[Official Site] Oatway: Seize the Moment

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
oatway-press-04apr13-ld229-752219_478x359.jpg

PUBLISHED
12:08 25th April 2013
by Will Jago
Charlie Oatway has encouraged the Albion players to cement their place in the play-offs with a win at Leeds United on Saturday.
Albion’s first-team coach admitted that he did not expect the Seagulls to be in this position to secure a top-six finish with a game remaining but would like the players to seize the initiative.
He told seagulls.co.uk, “I’m not counting any chickens at the moment because we still have a job to do to make sure that we are in the play-offs. I’m a realist and until we have the points and the play-off spot done and dusted we shouldn’t think about anything else.
“We are so close but still so far away in my mind. Once we’re in there we can look at what a fantastic job Gus and the team have done but until then we can’t comment on it.
“We will go to win because we want it done and dusted on Saturday. Results might go in our favour but the facts are we have a manager who will never set up to go for a draw. He sets his formation to win the game but we need to be aware that Leeds will be going out to win in front of their home fans too.
“Half-way through the season I didn’t expect to be in this position because of the strength of the clubs and the players in this league, with their expectations and their financial backing.
“I didn’t think we’d be in this situation right now, although I thought we had to chance to scrape in during the last game.”
The Yorkshire side are sitting 13th in the Championship but Oatway takes little notice of their position, given the recent appointment of Brian McDermott as boss.
“We hear that the manager has given them a new lease of life and he has them playing in a more relaxed way.
“Saturday has got the make-up of a fantastic game. Their manager is trying to build his relationship with the club and the fans so he will be going out to beat us.
“They will want to finish their last home game on a high as well, which will give them confidence for next season.
“I’m so glad to see Brian back in the game though because he did a magnificent job at Reading and he’s a top man, and very passionate about football.
“He deserves to be in the game and I’m pleased to see him back in management. I hope he gets success there but obviously not against us. It will be a very tough place to go and he will have his players very up-beat.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here