Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What are the official odds on CHARLTON making it?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You'd expect them to be very long, yet analysing the scenario in detail makes me wonder whether there might actually be some value in that bet.

Charlton are five points behind sixth with an inferior goal difference, so this is what they need:

Beat Middlesbrough away
Beat Bristol City at home

Then they need Bolton to lose both games. Bolton are away to Cardiff and then home to Blackpool. And Forest to lose or draw at Millwall, Leicester to lose at home to Watford, then the two teams to draw on the last day.

I think Bolton are clearly the least likely to uphold their side of the bargain, I don't really fancy Charlton to beat Boro anyway and the chance of all results coming together must be highly unlikely, so I am not suggesting it will happen, but if the odds are 66/1 or better, then funnier things have happened...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Palace losing all three games while Charlton win theirs would also potentially let them in. (7 goal swing required over those five matches)

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
You'd expect them to be very long, yet analysing the scenario in detail makes me wonder whether there might actually be some value in that bet.

Charlton are five points behind sixth with an inferior goal difference, so this is what they need:

Beat Middlesbrough away

Then they need Bolton to lose both games. Bolton are away to Cardiff and then home to Blackpool. And Forest to lose or draw at Millwall, Leicester to lose at home to Watford, then the two teams to draw on the last day.

I think Bolton are clearly the least likely to uphold their side of the bargain, I don't really fancy Charlton to beat Boro anyway and the chance of all results coming together must be highly unlikely, so I am not suggesting it will happen, but if the odds are 66/1 or better, then funnier things have happened...

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/championship/promotion

100/1 with skybet and and coral. 513/10 and 704/19 on "the exchanges" (he says pretending he knows what "exchanges" are)
Go for it man!
Edit: Those prices are for promotion of course, not to make the play-offs.

Last edited:

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
43/1 for beans on Betfair. Bet365 will quote you a price I am sure. Try Steve Freeth on Twitter.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Beat Middlesbrough away 2/1
Beat Bristol City at home EVS
Then they need Bolton to lose both games. Bolton are away to Cardiff EVS and then home to Blackpool 3/1. And Forest to lose or draw at Millwall EVS, Leicester to lose at home to Watford 2/1, then the two teams to draw on the last day 2/1.

I haven't done the sums, but if them making it, does indeed need all the scenarios you've listed, I'd want 200/1

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I haven't done the sums, but if them making it, does indeed need all the scenarios you've listed, I'd want 200/1

Bolton won't lose at home to Blackpool even though there is no love lost there and Blackpool might yet need something. However, that might not matter if Forest and Leicester did their bit and Palace lost their three very loseable games at Blackburn, Millwall and home to Peterborough. In fact, that would be splendid.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

Beat Middlesbrough away

Big Charlton fan here in the office, he doesn't think they'll get a p/o place and he doesn't want them to get one apparently.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I was thinking the exact opposite earlier.

so this is what they need:

Beat Middlesbrough away
1 in 3, and 1 in 2 - so 1 in 6 of that happening.
Then they need Bolton to lose both games. Bolton are away to Cardiff and then home to Blackpool.
1 in 2 and 1 in 3 (at worst) so another 1 in 6 - combined 1 in 36 so far.

And Forest to lose or draw at Millwall, Leicester to lose at home to Watford
2 in 3, and 1 in 4 - so another 1 in 6 - combined 1 in 216
then the two teams to draw on the last day.
Jesus - so two teams playing all out for the win - draw isn't too likely. Overall, 1 in 600 perhaps.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I recall the Charlton fan here pre season telling us that they were dead Certs for relegation and to put our houses on it! What sort of a tipster was he?

Btw I'd want 500/1 on them making play offs as things stand.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I was thinking the exact opposite earlier.

1 in 3, and 1 in 2 - so 1 in 6 of that happening.
1 in 2 and 1 in 3 (at worst) so another 1 in 6 - combined 1 in 36 so far.

2 in 3, and 1 in 4 - so another 1 in 6 - combined 1 in 216
Jesus - so two teams playing all out for the win - draw isn't too likely. Overall, 1 in 600 perhaps.

I knew you'd be along with your six million quotes, and glib, pointlessly contrary load of bollocks. I don't think it will happen either but I stopped reading on your first post. I bet you any money that you will not find a Charlton win at Middlesbrough quoted at 2/1 or better and you DEFINITELY won't find a Charlton home win against Bristol City at evens.

"Jesus", go and check your maths.

Tinpot Man.

Apr 14, 2013
Patcham.
Its something that could happen.. Wouldnt rule it out at all. worth a quid of mine.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Bolton can do what they like. All you need is Palace to lose their 3 remaining games (giving a minimum of -3 goal difference), Leicester lose to Watford and draw with Forest and Forest don't beat Millwall. then Charlton need to win their two games with a goal difference that gives an 8 goal swing between them and Palace (ie if Palace gd is -3 then Charlton need +5).

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
I recall the Charlton fan here pre season telling us that they were dead Certs for relegation and to put our houses on it! What sort of a tipster was he?

Btw I'd want 500/1 on them making play offs as things stand.

That was me and I still maintain the money I have on us being relegated is more likely to pay out then a bet on us making the playoffs.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012

Beat Middlesbrough away

Bloody hell mate, I'd go for a walk if I were you.

Not a chance in hell of those scenarios panning out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here