Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Inter railing

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Keep searching, there was a thread on this about a month ago with lots of good advice on there.

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
Did it a few years ago now during the summer holidays we did not have long so we flew to Nice then did Nice - Monaco - Venice - Florence - Pisa - Rome - Naples - Brindisi - then ferry to Corfu (used to be included not sure it still does) - ferry to Zante - Ferry then train to Athens and then flew home from there.

It is well worth doing just check the trains you are on we got stung for an excess charge for taking an express train and the ferry tickets were deck class which actually is outside on the top deck, which sounds fun but will be the coldest worst night of your life! All the train routes are loaded on Rail Europe so you can plan everything before you go if you want or just take it all as you go.

Bit too old to do it now but I know there are a lot more countries you can visit so enjoy, its a good cheapish way of seeing Europe!

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
Would recommend Budapest if you can get there, cracking city. Not sure it fits in with your current route though so probably not possible

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
When Junior did this they went mostly around Eastern Europe and said it was brilliant bar one country which I cannot remember where but they left early as they found it threatening.

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
:thumbsup:

It's one of the places we wanted to go but there was just too much to pack in, in the space of 25 days. Might end up doing it all again with some different places next year:thumbsup:

Brussels and Amsterdam are so easy to get to from here that it may be worth prioritising Budapest or other more further flung destinations now and dropping Brussels & the Dam off the end of your trip, and saving . Having said that easyjet to Budapest is not exactly difficult either and the beer in Brussels is amazing (be sure to go to both Moeder Lambic bars the Beer Circus and the Ultime Atome) so I was probably talking utter bollox and you should decide for yourself.

As for France if you like mountains or history and not just cities I would make a stop between Paris and Barcelona such as Le Puy-en-Velay to see the Auvergne or Carcassonne for the castle the Pyrenees or a bit of beach time along the Languedoc coast and sack off Marseilles.

If you are spending time in Nice be prepared for the prices. A large beer in a popular bar was 7 Euros three years ago when I was there.

When I did it a long time ago I did the with boat option and went Paris, Limoges (knew people nearby to stay with), Andorra, Barcelona, Viareggio / Pisa, Rome, Brindisi, boat to Patras (was stupid not to get off at Corfu or Cefalonia) Athens, Istanbul then coach trip into Cappadocia and return by retracing steps to Brindisi and working up Adriatic coast before train overnight to Paris. Boats were sleeping on the deck but was warm enough with the rollmat and bag I had with me.

north stand seagull

Oct 26, 2011
Portsmouth/Brighton
Brussels and Amsterdam are so easy to get to from here that it may be worth prioritising Budapest or other more further flung destinations now and dropping Brussels & the Dam off the end of your trip, and saving . Having said that easyjet to Budapest is not exactly difficult either and the beer in Brussels is amazing (be sure to go to both Moeder Lambic bars the Beer Circus and the Ultime Atome) so I was probably talking utter bollox and you should decide for yourself.

As for France if you like mountains or history and not just cities I would make a stop between Paris and Barcelona such as Le Puy-en-Velay to see the Auvergne or Carcassonne for the castle the Pyrenees or a bit of beach time along the Languedoc coast and sack off Marseilles.

If you are spending time in Nice be prepared for the prices. A large beer in a popular bar was 7 Euros three years ago when I was there.

When I did it a long time ago I did the with boat option and went Paris, Limoges (knew people nearby to stay with), Andorra, Barcelona, Viareggio / Pisa, Rome, Brindisi, boat to Patras (was stupid not to get off at Corfu or Cefalonia) Athens, Istanbul then coach trip into Cappadocia and return by retracing steps to Brindisi and working up Adriatic coast before train overnight to Paris. Boats were sleeping on the deck but was warm enough with the rollmat and bag I had with me.

Cheers for the info, will bear that in mind about Brussels and Nice. How long did you go for out of interest, you seemed to pack quite a bit in ???

Also what did you do regarding paying train reservations? Did you do them in advance or just play it by ear?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Cheers guys, spoken to mates and thinking of a route along the lines of...

Paris -> Barcelona -> Marseille -> Nice -> Venice -> Prague -> Berlin -> Somewhere in Western Germany -> Amsterdam -> Brussels

Anywhere in between that you'd recommend, things to do in the cities etc?
Sounds love a tour of some of the most expensive cities in Europe, no?

Racek

Wing man to TFSO top boy.
Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
Cheers guys, spoken to mates and thinking of a route along the lines of...

Paris -> Barcelona -> Marseille -> Nice -> Venice -> Prague -> Berlin -> Somewhere in Western Germany -> Amsterdam -> Brussels

Anywhere in between that you'd recommend, things to do in the cities etc?

Inter-rail is supposed to be a cheap way of seeing Europe. You will spend a fortune in these places. I went to central Europe when I did it. Places like, Budapest, Slovenia, Slovakia and there are some amazing places to see here.

I would also recommend to not do all the City in a row or you will be sick of them. Try and mix it up and head to into the countryside every now and again.

nordicgod

Top banana
Jul 21, 2011
polegate
i did this way back in 1990 with 2 mates had a cracking time went brightn-dover-calais-paris-amsterdam-berlin-munich-athens-(ferry)rome-pisa-florence-venice-monaco-nice-cannes-barcelona-alicante-benidorm-madrid-paris-home. all in 4 weeks and managed to have 5 days in benidorm.slept alot of time on overnight trains and just stayed mainly in hostels, this was before the internet so just had a simple european timetable to plan route. you will meet loads of other backpackers and have great time. i remember going munich to athens took something like 36 hours and we had an old toothless albanian man in the cabin with us stopping at belgrade to que up by track to fill water bottles up with all these yugoslavian army men standing around with guns.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Paris - Good but easy to visit

Marseille -> Nice - meh!

Amsterdam - Great but easy to visit
Brussels - meh! AND easy to visit

Rest looks good and would reccomend Croatia, maybe Italy, and lots of Eastern Europe when you include Prague and Berlin.

Just my 2cents worth

Brighton til I Die

May 22, 2010
Cheap flight out to Amsterdam, then to Berlin, then down to Prauge, Vienna, Libiyana, Bratislava, Zagreb, split, Budapest, then to opener festival in Gdansk. If you avoid places on the euro then you will get slot more fir your money. Also the train journey between Vienna and Villerach (which you change at to get to Slovenia) is incredible scenery wise so do that during the day. Hot peppers in Prauge is well worth a visit also. Enjoy

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here