Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help! Any postmen out there?

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Turning to the oracle of NSC again....

A good friend of mine sent me a birthday card containing a gift card...... To the wrong blinkin address, one that does not exist, a mishmash of my flat # and road but the wrong house number and Brighton postcode (although the post code he put on does exist). Christ knows what he was drinking at the time.

I have been to the house number on my road he sent it to (no flats there) and no joy.

What does the sorting office do with mail that is labelled with a non existant address? (There was no return address on the card)

Help!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

A good friend of mine sent me a birthday card containing a gift card...... To the wrong blinkin address, one that does not exist, a mishmash of my flat # and road but the wrong house number and Brighton postcode (although the post code he put on does exist). Christ knows what he was drinking at the time.

I have been to the house number on my road he sent it to (no flats there) and no joy.

What does the sorting office do with mail that is labelled with a non existant address? (There was no return address on the card)

Help!
RM does what it can to track down a correct address.

Occasionally people will have 'wrong' parts of an address crossed through with Try Horsham (for example) written on it.

This sounds like it's too wrong, it'll get pushed around the office and you might get lucky, unless you're Mr Smith!.
But it'll end up going to Doncaster or Belfast or somewhere, but with nothing on the inside, it'll be burned.

blackprince

Jul 16, 2007
From the Post Office website:

We make every effort to make sure you get your mail, so we keep it for 18 days. After that, we have to return it to the sender if there’s a readable address on the outside. If we do have to return anything, we’ll attach a sticker explaining why we couldn’t deliver.

If there’s no return address on the outside, we send mail to the National Returns Centre in Belfast. They’ll open the mail and return it if the name and address of the sender is inside, as long as it’s not a newspaper, magazine or advertising.

The vast majority of items are sorted to a local delivery office based on the address post code. As your friend included a valid post code I would try the sorting office for that area first. I know that the main sorting office for Brighton is North Road, but as I do not live in the ciity, I do not know whether it goes from there to satelitte offices to be further sorted into rounds.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011

Help!

Wasn't for a garden center was it? ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here