Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Funny Video about gunlaws this time!!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
While I am on a roll I thought you might like this one too!

[video=vimeo;64432171]http://vimeo.com/64432171[/video]

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I'll see your funny video, and raise you an informative video.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
You win Dingo, yours were funnier. I particularly liked the bit in the 2nd vid with the graph showing the dates along the X axis; 1998, 1995, 2002, 1995, 2002...

I'm off to buy a gun in the hope of one day joining the eternal, peaceful, Mexican stand off.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
You win Dingo, yours were funnier. I particularly liked the bit in the 2nd vid with the graph showing the dates along the X axis; 1998, 1995, 2002, 1995, 2002...

I'm off to buy a gun in the hope of one day joining the eternal, peaceful, Mexican stand off.

"Axis is labelled incorrectly, your argument is invalid."

:rolleyes:

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

From the article:

"When gun advocates use Australian crime stats, they sometimes employ a number of misleading tricks and sleights of hand. These tricks are common to several politically charged debates, and are a form of pseudo-science."

"The selective use of data, or cherry picking, is a commonly used method of extracting the “right” answer."

"When the most relevant statistics give the “wrong” answer, advocates often switch to less relevant statistics that give the “right” answer."

"Logical fallacies are very common in charged political debates."

Clearly this is an objective article :rolleyes:

In epic fashion the author also provides us with an example of what he described with his patronizing analysis quoted above.

Here is an example of a "misleading trick and sleight of hand". Also, a "logical fallacy".

In the Wall Street Journal, Joyce Lee Malcolm stated

"In 2008, the Australian Institute of Criminology reported a decrease of 9% in homicides and a one-third decrease in armed robbery since the 1990s, but an increase of over 40% in assaults and 20% in sexual assaults."

The implication is gun control has increased assaults and sexual assaults. This is completely misleading.

Weapons (including knives) are only used in 13% of assaults and 2% of sexual assaults in Australia. Firearms are rarely the weapon used, and only 0.3% of assaults in New South Wales used firearms.

Firearm use is almost completely irrelevant to assault and sexual assault in Australia, and cannot be driving changes in these crimes. Suggesting otherwise is deceptive.

Weapons and particularly guns are not used in the majority of assaults & sexual assaults, however, consider that assaults & sexual assaults may be deterred or prevented, by the victim or another person, where firearms are lawfully held by citizens. So actually it is easy to see how it is relevant. A "Deceptive", "Sleights of hand" if ever I saw one.

The author also generously gives us an example of "The selective use of data, or cherry picking", by explaining "reality" to us (or "extracting the right answer"), in the form of 3 statistics.

Back to reality

So what is the reality? Homicide and suicide rates have declined in Australia since the 1990s. Deaths results from firearms have plunged even more dramatically. In Australia, mass shootings similar to Port Arthur, Hoddle Street and Strathfield have not occurred for over a decade.

Is this the result of the gun laws introduced by the Howard government? While some (particularly gun advocates) dispute their impact, several studies conclude the laws have made a difference.

Claims that Australian gun laws have increased crime are pure spin and deception. They say more about American partisan politics than about the reality in Australia.

The author is correct about one thing, all politically charged debates will have those on one side or another who will be prepared to use spin and deception to make their point.

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
From the article:

Clearly this is an objective article :rolleyes:

In epic fashion the author also provides us with an example of what he described with his patronizing analysis quoted above.

Here is an example of a "misleading trick and sleight of hand". Also, a "logical fallacy".

Weapons and particularly guns are not used in the majority of assaults & sexual assaults, however, consider that assaults & sexual assaults may be deterred or prevented, by the victim or another person, where firearms are lawfully held by citizens. So actually it is easy to see how it is relevant. A "Deceptive", "Sleights of hand" if ever I saw one.

The author also generously gives us an example of "The selective use of data, or cherry picking", by explaining "reality" to us (or "extracting the right answer"), in the form of 3 statistics.

The author is correct about one thing, all politically charged debates will have those on one side or another who will be prepared to use spin and deception to make their point.

So presumably you are going to provide some data to show that the US has lower rates of assaults and sexual assaults per capita than Australia? This would show that guns are an effective deterrent?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I'll see your funny video, and raise you an informative video.

I have watched half of the first video Dingo and frankly I am surprised that you are putting it forward as 'informative'. Most of the stuff you post i find to be interesting and credible but this video is pure propaganda. It is full of unreferenced "fact", full of opinion and that bit about 'home invasion' is frankly embarrassing. One person telling us it is a new phenomena another critising the politicians for not defining it (I have lived here 10 years and never heard of it). Then we get the 'concerned resident' defining it as someone coming in your house uninvited, does this mean it is trespass, breaking and entering, salesmen. So infact it is not a new phenomena it has been around for ever. Still it allow the producer to use a really scary example of someone being tied up in their house (no use of guns is mentioned in this example i note).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here