Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

pc help again please

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have a bundle of 50 CD-R and when trying to write to many it shows up as full, although brand new not used. When going into properties it shows up as blue being used with 0 mb available and 0 mb used . Why is this is it just a bad batch or a problem with PC or settings.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
I have a bundle of 50 CD-R and when trying to write to many it shows up as full, although brand new not used. When going into properties it shows up as blue being used with 0 mb available and 0 mb used . Why is this is it just a bad batch or a problem with PC or settings.

What program are you using to write to the CD?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Nobody come up with an answer to my problem as to whether it is the discs or the pc. Obviously not enough 6 year olds using NSC today and not knowing I have tried the switch off and back on option but no success

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
It could be one of many problems, where did you buy the blank disks from? Have you tried a new batch to see if they work?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
They are Sony discs and as I said some work perfectly others say they are full although not been used. Not sure where I bought them but reluctant to buy more if it is a problem with my pc or its settings rather than the actual discs. I actually tried 4 before I found one that worked ok and each time the same message showed that there was no disc in the drive or it was full.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Ok try downloading Imgburn free software and very very reliable and good.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
CD's? are you in the early 90's? no-one uses them anymore and your pc is probably confused.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
CD's? are you in the early 90's? no-one uses them anymore and your pc is probably confused.

Is the correct answer .. use them as weapons against squirrels and pigeons and go and buy yourself a stick ... you really shouldn't be buggering around with discs

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I scan every letter and every invoice/statement that comes to my house onto a Cd and then at the end of the year put them all on a DVD are you saying I should buy loads of small sticks or one large one and add each statement to the respective file of that bank or whoever. My scan program says copy to cd could I do this to a CD RW and then copy that to the memory stick and then erase the CD and use it again.

Dec 29, 2011
I scan every letter and every invoice/statement that comes to my house onto a Cd and then at the end of the year put them all on a DVD are you saying I should buy loads of small sticks or one large one and add each statement to the respective file of that bank or whoever. My scan program says copy to cd could I do this to a CD RW and then copy that to the memory stick and then erase the CD and use it again.

If you have CD-R you can't use them twice. Once the data is on it can't be re-written. That's why forking out the extra bit of money for CD-RWs is usually better. In future a cheap memory stick would be advised, it takes up less room, is easier to use and you can store all your stuff in one place with seperate folders.

If the CDRs you bought are brand new (i.e. from Tesco, Adsa etc) they should work, open them in My Computer and check the properties.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If you have CD-R you can't use them twice. Once the data is on it can't be re-written. That's why forking out the extra bit of money for CD-RWs is usually better. In future a cheap memory stick would be advised, it takes up less room, is easier to use and you can store all your stuff in one place with seperate folders.

If the CDRs you bought are brand new (i.e. from Tesco, Adsa etc) they should work, open them in My Computer and check the properties.

I realize that CD R can only be used once but you can add to existing files on them surely. I went into my computer and properties and it showed as full with 0 mb used and 0mb available.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

Blimey, I'd ask why you scan everything but sure you have good reason.

One memory stick will have far more capacity, just bung it into one of the several USB ports you have on your laptop / PC and simply save the file. You can create untold amounts of folders and save your various things in there just like you would direct to your C drive (which is another question but I won't ask)

Do not use disks ... totally redundant!!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
And he wonders why he gets insults.

The reply I gave was in response to your reply about asking a 6 year old which was both rude and unnecessary. I asked for advice because obviously I didn't know the answer. Unlike many of the younger people on here I was not bought up with computers and as such the little that I do know I have learnt from asking others that do know and should you not wish to give me the advice that is your prerogative and as such you could just ignore it; but no you had to try to be clever and show that you know something that I don't.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

I have the same problem. The giant pack of -R used to work ok, then stopped working. Occasionally a better quality -RW will work, But I am in the mood to throw the whole machine out of the window, long before I find one that will work.
In my case I think either the software is broken but more likely the burner. I only use it to rip the music onto a disc for the car, so it hasn't bothered me lately as I had a car radio with a socket for an MP3 Player.
This is with Vista and Windows media.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The reply I gave was in response to your reply about asking a 6 year old which was both rude and unnecessary. I asked for advice because obviously I didn't know the answer. Unlike many of the younger people on here I was not bought up with computers and as such the little that I do know I have learnt from asking others that do know and should you not wish to give me the advice that is your prerogative and as such you could just ignore it; but no you had to try to be clever and show that you know something that I don't.

You should seriously consider a data stick. It's much easier than messing around with discs. You plug the stick into a USB port and it will appear as another folder in file manager. You then copy to this folder like you would any other folder.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here