Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What could have been: Transfers that nearly happened

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
It appears that Blackburn were in pole position to sign Robert Lewandowski in 2010 when left Lech Poznan. He had been due to fly to England to watch them but the volcano in Iceland meant that didn't happen. Dortmund took advantage and pipped Blackburn to his signature. Blackburn signed Benjani and Mama Biram Diouf instead. Two seasons later they were relegated from the Prem - would Lewandowski have meant they are still in the top flight?

Are there any other transfers that were on the verge of happening then collapsed, with the player going on to become a big success while the club that missed out suffer?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Kanche.... zzzzzz

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's the absolute opposite to the scenario you've painted, but possibly the most signifcant "transfer that didn't happen" in the Albion's history was Lorenzo Pinamonte. He was the striker that Adams wanted and was prepared to spend the small amount of cash he had to get him. We were outbid, lost out, and picked up that Bristol Rovers reserve Bobby Zamora instead.

The rest, as they say, is history.

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
But what if he did go to Blackburn and he didnt progress as the player he is today? Players react differently to different teams behind them? Would a Young Terry Henry turned into the player he turned out to be if he didnt play under Wenger? So many if's and but's in football.

I saw an article on Joe Cole when he moved to France for his first loan spell, he was talking about his time in England and wondered if things had been different for him if he went and played for a club that looked after young talent better rather then going to chelsea? I guess if he went to Arsenal or United then with his potential as a youngster he could have been very good?

SamPeters18

Feb 19, 2011
Peacehaven
Well we had Ian Wright on trail here but deemed he wernt good enough....goes to to play for the Scum and Arsenal......missed out big time there

D

Deleted member 18477

Lewandowski relies heavily on good service. would he have got the service he requires at blackburn? no.

class finisher and a proper striker. but proper strikers like him need service. Ulloa reminds me of him a little... and like Lewandowski, Ulloa isn't going to run past 4 players at pace like messi...

glenn murray is another one. proper striker.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
If Nav's had never got injured, would Gus have felt the need to sign bridcutt? possibley so, but would he have got as many chances with a fully fit Navs and Kish ahead of him in the team.

If Bobby Zamora had never signed for us would he be playing in the Prem today? if he had stayed in the reserves at Bristol probably not.

NorthStandSeagull

Apr 20, 2013
Hove
It's the absolute opposite to the scenario you've painted, but possibly the most signifcant "transfer that didn't happen" in the Albion's history was Lorenzo Pinamonte. He was the striker that Adams wanted and was prepared to spend the small amount of cash he had to get him. We were outbid, lost out, and picked up that Bristol Rovers reserve Bobby Zamora instead.

The rest, as they say, is history.

Possibly the greatest deal in the clubs recent history?

Also Beckham and jay-jay okocha were both on trial with tottenham and were both deemed not good enough for the premiership!

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Forlan arrived in England not knowing whether was going to sign for Middlebrough or United, it was too close to call...I know he didn't do too well for them but what a difference he could've made for 'Boro.

The only other two I know off the top of my head are Ronaldo (Cristiano) almost going to Arsenal in early 2000's and Giggs being knocked back by City so going to United...oops.

BHAWise

Oct 5, 2011
Seaford
I heard we canceled a trail for a certain Roy Keane once upon a time?

Lawson

Feb 25, 2012
Blackburn also had the chance to sign Christoph Dugarry and Zinedine Zidane from Bordeaux the season after Blackburn had won the premiership. The sum was to be minimal but they turned it down because the club wanted to give priority to their own youth players.

St Mirren nearly signed Ronaldinho on loan before he went to Paris St Germain, that certainly would have been a change to footballing history.

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
Calderon had a trial with gillingham and was turned down by them a couple of months before joining us. Darren Currie a few years back (i think it was the 2nd micky adams era) had agree'd to rejoin us, only for him to decide last minute to go to chesterfield. Then the year after, Paul Ifill was set to sign before getting an offer from wellington phoenix from the Australian A league
and who can forget andrei kanchelskis?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Well we had Ian Wright on trail here but deemed he wernt good enough....goes to to play for the Scum and Arsenal......missed out big time there

didnt we have a choice between Wright and Paul McCarthy and chose the latter. Who was pretty good

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here