappers??).

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Yeah, sorry about that but I swerved it as I had a big one the day after and I have a habit of thinking I can power on through and then crashing big time!

Fair enough mate.

Tempted by Happy Mondays on the Sunday before Bank Holiday :lolol: :rave:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
..and thanks for the Steve Mason reminder. I have heard very good things about his newie. But forgot about it.

...any opportunity to post this MONSTER of a tune he did with Scroobius Pip. This is EXACTLY why the British make such great music. Take five minutes and sit back and enjoy:

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
His voice is LITERALLY the most annoying thing in the entire world. Wanky, wanky band.

Can see why someone would think that. But I like it.

The drummer's facial expressions whilst playing are slightly OTT though :cheers:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Agreed on the Steve Mason one. I'm not so fond of this John Grant one, though, I found the electronic tracks didn't really suit his voice. I may well contradict this by the end of the year.

For me stand outs have been.

Deerhunter - Monomania
Thee Oh Sees - Floating Coffin
My Bloody Valentine - MBV
Sandwell District - Fabric 69
The Knife - Shaking The Habitual
British Sea Power - Machineries of Joy
Hookworms - Pearl Mystic
Besnard Lakes - Until In Excess Perceptible UFO
The Haxan Cloak - Excavation
Rick Redbeard - No Selfish Heart
Teleseen - Passages
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Push The Sky Away
IceAge - You're Nothing
Machinedrum - Nice Effort - Remixes
Gnod - Chaudelande

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I've enjoyed:

Toro Y Moi - Anything in Return

Silky soul, R&B funk and chillout- definitely good Summer music.

Rhye - Woman

Very slow paced toned down album, few beats basslines and keyboard/string/horn sections, a bit like the XX.

Parquet Courts - Light Up Gold

Rough around the edges lo-fi garage band. Catchy.

Need to get that Major Lazer album and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs (Dr Octagon you say Chappers??).

I knew I'd forget one - really liking that Parquet Courts album. hope to catch them at The Great Escape.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here