Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So this 20mph speed limit around town how is it affecting you ?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I live up the top end of Hartington Road and when you drive up Elm Grove or any other hill in Brighton surely you must use more petrol in a lower gear which would increase the carbon footprint ? I am no expert so someone correct me. I agree with the 20mph speed limit around schools. Are speeding fines being issued ? has anyone been fined ?

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
It works good around here at the bottom of Ditchling Road, doesn't seem to affect my traveling times and hopefully it will save accidents/lives. Oddly enough, by the time you get up to the schools by me (Downs) the 30 mph speed limit kicks in again!

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
Council have said it is not going to be enforced and keeping to the limit is down to the goodwill of the motorist.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Brighton 20mph speed limit - e-petitions a petittion to have them removed.

This pees me off big time, don't get me wrong yes put them around hospitals/schools but nearly every other street is over the top, and why have the Greens not made hospitals/schools a priority.

And as for lewes rd its the biggest cock up going its the second biggest rd leading into Brighton so they decide to make it from double lane to single and now 20mph zone slowing the traffic down even more and to think they were worried about exhaust emissions lol, so to combat this you bring the traffic down to snails pace really? lol

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I've found it pretty hard to stick to 20 mph. Not that I've tried too hard.
It's actually doubly annoying -- there's the difficulty of keeping at 20, which is compounded by the irritation of impatient t**ts stuck behind you flashing their lights etc.
Can't see it working unless it's enforced tbh. If people see that no-one else is doing it, and are hassled by people stuck behind them, then even those who'd otherwise be inclined to do it will tend not to.
Not sure about the evidence on fuel consumption, but I'd assume you're right.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
And as for lewes rd its the biggest cock up going its the second biggest rd leading into brighton so they decide to make it from double lane to single and now 20moh zone slowing the traffic down even more and to think they were worried about exhaust emissions lol, so to combat this you bring the traffic down to snails pace really? lol x

It's ridiculous - traffic moved slowly at peak times with two lanes available, let alone one. It wasn't helped this morning either as there was a shunt at the Coombe Road junction where someone had obviously gone through the temporary lights when they had gone red and been hit by someone from the side

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Council have said it is not going to be enforced and keeping to the limit is down to the goodwill of the motorist.

That may all be very well and true, however what about this scenario - Someone gets knocked down in a 20mph zone not near a school and the motorist was found to be doing 30mph and the person who got knocked down even though it was their fault for stepping out in front of the vehicle decided to sue the driver or council - something like that anyway - how would that play out ?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Its painful. Did not realise it hadn't been enforced though. When I saw the flashing reminder signs in Blatchington Road I thought it must be law.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I work away a lot and loads of places have 20mph in built up areas, when I am in France and Germany most towns and villages have speed limits this low. I would say the majority of people have no trouble with it and adhere to the limits.

The chance of someone being killed in an accident at 30mph is huge (More than half of road deaths and serious injuries occur on roads with 30 mph limits), having to deal with a lot of nasty life changing accidents for both drivers and pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists its a good thing if we can stop a few people having miserable experiences, and make people drive more carefully, I see it as a good thing.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
It seems everyone is ignoring it including the police, I had a marked police car behind me coming into the city from Ditchling road and I initially slowed down a bit but the police car overtook me and then i tucked in behind and along with everyone else was travelling at the normal speed of around 30 right into town. A completely pointless exercise in my opinion.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
It's ridiculous - traffic moved slowly at peak times with two lanes available, let alone one. It wasn't helped this morning either as there was a shunt at the Coombe Road junction where someone had obviously gone through the temporary lights when they had gone red and been hit by someone from the side

Accident probably caused though some one continuing checking there speedometer was reading 20 mph instead of the road ahead.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I like it!

Although I tend to only go through Brighton on my bike, and cars doing 20 to 25 mph means I get a superb tow in their slipstream!

Keep up the good work people, it's doing my average speeds the world of good! :thumbsup:

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
That may all be very well and true, however what about this scenario - Someone gets knocked down in a 20mph zone not near a school and the motorist was found to be doing 30mph and the person who got knocked down even though it was their fault for stepping out in front of the vehicle decided to sue the driver or council - something like that anyway - how would that play out ?

How will they prove you were doing 20 or 30mph in that scenario? The police reserve the use of their crash investigation unit to the most serious and usually fatal crashes so such facilities will not be used where a pedestrian gets hit, survives and takes out a private civil prosecution to sue for damages, its just not going to happen.

Dec 29, 2011
Doesn't bother me at all to be honest... I like cruising :cool:

I also now know how it feels to be that annoying ******* who stubbornly sticks to 70 on the motorway, it's amusing looking in my rear view and seeing the person behind me getting angry or begin to tailgate me when I insist on doing 20 :lolol:

haha I do this but only if they tailgate. If they stay back I usually speed off, if they get on my tail I'll insist on going at 18-20mph. That'll show em.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here