Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Running Advice

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
I've been running regularly for about 3 years now 2-3 times a week. Nothing too serious. Usually anything from 3-5 miles as well as a bit of interval training as well.

The problem that has been a feature over these last 3 years has been 'heavy legs'.

For example yesterday I went on a 4 miler. The second I started running it felt like I had lead weights attached to my legs. I managed to grin and bear it until the 4 mile point but it wasn't pleasant. On the rare occasion I'm not having to contend with this I can absolutely smash it (just recently on one of these such days I pushed at 10 miles in 1hr 38mins).

The 'heavy legs' I talk about isn't fatigue from previous workouts as I only go running every 3-4 days, in fact I don't suffer from any post run aches at all (with the exception of the 10 miler maybe)

Are there any solutions to this as its really holding me back? When I do have one of my rare strong days I love it and could easily push out half marathons, however, this issue just makes it a complete chore.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Can't say that I've ever felt that way unless it's fatigue from a previous run or gym session. How old are you?

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Can't say that I've ever felt that way unless it's fatigue from a previous run or gym session. How old are you?

28 :-(

I've been running regularly for about 3 years now 2-3 times a week. Nothing too serious. Usually anything from 3-5 miles as well as a bit of interval training as well.

The problem that has been a feature over these last 3 years has been 'heavy legs'.

For example yesterday I went on a 4 miler. The second I started running it felt like I had lead weights attached to my legs. I managed to grin and bear it until the 4 mile point but it wasn't pleasant. On the rare occasion I'm not having to contend with this I can absolutely smash it (just recently on one of these such days I pushed at 10 miles in 1hr 38mins).

The 'heavy legs' I talk about isn't fatigue from previous workouts as I only go running every 3-4 days, in fact I don't suffer from any post run aches at all (with the exception of the 10 miler maybe)

Are there any solutions to this as its really holding me back? When I do have one of my rare strong days I love it and could easily push out half marathons, however, this issue just makes it a complete chore.

Some advice from a middle aged pro who has run 35-40 miles every single week for 17 years without injury.
Some light stretching before you run & go for this routine each day: Hard run, easy run, hard run, rest day.
Rest/easy days are just as important as harder days. After a few weeks your legs will be stronger & fine. Do as much of your running off road & don't forget those hills!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Dropping one's yoghurt prior to a run can weaken the legs. Best to go out with full sacks so you have the strength to push on.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Dropping one's yoghurt prior to a run can weaken the legs. Best to go out with full sacks so you have the strength to push on.

That'll be where I've been going wrong

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Could be that your dehydrated or running whilst you are tired, try running first thing before work .

This was my first thought. I definitely don't drink enough water in all honesty.

I've tried first thing in the morning but that's even worse as it takes me a good few hours for my body to fully wake up. Generally speaking I do seem better when I'm not at work so perhaps fatigue could be a factor.

4-p

Sep 3, 2011
Shoreham
+1 to poidy and fozzy,

Might be worth considering some sort of caffeine or sugar boost shortly (ish) before.

It can give u the mental strength to ignore it rather then battle on.
However if there is a problem this will mask it and could make it worse.

Hydration, stretching and resting will get more important as you age.

One thing I found was that when I ran through tiredness my technique became lazy and my heals took a bigger impact making all leg joints and my back ache.
Which gives even more weight to the experienced advice from poidy

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
How long have you been running in your current shoes? Are they still giving you the support/cushioning you need? Otherwise, listen to Fozzy - he talks sense.

Oh, and HTFU!

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
This was my first thought. I definitely don't drink enough water in all honesty. I've tried first thing in the morning but that's even worse as it takes me a good few hours for my body to fully wake up. Generally speaking I do seem better when I'm not at work so perhaps fatigue could be a factor.

on a differnet note, drink more water anyway, I had kidney stones this time last year through lack of water and boy you dont want them.

How long have you been running in your current shoes? Are they still giving you the support/cushioning you need? Otherwise, listen to Fozzy - he talks sense.

Oh, and HTFU!

If you are running more than twice a week you will need more than one pair of running shoes. As sports go running is cheap so don't skip on the footwear. I always have a minimum of 8 pairs of running shoes. Sounds extravagant but it isn't. 4 pairs for road & 4 pairs for trail.

Now here is the big tip. For each pair of shoes record how many miles you run. If you buy a decent pair then race up to 150 miles in each pair, train up to 400 miles & plod up to 500 miles. Thereafter use the shoe as for casual purposes & the garden. That way you will reduce the risk of injury to your feet greatly.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

That explains why I have never seen Cliff Richard in the marathon.

Good ole NSC, it's a living breathing encyclopaedia of FACTOIDS.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
If you are running more than twice a week you will need more than one pair of running shoes. As sports go running is cheap so don't skip on the footwear. I always have a minimum of 8 pairs of running shoes. Sounds extravagant but it isn't. 4 pairs for road & 4 pairs for trail.
I think I need to go shopping. I currently have one pair for each.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
running on concrete is not good for you..... go swimming - much better.

30 here and was going to say EXACTLY this.

Running on concrete is fine some times but you definitly need to mix it up with some runs on softer ground.

Swims are excellent and the occasional bike ride (or static bike in gym) will help.

You probably over use the key running muscles and guessing under use other ones as don't do much else? Have a game of squash with a mate or relative as a one off........ go play netball with a bunch of cheerleaders (long story) anything to mix it up a bit and your runs will improve.

Lastly hills are my bane and give me 'heavy legs' but no idea if they should? Steps up the cliffs do too but to a lesser extent

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London

Im not as committed to running as you are but I do about 12km a week and I use the Nike + running app which for me is ideal as more of a motivator device. The water intake and post run supplements (creatine/protein) help your recovery quicker in time for your next run. Seems to work quite well for me.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'm thinking that this has nothing to do with muscle tiredness or injuries due to running on concrete or in old trainers - [MENTION=14284]poidy[/MENTION] says that he only runs every 3-4 days and doesn't mention actually pain just 'heavy legs'. This sounds more like a weakness in your legs, which can be caused by something affecting the neural pathways - do you ever get any pins and needles or loss of sensation?. Plenty of things could cause this such as a trapped nerve in your spine, awkward sleeping position or bad posture. It's something that you could probably do with speaking to a physio about, or if you don' think it's a nervous problem then maybe try posting your complaint on a more running specific forum to reach a wider running audience.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Make sure your eating a full diet and not running at a calory deficit.

I'm either running or swimming every day and sluggishness for me is usually not having eaten enough or got enough sleep!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here