Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could there ever be a play-off to get into the play-off?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
If two teams are tied in sixth position with identical records, having drawn both matches against each other, would there be a play-off match, or matches, between each other to get into the real play-offs?

thisistips

Oct 17, 2010
Away away away
In a previous thread someone mentioned a proposal by palace to extend the playoffs from four to six clubs. Which nearly happened. It's described here from Wikipedia...

Proposed Changes
A change to the format of the play-offs was proposed by Crystal Palace chief executive Phil Alexander in 2003. Alexander recommended expanding the number of teams in each play-off series from four to six, providing more clubs with a chance at promotion. Additionally, the two-legged semi-finals would have been replaced by one-off quarter-final and semi-final games, both of which would give home advantage to the team that finished higher during the league season. The two highest placed clubs in the play-off series would advance directly to the semi-final, while the other four clubs would contest the quarter-final.[4] The proposed changes were narrowly approved by Football League chairmen and were set to be voted upon at the league's annual general meeting.[5] The motion was withdrawn however, due to objections received from the Premier League and the Football Association.[6]

... Then there would have been a playoff to get to the playoffs. Bet palace are wishing this had come in now!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
What exact form do these "lots" take? Is it a coin, straws?

imagine watching this live on SkySports, with post-lots analysis.

Paper, stone, scissors. Best of five.

I would choose:

CMS (with his seagull celebration, has proved quite dexterous with hands)
Ulloa
Barnes
Kuszczak
Calderon (with sports psychological powers)

Jimmy Grimble

Wasn't there a match on the final day of the season in League One a few years ago where 6th played 7th? That was almost a quarter final. Not sure if they had identical records in the league but I think it was very close.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
League placings are determined by:

Points.
Goal difference.
Goals scored.
Points gained in matches between teams.
Goal difference in matches between teams.
Playoff match(es) at a neutral venue.

No drawing or tossing occurs.

Wasn't there a match on the final day of the season in League One a few years ago where 6th played 7th? That was almost a quarter final. Not sure if they had identical records in the league but I think it was very close.
Today is the final full day of the Blue Square Conference season. This is the current table:-

Code:
Pos		Played	GD	Pts

1	Mansfield	45	39	92
2	K'minster	45	38	90
3	Newport 	45	28	85
4	Wrexham..       45	30	80
5	Grimsby T	45	29	80

Only one team is promoted automatically. This will be Mansfield or Kidderminster. Teams in positions 2-5 get into the playoffs. The team in 6th position is well out of the equation (Hereford, on 67 points).

But ... the final games are:-
Mansfield v Wrexham(Mansfield need a win to be assured of promotion)
Kidderminster v Stockport (Kidderminster need a win to achieve automatic promotion, but only if Wrexham beat Mansfield; Stockport are currently in 21st position, needing a win to escape relegation)
Grimsby v Newport (both teams are assured of a play-off place, Newport will finish 3rd, whatever the result and, in the play-offs, will play the team that finishes 4th - who could be Wrexham or Grimsby)

Newport and Wrexham are obviously rivals and each team wants to get into League 2 as the standard bearers for Wales.
Newport and Wrexham supporters are divided on the question of whether they want to meet their Welsh rivals in the semi-finals or in the final (same as the debate that we might have about when the Albion want to meet Palace next).
If Newport lose today at Grimsby, they will play Grimsby in the semi-finals, provided Grimsby beat Newport by more goals than Wrexham beat Mansfield (but, don't forget, a Wrexham win against Mansfield could mean Kidderminster, not Mansfield, are automatically promoted).

The BIG QUESTION is this:-
If you were Justin Edinburgh, Manager of Newport County, would you put out a team that would be certain to lose by several goals to Grimsby, to ensure that the play-off semi-final would be against Grimsby, to give Newport the chance to beat Wrexham in the final? Or would you try to beat Grimsby today, and get Wrexham in the semi-final?

Whatever the outcome, it will be an afternoon of complicated calculations while these three games are in progress. As an erstwhile Newport County supporter, I'm just glad that I'll be at the Amex, watching the Albion v Blackpool. As a side matter, I also happen to possess an Albion/Wrexham half & half scarf.

Last edited:

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I'm glad these things aren't decided by some form of game of chance, although some forms of games of chance are more interesting than others - i quite like bingo, although i haven't played it since 1979, but i find 'Deal or no deal' quite tedious, although it's probable that active participation makes these things more attractive. Plus i'm not that much of a fan of Noel Edmonds. I will follow events in the Blue Square today though.

Cypriot-Seagull

Jul 15, 2011
Somewhere in Cyprus
I like the system over here in Cyprus where they play out a mini league (4 teams) to get promotion.
So the 4 teams play each other home and away 6 games in total. The season does finish earlier to allow for this and IMO is more exciting than a knockout style playoff.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here