Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sour grapes by Tranmere officials

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
They're not allowing Bournemouth to lift the trophy at Tranmere IF Bournemouth clinch the title. Absolutely ridiculous decision considering its the last fixture of the season.

What do you make of it?

Jimmy Grimble

Poor form from Tranmere. Where's that thread about disliking them gone?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
From the Football League

In the event of AFC Bournemouth being crowned npower League 1 champions on Saturday, they will be presented with the trophy at the Goldsands Stadium on Sunday ahead of their open top bus parade to celebrate promotion to the npower Championship.

The presentation will commence at 12pm, entry to the Goldsands Stadium will be free of charge and the main stand will open at 11am.

Ordinarily, The Football League does not present trophies at away grounds unless a club makes a specific request for us to do so.

In this case, AFC Bournemouth did ask to The League to present the trophy on Saturday but after consultation with Tranmere Rovers and Merseyside Police it was decided not to grant the request.

Tranmere Rovers felt that they were not absolutely able to guarantee the safety of all players, match officials and supporters on the day.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Probably more that Tranmere fans would cause trouble and that it cant be certain not to happen, rather than the actual club itself denying it.

Either way its wrong.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Absolutely PATHETIC from Tranmere. They should be embarrassed.

I'd be mortified if that happened at the Albion.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
From the Football League

In the event of AFC Bournemouth being crowned npower League 1 champions on Saturday, they will be presented with the trophy at the Goldsands Stadium on Sunday ahead of their open top bus parade to celebrate promotion to the npower Championship.

The presentation will commence at 12pm, entry to the Goldsands Stadium will be free of charge and the main stand will open at 11am.

Ordinarily, The Football League does not present trophies at away grounds unless a club makes a specific request for us to do so.

In this case, AFC Bournemouth did ask to The League to present the trophy on Saturday but after consultation with Tranmere Rovers and Merseyside Police it was decided not to grant the request.

Tranmere Rovers felt that they were not absolutely able to guarantee the safety of all players, match officials and supporters on the day.

No such thing as absolute safety, pathetic excuse.

Choose one or more of these words to describe Tranmere: churlish, tinpot, woolybacks. Long may they rot in the lower leagues.

PG

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Tranmere are just bitter that they completely bottled it in the second half of the season. We let Swansea lift the trophy at the Withdean.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm not convinced this is entirely down to Tranmere.

Why even bother consulting the police on decisions like these? When it comes to crowd control, the police always plump for the bottle-job alternative. Always. Why can't they just be presented with a scenario and be expected to police it as they see fit?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Absolutely PATHETIC from Tranmere. They should be embarrassed.

I'd be mortified if that happened at the Albion.

Thankfully we've already shown we are better than this, Swansea were presented with the League 1 trophy for the 07/08 season at Withdean. I remember quite a few Brighton fans stayed behind to watch the presentation and congratulate the Swansea players and fans.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
From the Football League

That's a pretty mental statement. Should the game go ahead if that's the case?

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Doing well in the popularity stakes at the moment. Bunch of spoilsports...on the flip side it should be just perfect motivation for the Cherries to win the league!

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
great idea, ground open at 11.00am for a mid-day presentation, then presumably a three o'clock KO ? Bournemouth hardly get 8,000 at home, how many will go to Scouseland for that unearthly hour ? More importantly it pisses on the Howe/Tindall love-in, which is even better!

Thankfully we've already shown we are better than this, Swansea were presented with the League 1 trophy for the 07/08 season at Withdean. I remember quite a few Brighton fans stayed behind to watch the presentation and congratulate the Swansea players and fans.

What with our two championships plus Swanseas win there Withdean must have the highest percentage of Championship successes of all grounds considering it only had 12 seasons ! I wonder who has the lowest?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
If we had collapsed in the promotion race not sure I'd want another side lording it at the amex.

Have a parade Bournemouth , dont worry about it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here