Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This guy who sold the fake bomb detectors...

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
What amazes me about this story - he has sold thousands of these thinks that are supposed to be bomb detectors, but are pretty much an empty box with an aerial on top. He's sold them to army's all over the word and made millions of pounds.

Are these defense ministries and armies so gullible that they didn't even test them before buying? I don't get it. If so, they deserve to be ripped off.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Was just about to post the same thing. I know he's essentially a conman, but it's not like he's conning an old lady out of her life savings, these are professional military organisations FFS, you'd think they would test them first.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
The US army tested it by driving a truck with 1 tonne of TNT past it. Needless to say no warning was given. Test complete.

looks like his business model was to bribe officials in tin pot countries to buy his dodgy device.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Maybe he sold them to the Irish?

P.s Sorry if I've offended and Irish people. Mods please delete if inappropriate, Didn't mean to offend anyone.

No, he didn't.

The Irish military, while tiny, is equipped to an extremely high standard as it happens. A benefit of being able to cherrypick equipment from pretty much every other country and not being constrained to supporting domestic industries (cause beyond Timoney making APCs, we don't really have any military ones)

The only country where the military have bought them en masse seems to be Iraq, a lot of other countries including the US seem to have bought small numbers to test then realised they did absolutely nothing. Iraq not really having the military test establishments, or the anti corruption might required to avoid a bribe as suggested.

Feb 3, 2013
No, he didn't.

The Irish military, while tiny, is equipped to an extremely high standard as it happens. A benefit of being able to cherrypick equipment from pretty much every other country and not being constrained to supporting domestic industries (cause beyond Timoney making APCs, we don't really have any military ones)

The only country where the military have bought them en masse seems to be Iraq, a lot of other countries including the US seem to have bought small numbers to test then realised they did absolutely nothing. Iraq not really having the military test establishments, or the anti corruption might required to avoid a bribe as suggested.

The IRA was only well equipped thanks to Colonel Gaddafi during the 70's. With out mad dog then the IRA probably wouldn't have had the capability to carry out such attacks.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
The US army tested it by driving a truck with 1 tonne of TNT past it. Needless to say no warning was given. Test complete.

So how many did they buy?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It's not just about money, though. Innocent people have been mamed and killed because of the fraud. :-(

Quite right. It's a very sick thing to con people on...

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
£50 million for some dowsing rods? Guys a sales GENIUS! Some well placed bribes and some gullible senior officers..the USA just dumped a huge heap of cash on the Iraqis and send "spend that as quick as you can" and everyone is surprised when a con man popped up to mske a fast buck.

I wonder whether those checkpoints have uncovered any covert Golf balls?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The IRA was only well equipped thanks to Colonel Gaddafi during the 70's. With out mad dog then the IRA probably wouldn't have had the capability to carry out such attacks.

Not everything came from Libya , the US weaponry smuggled in did some damage too.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
It's not just about money, though. Innocent people have been mamed and killed because of the fraud. :-(

Precisely - I think he was cynical beyond belief and deserves to get put away for a long, long time.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why on earth would anyone want something which detects fake bombs? Surely detecting real bombs is much more preferable?

Guerrero

Jul 17, 2010
Near Alicante.Spain
I remember a visual joke about an Irish mine detector.
It entailed covering the eyes with the hands and stamping in front of you as you move forward.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here