Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New York

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
Completely off topic question for everyone. My boyfriend and I are thinking about visiting New York next year, has anyone got any advice for decent places to stay without spending a fortune? We would probably be talking about next May to enable us to save our money up and then I will be able to go out of British school holidays hopefully making flying cheaper.
Thanks

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
have a search, there have been several recent threads on the same subject,...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
There are a lot of threads about this on here.

Hotels for cheap are difficult, even crappy hotels are quite expensive. However depending on when you go might be able to get some reasonable deals. I recently stayed at the Conrad Hilton, it is downtown, but a lovely hotel, and paid $199 a night as it was over Easter. My advice would be make the absolute most of it, and have a bit of a 'splurge' if you can. Also try not to do to much of the obvious tourist bits.

My #1 advice, DO NOT go to the Statue of Liberty, instead get the free Staten Island ferry, you get great views, but also don't get stranded on a boring island with a statue for a few hours! Oh and go up Top Of The Rock, rather than the Empire State Building.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Poofter eh?

Where abouts where you think of staying?

The other threads on here may help, i know [MENTION=4675]Frutos[/MENTION] has been several times and will probably be able to help.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Completely off topic question for everyone. My boyfriend and I are thinking about visiting New York next year, has anyone got any advice for decent places to stay without spending a fortune? We would probably be talking about next May to enable us to save our money up and then I will be able to go out of British school holidays hopefully making flying cheaper.
Thanks

I stayed at and would recommend the Marriott Residence Inn on 5th Avenue. Very central for Times Square etc and reasonably priced (£115 per night for B & B). Booked through American Airlines website and you don't need to fly with them to use it.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
My #1 advice, DO NOT go to the Statue of Liberty, instead get the free Staten Island ferry, you get great views, but also don't get stranded on a boring island with a statue for a few hours! Oh and go up Top Of The Rock, rather than the Empire State Building.

100% this.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Thanks

Why New York, want to tick the box? If not I'd take Boston (current events aside) any day, nicer, easier, cheaper and New England on the doorstep

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I've just had a peek into the dark recesses of the mods' area of NSC and found that he hasn't visited NSC since May 2009.

That's sad. He was a prolific poster on here in his day. It makes you wonder what happens to these guys when they disappear. That's the internet for you though l guess.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
As i've mentioned before, i blocked a toilet in Manhattan within moments of checking in to the hotel. 10 flushes later the heffalog remained immovable, and out of the bathroom i came, ashamedly. Down the stairs we soon went, the girlfriend and i, and out of pure cowardice and embarrassment, i had the girlfriend approach the desk and report that when going to our room we found the sizzling monster there waiting for us. I hid behind a pillar and edged my way to the hotel exit whilst she had her say in part-english part-spanish.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
New Yorker Hotel, 481 8th Avenue @ 34th Street.

Just around the corner from Penn Station, within walking distance of Macy's and with a subway stop just across the road if required. It's been my New York hotel 3 times now and never let me down in the slightest.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
NYC is craft beer heaven.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here