Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rod Liddle and 'Righton'

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Rod Liddle, Labour party member and erstwhile Millwall fan, writing about Brighton in the Sunday Times today:

"Righton "(he chooses to drop the B to make his point) has "a high proportion of lesbian, gay, transgender and something they call intersex people; they are - I believe - vibrant communities of hermaphrodites and a small contingent of elves".

"almost everyone in the borough is sexually weird"

"I would marginally prefer to live in Pyongyang"

Anyone like to buy his ticket to Noth Korea?!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Who does he support now?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The PR department at Millwall must be having a coronary after the last couple of weeks.

No we are a nice club really!!

Not to mention the labour party

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Rod Liddle, Labour party member and erstwhile Millwall fan, writing about Brighton in the Sunday Times today:

"Righton "(he chooses to drop the B to make his point) has "a high proportion of lesbian, gay, transgender and something they call intersex people; they are - I believe - vibrant communities of hermaphrodites and a small contingent of elves".

"almost everyone in the borough is sexually weird"

"I would marginally prefer to live in Pyongyang"

Anyone like to buy his ticket to Noth Korea?!

Says the man who looks like a middle aged Lesbian

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366540259.295826.jpg

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
From wikie:

His comments regularly cause controversy in the media, and his acrimonious divorce in 2004 from Rachel Royce received much attention. He was accused of racism for making remarks about the African-Caribbean community and for the content of his posts to an online forum. A November 2011 article by Liddle in The Spectator about the trial of two individuals involved in the murder of Stephen Lawrence led to a decision to prosecute the magazine for breaching reporting restrictions. A court hearing was held in June 2012, where the Spectator pleaded guilty to contempt of court and accepted a fine of £5000 plus costs.[2][3]

Not only Homophobic, but Racist too. I'm personally gutted that we'll never have this biggoted google in our midst.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Who does he support now?

I wondered that too. He's always giving it large about Millwall in his columns, going on about what an authentic club they are and how all the luvvies hate them. When did he give up on their authenticity?

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
'Wat' guess which letter I choose not to use when describing Rod Liddle!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Are you sure he's a Labour party member? I thought he would be more at home marching with his friends along the seafront today.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The article in full (apparently Brighton is a "ghastly seaside pit"):

There’s a language everyone has to use these days and it is very difficult to get the hang of. For example, members of Brighton and Hove city council are debating about creating “safe rooms” in their ghastly south coast seaside pit to let heroin addicts use their drugs cleanly and comfortably.

Righton — that initial B has become superfluous — has one of the country’s highest proportions of drug users, with almost one in four admitting having used illegal substances and a large tranche using the hardest drugs they can find. This is unsurprising. If I lived in Righton, without doubt I’d be injecting skag by the end of the first week and then I’d move on to the antifreeze and glue.

Anyway, they have a plan for these safe smack rooms where addicts can shoot up in a warm, consensual manner — subsidised by those few Righton residents who eschew illegal narcotics. But some local drug campaigners have suggested that this might “reinforce a negative lifestyle choice” among users. This is what I mean about language. These people are not low-life criminals — they’ve simply made a negative lifestyle choice.

If Aleister Crowley had lived in Righton and summoned His Infernal Majesty Satan via a pentacle in his bijou beachfront apartment, some local would have pointed out to him that calling up the devil was a “negative lifestyle choice”.

This is Righton’s latest contribution to the national debate; collude with hard drug addicts and make it easier for them to kill themselves. The benefits-funded bed and breakfasts should do a roaring trade as addled addicts from all our provincial cities descend on the place, delighted that they might shorten their lives in a clean, non-prejudicial environment.

Most of the evidence suggests that these sponsored safe rooms do not work — but never mind that: Righton will stride forward into its own never-never land regardless of evidence.

For example, we’ve had the terms Mr and Mrs for centuries, but last year Righton proposed doing away with them after deciding they were “meaningless”. Some bloke from the council pointed out that almost everyone in the borough was sexually weird and didn’t like being demarcated in such a fascistically limiting manner, so it was time to get rid of Mr and Mrs. And even Ms, for that matter.

Righton does indeed have a high proportion of lesbian, gay, transgender and something called “intersex” people; there are — I believe — vibrant communities of hermaphrodites and a small contingent of elves. So it is only right that these old and discredited terms be overthrown in the name of modernity and progressivism: there are only two people left in Brighton who wish to be called Mr and Mrs — and they keep their heads down.

The city also splashed out on installing charging points for electric cars all over the place. A recent study suggested that electric cars were not half as green as their manufacturers claimed and, in any case, nobody was actually bothering to use the charging points. But this still didn’t deter Righton from attempting to become a real-life Balamory.

The skag room idea, by the way, is partly the brainchild of a chap called Mike Trace. You may remember Mike: he was Tony Blair’s deputy drugs tsar and later had to resign from a UN post because of his liberal approach to drugs. He’s ended up where you might expect: Righton. It’s a close call, but I would marginally prefer to live in Pyongyang.

genre b. good

Oct 22, 2012
According to Wiki, he has supported Millwall since the age of 7, but moved to Middlesbrough at the age of 8 and didn't return to London until 20+ years after. So, that would be one whole year of "supporting" them.

Surely most Wall think he is a bellend too?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here