Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why isn't the FA Cup final at the end of the season?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Realise it's probably been like this for a few seasons now, but Wigan have two Premier League fixtures still to come after the final. Seems unfair on them to have this massive game in the middle of their fight against relegation. Why do the FA keep messing around with it - surely it should be held after all the league games have finished, (would certainly make it more 'special'?). Anyone know what the justification is for moving it?

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
the fa cup has totally been killed in recent years.......big shame.......but all the wonga is in the champions league these days.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Remember when Sunderland beat leeds in '73

Still had a home game left to QPR

had the FA Cup on show,Stan Bowles apparently had a wager who could knock the Cup over

D

Deleted member 18477

The FA Cup just isn't the same anymore. Only thing that will change that is giving champions league spot to winner and not 4th place.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Remember when Sunderland beat leeds in '73

Still had a home game left to QPR

had the FA Cup on show,Stan Bowles apparently had a wager who could knock the Cup over

Yes, happened occasionally when teams had outstanding fixtures - not built into the schedule though.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The FA Cup just isn't the same anymore. Only thing that will change that is giving champions league spot to winner and not 4th place.

The game isn't the same anymore. So many reasons why, but I fear you're suggestion would only increase the dominance of the top clubs winning it.

If anything, I'd force the Premier League clubs that have qualified for the CL to have to field 9 home grown players, 6 of which should be U23 and from the clubs academy/youth programme. It would mean the smaller clubs would start taking it seriously as they really would have more of a chance to win. It would also force the top clubs to bring young players through thus helping feed into the national team.

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
I don't have a major problem with it not being the last game of the season, but what annoys me more is that it isn't a 3:00 kick-off anymore. Also there shouldn't be any top flight games played that weekend.

Jan 30, 2008
Realise it's probably been like this for a few seasons now, but Wigan have two Premier League fixtures still to come after the final. Seems unfair on them to have this massive game in the middle of their fight against relegation. Why do the FA keep messing around with it - surely it should be held after all the league games have finished, (would certainly make it more 'special'?). Anyone know what the justification is for moving it?
BECAUSE THE GAMES ****ED how can the Champoins league be more important than the FA CUP final ...... OH SILLY ME IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY ISN'T IT :rant:

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
Its nothing do to with the Chgampions league final at Wembly because this has been happening for years now. The FA Cup has been devalued by Sky wanting the season's finale to be about the premier league and not the FA cup

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
does my memory serve me right,but didn't it used to be

FA Cup Final-Saturday

European Cup Final-Wednesday

England-Scotland-Saturday

Now,what was wrong with that!

Jan 30, 2008
Its nothing do to with the Chgampions league final at Wembly because this has been happening for years now. The FA Cup has been devalued by Sky wanting the season's finale to be about the premier league and not the FA cup
sky have devalued football end of, AND STILL WE SUCK UP TO THEM :angry:
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here