Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where did the Blackpool game rank for you?

Jimmy Grimble

In the Amex era? And in all the years you've supported Brighton?

At the Amex only Palace and Doncaster were better, and that's mostly for the passion that came with the celebrations on those occasions. The first and second goal on Saturday were celebrated quite wildly, but after that it just felt like cruise control in what was the most complete Albion performance at the Amex so far, IMO.

So for me at the Amex it's: Doncaster, Palace, Blackpool.

In all the years I've supported the Albion (I'm 21), it would comfortably be in the top 10 for the level of enjoyment it brought throughout the whole 90 minutes, although other occasions sparked much more fervent celebrations due the occasions. I suspect if we do go onto get promoted, the Blackpool game will be looked back upon as one of the moments - if not the definitive moment - when the squad really began to come into their own.

Last edited:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
There's a thread with a link to some vids of the game.

Hand held & jumpy they may be but the quality shines through. Although I was there, watching the way we toyed with Blackpool was just stunning.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I just thought it was stunning that when most clubs are using the 'lads were tired its been a long hard season' excuse the Albion side looked fresh as daisies and completely up for it. Not a side in the division that could live with us in that form. Well apart from Watford on a good day maybe. They'd come pretty close. Cardiff wouldn't get a look in.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
It was right up there with one of the best. Incomparable to games like Hereford and Donny as there was so much more at stake. However, the way we played Saturday was technically the best performance I've ever seen from a Brighton side in 35 years.

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
I had to miss Donny game, so did the SSC final, and Gary Hart scoring First goal at the Amex.

most memorable would be the Arsenal game. Great atmosphere and hopefully a sign of things to come!

HenryC

Mar 27, 2010
South West!
Yes we played some good stuff but Blackpool were terrible. As a contest it lacked excitement after halftime. For Amex matches I preferred: (in no particular order)

Leeds last year.
Doncaster last year.
Bolton this year.
Arsenal.
Palace this year.
Burnley last year.
Newcastle (both games)

Having said that I thought the Buckley and Orlandi goals on Saturday were amongst the best at our new home so far...

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
1. Donny.
2. St Patrick's day massacre.
3. Burnley last season.
4. Leeds this season.
5. Newcastle this season.
6. Arsenal.
7. Newcastle last season.

It is hard to order games after that.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
As i wasn't there, it's hard to judge. Based on the games i've seen, it'll always by Donny & Burnley.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Doncaster, Palace, Then a number of games, Burnley last season, Leeds last season, sheff wed this season, blackpool this season and Arsenal this season.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
The Blackpool game was one of the more clinical demolition jobs I have seen us do over 90 minutes on another team. There are many other games over the years where we have dominated for long periods but this was a complete performance for the whole game.

It won't outrank Rochdale '72, Newcastle '79, Highbury and Wembley '83 and a few others as definitive historic Albion games.

But in terms of all round technical ability this was among the best. Blackpool were poor and defended naively but we still had to create and then take our chances. We did so in a manner that seemed like it was a training game. The scary thing is to look at the quality of players we had a) on the pitch b) on the bench and c) out injured. The current squad is right up there in terms of the quality of footie it can play.

There were several games during our pomp from '76 to '79 when we played with a swagger and level of technical skill, especially when Lawrenson so clinically owned opposing forwards and Peter Ward made defenders look like mugs such that you just expected a goal at any time. Several sides got humbled by us in a similar manner to Blackpool. However IMHO the Mullery era squad would not collectively match the current one (it would be a hell of a good game though!).

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Games where we hand out a gubbing never rate that highly for me, much prefer to see a rollercoaster 3-2 win where all three results are still probable for the majority of the match.

Last edited:

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I was on the train back to Brighton with some Blackpool fans who were in serious denial, the one sensible comment was "they don't cheer for long when they score" Simple answer the game lacked the tension required for a good contest. Don't get me wrong, I am happy to watch us spanking sides week in week out, but for sheer unadulterated joy, you need the opposition to put up a good fight. It is not poetic, original or even witty, but it is hard to beat a heart felt "you're not singing anymore"

Yes it has really come to this. If the likes of Barnsley, Sheff Wednesday and Blackpool come to the Amex and are not prepared to fight, they will get blown away and if the likes of Charlton dig in and ride their luck, they will get some credit. It is incredible to think that we are only 5 point above where we were last season at this stage, but there is no longer the slight feeling of astonishment that we have managed to beat some of the big boys of the Championship. Expectations have been raised to the next level.

So I would rank some of last season's home wins higher, Southampton, Ipswich and Newcastle.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
It was right up there with one of the best. Incomparable to games like Hereford and Donny as there was so much more at stake. However, the way we played Saturday was technically the best performance I've ever seen from a Brighton side in 35 years.

Blimey..big, big call....Technically, it was a very good performance against moderate opposition. I go back nearly 50 years and the trouble is that your memory fades. Blackpool and its delights are fresh in the mind and we are all still savouring it.
I can remember some superb displays that weren't always reflected in the scoreline.
1) 1972. Bournemouth..2-0..30,000..Napier and Sully...superb display of attacking football.
2) 1977. Ipswich..replay..2-1..Top opposition, Kevin Beattie running riot from full back and we outplayed them.
3) Same LC run..WBA...away...2-0...dominated opposition two divisions higher...Wardy unstoppable.
4) Walsall 7-0...not a 90 minute display. Just 28 minutes of brilliance..Ward and Mellor..as good as it gets,
5) 1983..Man City..FAC4..4-0..Just blew them away..Casey brilliant...Bond sacked.
6) 1984..Charlton...7-0...came to the Goldstone unbeaten...5-0 at HT...Case unstoppable.
....just a few from a previous era...and more recently....
7) Peterboro away..3-0..could easily have been 6 or 7....complete control from start to finish.
8) Orient 5-0...Murray at his clinical best...game won in 2nd gear.
Blackpool is the best 90 minute display at the Amex. Behind Donny and Palace ( Mar17 ) for raw emotion and technically sustained longer than a) opening phase v Palace last season and b) opening 20-25 mins v Blackburn this season.
After the game, I was trying not to get too carried away and said to some friends that I thought Blackpool were very ordinary. One of them reminded me that before Saturday, they were 5 games unbeaten and had only conceded 3 goals in that time!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
After the game, I was trying not to get too carried away and said to some friends that I thought Blackpool were very ordinary. One of them reminded me that before Saturday, they were 5 games unbeaten and had only conceded 3 goals in that time!

That is a very good point. When we win emphatically, I get fed up with people saying that the opposition were poor or even terrible. It diminishes our brilliant play imo. Blackpool were well and truly beaten but they weren't a poor side. They were a good side who unfortunately met us on a really good day at the office where everything we did just clicked into place. Long may it continue.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Absolutely awful, out til 4am the night before, up at 12.30, straight to the game and sat there thinking I was going to be sick for 90 minutes, other than that, excellent. :lolol:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I just thought it was stunning that when most clubs are using the 'lads were tired its been a long hard season' excuse the Albion side looked fresh as daisies and completely up for it. Not a side in the division that could live with us in that form. Well apart from Watford on a good day maybe. They'd come pretty close. Cardiff wouldn't get a look in.

Don't want to go off piste in this thread, but Blackpool may not have been a bad side, but they messed up tactically. They gave us space. We struggle to beat teams that get in our grill (18 draws). So plenty can live with us - very few can beat us.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I get fed up with people saying that the opposition were poor or even terrible. It diminishes our brilliant play imo.

Yes we were brilliant, utterly divine football from the Albion - many are saying the best in 35 years! That doesn't mean we can't take a look at Blackpool, who came here in fine form, only to give us a huge amount of space. They looked distinctly poor and at times terrible - but we were brilliant. I'm celebrating how good we were and laughing at the awful display Blackpool put on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here