Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Google rankings package advice?

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
I've been offered a deal for a new website and guaranteed place on 1st page of google for a specific search term of my choice (eg Accountants Eastbourne).

Cost is £400 upfront and £15 a month ongoing. If I'm not on page 1 during a particular month then no £15 charge.

Does this seem like a good deal or a bit of a con?

Any advice, gratefully received

Thanks.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
The thing is if your not on page one then he has only lost fifteen quid whereas you have shelled out four hundred. When I started my business I had a website made for me, £500 but it was money well spent as I could not be bothered to learn how to do it myself. I was looking around for SEO people and quicken leant that some are deluded and expect mega money and some are just plain rubbish and use all sorts of dodgy techniques which will eventually backfire and end up screwing up your ranking. I decided to do it myself and I am page one google for a generic term, such as account south london(not that but you know what I mean) all I do is add articles to do with the business I'm in and keep the content fresh, it has worked for me so far but maybe I have just been lucky. Best thing you can do is have a read up on it yourself and see if ts something you ills do yourself. Also fifteen pounds seems cheap but they probably do not care if they make that or not as they have already had your our hundred quid.
Good luck

Sorry about some of the spelling, I'm on the bloody iphone

I get inundated with companies saying they can get us to no 1 on Google. NOBODY can guarantee that and I wouldn't shell out anything like that amount of money. You're better off spending the money on AdWords, you might not be no 1 in the search list but at least your ad will appear at or close to the top.

More important is the content of the ad. Nobody actually wants an accountant. They want to save tax.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Too good to be true. It'll cost far more than £15 of their time per month to get a good SERP, regardless of the keyword.

Care to share the name of the company?

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
isn't it impossible to guarantee a google ranking unless you pay thousands to be in the yellow shaded box at the top?

we have to continually write content, add video's and write blogs and twitter links etc to stay fresh and near the top

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
Apparently it works by them building a website with the domain name of the keyword search. So the website domain would be accountantseastbourme.co.uk
or similar.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Apparently it works by them building a website with the domain name of the keyword search. So the website domain would be accountantseastbourme.co.uk
or similar.

With my amateur knowledge of SEO that sounds like total BS. It's about site content etc I'm not even sure the domain would affect it at all

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
With my amateur knowledge of SEO that sounds like total BS. It's about site content etc I'm not even sure the domain would affect it at all

It is a ranking factor, but so are 100+ other elements. Plus, it hinges on them securing the domain you are targeting the keyword for. Also implying that the keyword they are optimising for actually receives traffic.
I've seen SEO companies get good results with keywords before, but they've never got many searches so a) aren't too hard to get a good ranking for and b) wont bring any value to you.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
It is a ranking factor, but so are 100+ other elements. Plus, it hinges on them securing the domain you are targeting the keyword for. Also implying that the keyword they are optimising for actually receives traffic.
I've seen SEO companies get good results with keywords before, but they've never got many searches so a) aren't too hard to get a good ranking for and b) wont bring any value to you.

Are they not basically setting up domains though and redirecting it to your main site? Out of everything I believe that content and keeping it fresh is what's I'm important? But as I say I'm a amateur
BUT I bet I'm still better at it than some self proclaimed SEO gurus

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Are they not basically setting up domains though and redirecting it to your main site? Out of everything I believe that content and keeping it fresh is what's I'm important? But as I say I'm a amateur
BUT I bet I'm still better at it than some self proclaimed SEO gurus

They may be doing that, but my point still stands - the domain still has to be available and the keyword still has to generate traffic. How they set it up (assuming they do the usual SEO bits to the domain (301 redirect, canonicalisation etc)) is irrelevent.

No-one needs to be an SEO 'guru' to make it work, just know the basics and have patience. You're right though; good, relevent content is a big contributor to it. The other bits you'd need someone decent with SEO (i'm alright, but its not my favourite bit of digital marketing, i'm a web designer and social media trainer) and for £15 a month he wouldn't get it.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
They may be doing that, but my point still stands - the domain still has to be available and the keyword still has to generate traffic. How they set it up (assuming they do the usual SEO bits to the domain (301 redirect, canonicalisation etc)) is irrelevent.

No-one needs to be an SEO 'guru' to make it work, just know the basics and have patience. You're right though; good, relevent content is a big contributor to it. The other bits you'd need someone decent with SEO (i'm alright, but its not my favourite bit of digital marketing, i'm a web designer and social media trainer) and for £15 a month he wouldn't get it.

Oh well it looks like the bloke has decided against it anyway, seems like that is for the best as the old saying goes, if it sounds to good to be true then it probably is

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012
Unique content is the key! No one can guarantee page 1 or we would all be at it!

Avoid Black Hat techniques and stick to White Hat! Basically, don't flood it with crappy back links that are all automated! Build them slowly and naturally! Also avoid spun content that reads wrong as big G will hit you!

Aim to rank for long tail keywords, for example 'tax accountants Eastbourne' will be much easier to rank than just 'accountants'!

Google has had a habit recently of hitting sites hard for trying to con the system, so my advice would be to keep updating your site and the patient!!

Good luck!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I don't see the problem. £400 to set up a commercial website doesn't sound that expensive if they're putting 30+ hours into it to create a quality site with a content management system, and £15 a month for maintenance and upgrades (plus the offer of forgoing £15 if you are not on page 1 is a good deal).

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012
So let me get this right?! They will guarantee you page 1 in google for any highly competitive keyword?

Where does there own website rank for say 'SEO' or 'guaranteed page 1 google ranking'!

If they are not towards to top of page 1 then ask yourself why!!

But like others have said £400 is not a great deal and no cost if they don't achieve it! Worth a try.

Word of warning - if they use a lot of crappy links to get you up there, you won't stay for long!!

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
So let me get this right?! They will guarantee you page 1 in google for any highly competitive keyword?

That's the bit - they've probably not said anything about it being 'highly competitive'. At my old agency we spoke with a company who had used an SEO firm to get them top for a couple of keywords, but it turned out that no-one was searching for it so it meant diddly squat. I reckon it could be the same here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here