Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Injury Time

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
Was anyone else mildly annoyed that there were only 4 minutes added at the end of the game yesterday?

I wanted more as I didn't want it to end.

Given that Kuszczak (and their guy) was injured for several minutes and that there were 6 substitutions, I was expecting 6 or 7 minutes. It's almost as if they add less time if the result is beyond doubt.

Hans Kraay

Aug 3, 2003
Church Langley, Essex
Nope!!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I thought it was three minutes....

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just a small point. Radio Sussex said at one game that the 4th official has decided that there will be 4 mins injury time I always thought it was the ref indicated the time to the 4th official not him decide. Was it just a slip of the tongue or is that true

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
It was definitely three minutes - and was a huge underestimate. All six subs and a long injury treatment. I was expecting a minimum of 4, possibly 5 or 6. Perhaps the 4th official felt sorry for Blackpool? Bit of a shame as I reckon we would have scored another.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
When England beat San Marino 8-0, there were no minutes of added time at the end of the match, even though there probably should've been 2 or 3. I think when the scoreline starts getting large they don't see the need to add lots.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I thought it was three minutes....

Correct, yet PIG was injured for SIX minutes.

Add to that 30 seconds for each sub (6 x 30) plus 30 seconds per goal (4 x 30) which refs are supposed to add and that equates to a minimum of 11 minutes added time.

The referee also failed to make Taylor Fletcher leave the pitch after he was injured so will be heavily makes down by the assessor at the game yesterday.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The 30secs per sub/goal is a guideline only, it can be longer if subs take up more time, or shorter less time taken. Same with goals.

Though I thought it would be longer because of the injury and because the ref also made a bit of a meal of letting orlandi know taking a shot after he had been blown off side wasn't going to be accepted again, and that he was adding time on so it wouldn't be a waste.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It was definitely a case of damage limitation control from the 4th official. And to the poster that said he thinks it's the refs decision, no it isn't, it is the 4th mans decision. It is the decision of the ref to play longer or not.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I know it's being a bit pedantic, but there were only FIVE substitutions during the 2nd half.
Blackpool's first was before the half started.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It was definitely a case of damage limitation control from the 4th official. And to the poster that said he thinks it's the refs decision, no it isn't, it is the 4th mans decision. It is the decision of the ref to play longer or not.

It is the ref's decision. From the laws of the game:

Allowance for time lost
Many stoppages in play are entirely natural (e.g. throw-ins, goal kicks). An allowance is to be made only when these delays are excessive.
The fourth official indicates the minimum additional time decided by the referee at the end of the final minute of each period of play.
The announcement of the additional time does not indicate the exact amount of time left in the match. The time may be increased if the referee considers it appropriate but never reduced.
The referee must not compensate for a timekeeping error during the first half by increasing or reducing the length of the second half.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It is the ref's decision. From the laws of the game:

Allowance for time lost
Many stoppages in play are entirely natural (e.g. throw-ins, goal kicks). An allowance is to be made only when these delays are excessive.
The fourth official indicates the minimum additional time decided by the referee at the end of the final minute of each period of play.
The announcement of the additional time does not indicate the exact amount of time left in the match. The time may be increased if the referee considers it appropriate but never reduced.
The referee must not compensate for a timekeeping error during the first half by increasing or reducing the length of the second half.

I'll ask my mate (who has been 4th official at the Amex before)... you could be right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here