Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Feels Like Blackpool '78

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Blackpool, end of season crunch match, top division beckoning, school friend and I missed the first goal, looking for concrete blocks behind the east terrace, to stand on, we were small! 33,000 packed in to the Goldstone ... Saw the winner though. Could it be 2-1 on Sat? Will we have to wait another year coz Saints draw with Spurs? I mean Forest draw with Leicester?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Aah,remember it well. I rarely got taken to Saturday games back then, but that day I remember approaching the ground from Hove Station, and as we walked past the south end of Golstone Lane I looked across to see the North Stand packed and in full voice about 40 minutes before kick off! I remember the smoke bombs from the North Stand, the elation of the Chinese whispers going around the ground via trannies (oooer), and the despair when the correct result came through from The Dell.

The difference right now is that our destiny is in our own hands, as far as reaching the play offs is concerned. Fingers crossed!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I was 9 years old and also on the East Terrace.

Can't remember much about the day. I know that we originally tried to get in the North at about 1.30pm but the queue for U16s was so long we didn't get in before they shut the gates. Unfortunately our Mum, obviously in the "Adult" queue, did - for her one and only game (until Blackpool at The Amex last year)..!!! So she was in a heaving North Stand on her own for 3 and a half hours while we had to run round to the East and get in there... I'm fairly sure she enjoyed that afternoon a lot less than most others in the NS.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Was that the match when there was a couple rolling around kissing so vigorously that it was frankly foreplay on the steps up to the terrace in the Northwest? They got arrested and were fined for indecent behaviour or something like that.

It was definitely that season but not 100% sure it was the Blackpool game ...

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
North was so packed, couldn't get in. Went in the East instead, mayhem as the goals went in, desperate when we heard the Stains result. Even more so when I saw the highlights & realized they fixed it.

HenryC

Mar 27, 2010
South West!
Wardy's goal after halftime is still giving me goosebumps all these years later. I was In the NS which was in full voice that day. I can't remember euphoria on such a large scale before or since. Amazing day followed by ultimate disappointment.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Was Peter Suddaby playing for us or them?

Them. If I'm not mistaken, the front cover of the programme for the following season featured a pic of Wardy beating him for skill.

I was also at the game - was it one of the ones where they locked the gates at 1.30pm?!

I remember watching the Saints v Spurs highlights on the telly, and seeing the two managers, Burkinshaw and McMenemy, walk out together before the game, holding their hands aloft and waving to the crowd. So obvious it was a fix - they were celebrating before kick-off FFS! Neither team tried to win. I seem to remember there was only one clear-cut chance in the whole game - a Stains player was suddenly clean through and pathetically shot well wide.

Aah,remember it well. I rarely got taken to Saturday games back then, but that day I remember approaching the ground from Hove Station, and as we walked past the south end of Golstone Lane I looked across to see the North Stand packed and in full voice about 40 minutes before kick off! I remember the smoke bombs from thenorth stand, the elation of the Chinese whispers going around the ground via trannies (oooer), and the despair when the correct result came through from The Dell.

The difference right now is that our destiny is in our own hands, as far as reaching the play offs is concerned. Fingers crossed!
???

SOUTH I THINKS:blush:

Attachments

• scan0005 (2).jpg
    scan0005 (2).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 122

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
Some of us South stand boys had graduated to the south west terrace in front of the bar,we had surprised Spurs fans in there earlier that season and it seemed the place to be.My memory is the false reports of the score from the Dell and Mullery telling us what he though of the fix at full time.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I did wonder why the for the Blackpool game (77/78) I can remember watching from the South Terrace, whereas the Blackburn game (78/79) I watched from the North... it was a different season! I clearly made the transition from South to North during the promotion season 78/79 :)

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Them. If I'm not mistaken, the front cover of the programme for the following season featured a pic of Wardy beating him for skill.

I was also at the game - was it one of the ones where they locked the gates at 1.30pm?!

I remember watching the Saints v Spurs highlights on the telly, and seeing the two managers, Burkinshaw and McMenemy, walk out together before the game, holding their hands aloft and waving to the crowd. So obvious it was a fix - they were celebrating before kick-off FFS! Neither team tried to win. I seem to remember there was only one clear-cut chance in the whole game - a Stains player was suddenly clean through and pathetically shot well wide.

I think the player that missed there chance was Funnell,a lad from Eastbourne!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I seem to remember that the smoke bombs were against PNE, I was stood just in front off the ginger headed bloke who threw them. Was this the game we won 5-2 and one their CB scored 2 own goals?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here