Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Non-City League

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Here's what would be the top tier table for clubs that don't represent a city or part of one.

West Brom
Wigan
Reading
Watford
----------------
Bolton
Ipswich
Blackburn
Burnley
Blackpool
Huddersfield
Barnsley
Bournmouth
Doncaster
Yeovil
Swindon
MK Dons
Crawley
---------------
Tranmere
Crewe
Stevenage

This may be of no interest to anyone, but it was to me so I thought I'd share my research.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Here's what would be the top tier table for clubs that don't represent a city or part of one.

West Brom
Wigan
Reading
Watford
----------------
Bolton
Ipswich
Blackburn
Burnley
Blackpool
Huddersfield
Barnsley
Bournmouth
Doncaster
Yeovil
Swindon
MK Dons
Crawley
---------------
Tranmere
Crewe
Stevenage

This may be of no interest to anyone, but it was to me so I thought I'd share my research.

We would have been fifth in the table until a few years ago when Brighton & Hove was promoted to city status!.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
This is the kind of research I love.

Please can we have the leagues by population and the leagues by support

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
West Brom is part of Birmingham
Wigan / Bolton / Blackburn are parts of Manchester?
I don't get it?

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I don't get it?

West Bromwich is NOT part of Birmingham! It's part of Sandwell.

And the lancs teams are also not part of Manchester although they are considered to be within the old "Greater Manchester"

If you said that to one of their fans they'd skin you!

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Blackburn is about 3 days by camel from Manchester!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

And the lancs teams are also not part of Manchester although they are considered to be within the old "Greater Manchester"

If you said that to one of their fans they'd skin you!
WBA is debatable. In fact, half of West Brom's ground actually lies in Birmingham and half in Sandwell. Their closest neighbours are Aston Villa. In reality, if you look at the map of Birmingham, Villa are south, Birmingham east and WBA are west - they must draw some of their support from within Birmingham city limits.

el punal

WBA is debatable. In fact, half of West Brom's ground actually lies in Birmingham and half in Sandwell. Their closest neighbours are Aston Villa. In reality, if you look at the map of Birmingham, Villa are south, Birmingham east and WBA are west - they must draw some of their support from within Birmingham city limits.

When I worked in Manchester, many moons ago, I was amazed that the majority of fans in the city supported "Citeh" and United drew their local support from Salford/Stretford and to the west of the city. And then, of course, from Torquay, Plymouth, Norwich, Isle of Wight etc., etc., !! Could have all changed now though.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

West Brom
Whilst West Brom has it's own status, isn't it basically part of the Birmingham sprawl?

EDIT - I see this has already been discussed.

I don't get it?
Bolton is close, but definitely separate. Blackburn and Wigan are miles away. Unless you think we're part of London.

I'd think it is population wise.

Last edited:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
As somebody that (currently, for the time being) is exiled in the Black Country, I can assure you that saying West Brom is in Birmingham, is almost as offensive as saying Brighton is just an extension of London. Although, in Geographical terms it is very close, and the ground is right on the fringes of Sandwell.

In terms of the fan base of West Brom, is is mostly drawn from the Sandwell and Dudley boroughs. Brummies tend to support their own teams and the northern parts of Dudley borough (Sedgley, Coseley) tend to be the fringes where you get both Wolves fans and West Borm fans.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Not to be confused with the Nonce City League, of course.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
West Brom's ground being half in Birmingham is like ours being half in Lewes. You are NOT telling me we are a Lewes club and thus not part of a city are you??

West Brom are very deffo Sandwell, not Brum and thus should be in that league table :thumbsup:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As somebody that (currently, for the time being) is exiled in the Black Country, I can assure you that saying West Brom is in Birmingham, is almost as offensive as saying Brighton is just an extension of London.
I'm not offended if someone says Brighton is an extension of London, because they're just wrong.

West Brom may have a different identity to Birmingham, but it is part of the same sprawl of population. It's not relevant whether that offends them or not.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I think you'll find that Milton Keynes is a city, although you could argue that it is a contravention of the Trades Descriptions Act.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
It's not on the official list I search on.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
This thread was MADE for pedants.

People who get a thrill out of correcting people on things that really don't matter.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here