Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus at it again, defending Suarez that is.

Pat McCrotch

Lurker
Oct 25, 2005
Shoreham-by-the-sea
Article in today's Times. Can't link to it so here are the screen shots

imagevdbu.jpg

imageeas.jpg

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He has a point re leg breaking tackles but biting and spitting will never be accepted in English football. I think a headbutt would have received less coverage. You'd want Gus in a foxhole with you in a battle though wouldn't you?

I was hoping he'd keep schtum this time but he is what he is and I'm not sure that I'd want him to change.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Wish he'd have kept quiet too but i do find it pretty odd that defoe got very little grief in comparison for his biting incident a little while ago.

Suarez at the Amex for us if we go up perhaps; Gus preparing the ground with the manager comments??!!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Is he really saying that in Spain biting is less frowned on?

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
Is he really saying that in Spain biting is less frowned on?

No, he is being critical of the media in England in so far as the fact they are constantly drawing attention to Suarez when other people who do similar acts (and sometimes worse) are not having anything said about them.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Strange article. So if Gus was managing Liverpool right now he would quit, go to Spain and sign Suarez?

One observation, he practices what he preaches. His treatment of Barnes has been exceptional man management. Plenty on here wanted him booted out, but I bet they were glad he was still here at 17.00 on Saturday

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
I wish GP would just keep his mouth shut and realise it is none of his business and the sensible option is to say nothing if you have nothing sensible to say - this is his typical of his need to be seen as some great thinker and to have as much newspaper coverage as he can get with the name GP hi-lighted as much as the issue discussed - if he thinks it gives him profile, gravitas and makes him potentially more desirable to other clubs, I think he's well misguided because most owners these days don't want opinionated loose canons at their clubs. Suarez's behaviour is not acceptable, whether it be his casual racism, mindless thuggery, lack of any genuine remorse etc - on the one hand we have BHA at the forefront of wanting more respect in the game especially from those that watch it and on the other we have a manager who tries to 'justify' actions that no right minded person thinks is ok in this day and age. Please TB, tell him to concentrate on his job here (it's not like we are not in a very critical period at the moment) and to keep his opinions to himself for a change!

thony

Jul 24, 2011
Hollingbury
The most strange thing here for me is that it's a Times "exclusive". Can't see Gus really giving them an exclusive when he's usually so keen to talk to the local press. You don't think a reporter has made up this story, do you?

D

Deleted member 2719

What's Gus's angle on this one, Liverpool manager! Because he would manage Luis better, we do have a time bomb manager but how many more seconds on his clock?

It's great he likes to defend people but he should not be getting involved with this and luis or any other player in England needs to play to OUR rules not school ground rules or be punished.

Gus is starting to believe his S**T doesn't smell.

How does TB manage him? Will he get shot of him the minute we get in the top flight?

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
While I find the whole biting thing obnoxious, the thing is that Gus seems to be right on the issue of the hypocrisy surrounding this whole episode. The media is loving it and is whipping it up for all it is worth. Also, Liverpool's protestions of innocence and of their "proud history" sound a little hollow given that they had no problems with apparent racism not so long ago.

It all stinks and I'm not going to get upset at Gus for pointing it out.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I can.

Biting is totally and utterly unacceptable in any walk of life, let alone on a football pitch. Gus should keep his bloody trap shut and let the authorities deal with this. Just because Suarez is his Uruguayan mate doesn't everything he does can be justified.

You're missing the point of the Interview. Poyet is not saying that what he done is acceptable.

However the purpose of Poyets interview is that other players do and get away with more and I have to agree.

Terry, Ferdinand, Beckham, Rooney have all been guilty of misdemeanours on and off the pitch.You also get players making career threatening & two footed challenges.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Agree completely with him about tackling.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
He's missing the point completely when comparing it with a bad tackle or the like. I'm sure we can all to some extent or other empathise with someone who's angry and gone in 'over the top' or whatever, but I doubt many of us can relate to what Suarez did. It was irrational and simply off the radar of a 'normal' reaction. He has got issues and needs to address them, regardless of the country he happens to be playing in.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Why one awful piece of behaviour has to be compared to another and not just condemned in its own right is beyond me.
To highlight hypocrisy in the media ? Rubbish . He kept nearly all of the Barnes business behind closed doors but feels the need to comment on Suarez every time he acts like a twunt simply because he knows the kid. It's not just comment either, it's just his usual " I'll go then " crap.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here