Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A Proper National Day Of Celebration

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
i think whats important in any discussion of st georges day is to point out as early as possible, that St George was not in fact English and he is patron saint of other countries and things. I like reading that over and over again with all the words in slightly different order.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Friend posted a similar thing on Facebook earlier -

Why not make it Shakespeare Day? The day would be recast as a celebration of the folk culture of England, past and present - street parties and events combining the best of English music, film, theatre, literature, art, folk traditions etc. Make it a national holiday and watch the tourists flood to our shores.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
Friend posted a similar thing on Facebook earlier -

Why not make it Shakespeare Day? The day would be recast as a celebration of the folk culture of England, past and present - street parties and events combining the best of English music, film, theatre, literature, art, folk traditions etc. Make it a national holiday and watch the tourists flood to our shores.

I like that idea, a benign festival of genuine pride.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Well it makes no difference to me as it's my birthday anyway!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
No thanks. Seeing as it's a non-event in this country anyway, trying to turn it into a 'benign festival' smacks of liberal self-loathing. Chuck in a few comments like 'reclaim the flag' and mention of the Sun/Murdoch and it's pretty clear what your agenda is.

I like that most English people don't actually feel the need to make a song and dance about it. If my thread has shown anything it's that we've all had a few moments to consider how awesome we are, come to the conclusion that we're awesome and then gone about our day being awesome.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Well if we are going to have one St George's Day will never be it. If it has not happened by now - I do not see why it should start to capture people's imaginations going forward. Regardless of where St George is from.

I have never felt we have missed out nationally by not having one - and you do not want it to go the way of St Patrick's day that is for sure. I think the old village fetes/garden parties do it for me.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
I like that most English people don't actually feel the need to make a song and dance about it. If my thread has shown anything it's that we've all had a few moments to consider how awesome we are, come to the conclusion that we're awesome and then gone about our day being awesome.

That is just awesome!

I think I would like an England day, village green, cucumber sandwiches, Scouts parade, flags out and a celebration of english beer. And the Shakespear day sounds good.

Trouble is, I don't think you can get that without turning it into an English St Paddys day drinking session or how you keep the EDL and the anti EDL idiots off our streets so normal people can enjoy it.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
but 'what' are you celebrating?

"hello, we were all born on this island, well not the top bit, or the bit on the left, and as we have similar genetics we are going to celebrate."

reminds me of this...

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
eddie izzard really isnt the Go To Guy when it comes to nationality and identity. he is as confused as **** on these sorts of issues.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
That is just awesome!

I think I would like an England day, village green, cucumber sandwiches, Scouts parade, flags out and a celebration of english beer. And the Shakespear day sounds good.

Trouble is, I don't think you can get that without turning it into an English St Paddys day drinking session or how you keep the EDL and the anti EDL idiots off our streets so normal people can enjoy it.

If you can find one instance where the EDL/anti-EDL have ruined a village fete or even a village fete which has descended into something close to the Mardi Gras then I'll concede you have a point.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I think the point that people often miss here is that Ireland is (or was until recently) quite a devout Catholic country, and St Patricks day was mostly a day off so that you could attend mass. OK so it's developed into something else with the diaspora and the fact that Guinness have got hold of it, but that's the origins of it. It's quite unique really - outside of the British isles I couldn't tell you who many nations' patron saints are.

Which is why I find the St George's thing quite ridiculous - nothing against England having a national day, but why should it be on St George's day? Seems like a paranoid reaction to St Patrick's to me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
eddie izzard really isnt the Go To Guy when it comes to nationality and identity. he is as confused as **** on these sorts of issues.

He's funny with it though. That flags sketch is brilliant.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
He's funny with it though. That flags sketch is brilliant.

never said anything about him not being funny. him trying to buy a cow in friesian is brilliant. he is interested in nationality, identity, language etc and thats no bad thing. thats nice for him. he's obviously just a little obsessed and delusional about it all. Thats my little warning about hanging your hat on eddies opinions just because he's on telly and is a bit left wing.

"I'm a British European, I think like an American and I was born in an Arabic country"

what the f uck is that all about. that sort of self defined alternative to the stark boring truth you are just an englishman is all a bit embarassing really.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
All this Saints worship looks like pseudo-religous bollocks to me, and Popery to boot!

Why not have an acheivement day? We abolished slavery, invented trains, modern democracy and stuffed the hun good and proper in 1945!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
There are a lot of Bank Holidays around April/May so why not have Trafalgar Day in October? It's a long haul from August to Christmas without an extra day off, and it isn't religious, although it may upset the French, but then that's usually a good thing.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
There are a lot of Bank Holidays around April/May so why not have Trafalgar Day in October? It's a long haul from August to Christmas without an extra day off, and it isn't religious, although it may upset the French, but then that's usually a good thing.

The government suggested moving the May Day bank holiday a few years ago. Was almost universally unpopular

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here