Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who is better equipped for the premiership

Sloughseagull

Apr 23, 2013
Slough
Now Cardiff, and looks pretty much like Hull, are in the premiership and we go up via the playoffs who do you think is better equipped to survive the first season? Also how much do you think we need to spend in he transfer market in order for us to compete as it was recently quoted £25m is not enough. One last question, how many of our current squad are good enough for the premiership?

In my opinion I think we would be better equipped if we can keep the likes of Bridcutt, Bridge and Ulloa. Think Spanish Dave, Orlandi and a fit Vicente could do a job for us but I am struggling for anybody else.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Now Cardiff, and looks pretty much like Hull, are in the premiership and we go up via the playoffs who do you think is better equipped to survive the first season? Also how much do you think we need to spend in he transfer market in order for us to compete as it was recently quoted £25m is not enough. One last question, how many of our current squad are good enough for the premiership?

In my opinion I think we would be better equipped if we can keep the likes of Bridcutt, Bridge and Ulloa. Think Spanish Dave, Orlandi and a fit Vicente could do a job for us but I am struggling for anybody else.

Be interested to know who u think out of the cardiff/hull squads look able to compete in the premier league

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Cardiff will have at least a 1 month start on the playoff winner regarding building a squad for the Prem. Hull/Watford will have 3 or 4 weeks.

That could be crucial if all the teams are looking in the same area for players - it means that Cardiff can get their bids in first and sign-up those they want (and meet the wage demands). It might be different with us as we could be looking in a slightly different direction (Spain, South America) so the players we have in mind may still be available.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I think Cardiff will need to completely refresh their team in order to compete - they are clearly an organised side, but from what I've seen they don't have an edge. Their owner has already said that there will be £25 million to spend on players and I think they'll need it.

Same for Hull, and us.

The only advantage I could see for the Albion over the other two if we somehow fluked our way into the top flight is that the brand of football we play is more compatible with the Premier League - but we are still short of being a side that might stay up.

Sloughseagull

Apr 23, 2013
Slough
Be interested to know who u think out of the cardiff/hull squads look able to compete in the premier league

Cardiff, David Marshall, Peter Whittinham, Rudy Gestede, Heider Helgusson, Fraizer Campbell and Craig Bellamy.
Hull, Robert Koren, Corry Evans, Mohamed Gedo, abdoulaye Faye, Ahmed Elmohamady and David Meyler.

Fom what I have seen from both of these teams neither are any better than us. I believe the above could do a job for their teams but need to spend money. Our style of football will suit the premiership. Hull grinding out 1-0 wins in the Championship is one thing but doing it in the premiership is another.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Now, firstly, I'm biased towards us (obviously) but I do normally try and detach from that.

However, I have to say, I honestly think we would be in a much better position than Cardiff or Hull if we were to go up for one 2 reasons alone, and both involving player recruitment.

1 - Gus. He has a reputation and that little something that makes players want to play for him. You get 3 offers for the same money and go to meet the 3 managers. Steve Bruce.....Malkay Mackay...or Gus the flairmaniac wacky-waving arm flailing tube-man. I know which one I would want to work with on a training pitch each day.

2 - A sub point to Gus. We have a KNOWN style. I challenge you to decribe me Hull City and Cardiff's football ethos. The best I hear is "they are solid". Now don't get me wrong. Solid is BLOODY GOOD. It's got them promotion so well done.

However, from a player recruitment point we KNOW what type of player we want. It's VERY specific. Cardiff and Hull are going to dip into a huge pool of 'average' prem players in my opinion. I can just see Bruce signing (off the top of my head), Jon Dean Whitehead, David Vaughan, Tony Hibbert, Phil Neville. That sort of ilk. Obviously good players but probably an 11 of 'solid' players.

We will go the other route. Specific players from all over the shop with technical ability who will carry on our passing style. I could be wrong but I reckon that is a huge benefit.

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
I think we have the 'slight edge' in that with some better quality additions the style we play, not unlike Swansea, gives us some hope we can win games with it - Hull and Cardiff are clearly effective at this level but I wouldn't give them much chance against the QPR and Wigan's of this world with their present squads so I think they will both instantly struggle after perhaps a few surprise wins early doors.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
If Bolton manage to go up, out of say Cardiff and Hull I would say Bolton should/would stay up as there squad is bar far the best squad in the championship and has been all season. They have a depth of squad already the other 7 teams would love to have.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The disadvantage we have is that we won't be able to start recruiting players with any certainty until after the 27th June whereas Cardiff are already in the market place and Hull could join them this saturday.

Woodingdean Gull

Jul 7, 2003
Woodingdean, Brighton
Interesting this as I currently work with a Cardiff supporter who sees most of their games.

We were discussing this point about who is better equipped to stay in the Prem and he immediatelt said we were. He saw us beat Cardiff 2-0 and was most impressed with how we did it.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Cardiff are possibly the "worst" championship winners I've seen over the past few years. I don't mean that they don't deserve it, they've achieved promotion with change to spare, but they just don't excite or inspire at any level. They will struggle in the premier league unless they have a root and branch overhaul. Brighton are a very different proposition and are by far the most suited to the prem.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Remember, going up as Champions isnt an advantage. Reading are about to be relegated straight away where as West Ham (who admittedly did have a good squad) arent, even Southampton are doing better than Reading.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Buckley is good enough for prem for me..

We have the best style of football to survive in the prem and we should have clinched an auto spot this season. However, I think all 3 sides that go into the Prem this season will come straight back down - with QPR, Reading & possibly Wigan coming down the remaining prem sides will be too strong for promoted clubs to survive.

FFS Villa are clinging on to survival with all their support, players and money.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Now, firstly, I'm biased towards us (obviously) but I do normally try and detach from that.

However, I have to say, I honestly think we would be in a much better position than Cardiff or Hull if we were to go up for one 2 reasons alone, and both involving player recruitment.

1 - Gus. He has a reputation and that little something that makes players want to play for him. You get 3 offers for the same money and go to meet the 3 managers. Steve Bruce.....Malkay Mackay...or Gus the flairmaniac wacky-waving arm flailing tube-man. I know which one I would want to work with on a training pitch each day.

2 - A sub point to Gus. We have a KNOWN style. I challenge you to decribe me Hull City and Cardiff's football ethos. The best I hear is "they are solid". Now don't get me wrong. Solid is BLOODY GOOD. It's got them promotion so well done.

However, from a player recruitment point we KNOW what type of player we want. It's VERY specific. Cardiff and Hull are going to dip into a huge pool of 'average' prem players in my opinion. I can just see Bruce signing (off the top of my head), Jon Dean Whitehead, David Vaughan, Tony Hibbert, Phil Neville. That sort of ilk. Obviously good players but probably an 11 of 'solid' players.

We will go the other route. Specific players from all over the shop with technical ability who will carry on our passing style. I could be wrong but I reckon that is a huge benefit.
I like this post. Such a waste though, as we probably won't go up (purely because there will be 4 teams fighting for one place).

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I honestly think we would be competitive as we are. Not saying survive but in with a chance all season.

For all the premier league hype there is a lot of dross in it at the lower end

3 or 4 "premier league" players and think we could survive without question

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here