Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The West Pier

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
As everyone knows, this has been falling into the sea and set alight over a depressingly inactive 30 year period.

When the ruddy hell are the powers that be ever going to do something about it?

It really is a stain on the city if you ask me.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
The West Pier Trust have a lot to answer for if you ask me. They've done little to protect what was left of the pier and haven't even been able to save the land end of what was once a beautiful attraction. Now, instead of any kind of restoration or building or a new more modest pier - as was planned - they want to build a viewing tower on the site.

The trust have lost the support of the city and therefore there is no hope for the West Pier. Sad.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
As everyone knows, this has been falling into the sea and set alight over a depressingly inactive 30 year period.

The fact it wasn't re-built is a stain on the town's/city's/trust's inertia.

The state it's in now, I've kind of got used to it; it's more a sculpture than anything else (even though it obviously wasn't designed that way) and I quite like it that way.

Almost certainly too late now, so I'd let nature take its course.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

The state it's in now, I've kind of got used to it; it's more a sculpture than anything else (even though it obviously wasn't designed that way) and I quite like it that way.

Agree. I quite like it out there, even in it's current state it has an iconic value.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Agree. I quite like it out there, even in it's current state it has an iconic value.

I also like what has become the monument to what was once the West Pier - as do most people who either live or visit Brighton.

Maybe then, the West Pier Trust would do better to somehow preserve the skeletal remains of the old pier rather than erect what would be a second opportunity to pay and see the seafront from a slightly different angle.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Agreed. I went on a tour of the then derelict pier many moons ago and at that point it was worth saving. Now there's nothing to save. Leave be and let it stand as a monument to the Trust's inability to actually ever do something.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
What happened to the bloke last year who said he was prepared to pay to rebuild it, owns Stanmer House?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
But what would everyone take photos of without it?

I like it, see it out of my window every morning. :)

I also like what has become the monument to what was once the West Pier - as do most people who either live or visit Brighton.

Maybe then, the West Pier Trust would do better to somehow preserve the skeletal remains of the old pier rather than erect what would be a second opportunity to pay and see the seafront from a slightly different angle.

Agreed. I went on a tour of the then derelict pier many moons ago and at that point it was worth saving. Now there's nothing to save. Leave be and let it stand as a monument to the Trust's inability to actually ever do something.

This. This. This. and This.

I think many people find it something interesting to look at, to contemplate things past, a slow passage of decay. I'd definitely leave it. And [MENTION=46]Lush[/MENTION] is so right, who hasn't taken a pic of the sun setting behind it? Seriously, it is a beautiful thing in it's own right.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

I think it's lovely, and i'm pretty certain most people in Brighton I know do. It's probably the best thing on the seafront (apart from Jack and Linda's Fish Smokery)

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Everyone seems to like it, maybe the Nobles did us a favour

(I didn't say that)

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I remember the rumour that Chris Eubank was going to buy it many years ago.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

as i understood it, not so much inertia as conflict of interest and bloody mindedness. the trust (or others) instisted it should be restored, but the original design was so flawed it wouldnt/couldnt be given permission. if the trust had allowed modern reconstruction of the main superstructure, the meat of the pier might have been conserved.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The West Pier Trust have a lot to answer for if you ask me. They've done little to protect what was left of the pier and haven't even been able to save the land end of what was once a beautiful attraction. Now, instead of any kind of restoration or building or a new more modest pier - as was planned - they want to build a viewing tower on the site.

The trust have lost the support of the city and therefore there is no hope for the West Pier. Sad.

Is this since Bill Archer took over as Chairman of the West Pier Trust?.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This project needs the touch of Tony Bloom. Maybe this could be his next project, after he's sold the Albion to Bill Gates?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here