Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Match days when you were young

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
What little things do you miss or have fond memories of on Albion match days when you were a nipper?
For me, pre match meal of nan's homemade macaroni cheese, chips and beans.
Walking with my grandad to the Goldstone and our little chats about Albion past and present.
After a victory, running along old shoreham road by Hove cemetery and flicking the v's at the away supporters coach.
And lastly The Goldstone ground.
As much as I love the Amex and wouldn't trade it for any other, the Goldstone was were I started my love affair for the Albion.

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
I definitely miss the walking to the game from hove station, and walking in the road with thousands of people after a game

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Pulling a few bits of Jack and Danny -oh sorry must read thread titles

cunningplan

Apr 1, 2011
Sussex Coast
What little things do you miss or have fond memories of on Albion match days when you were a nipper?
Walking with my grandad to the Goldstone and our little chats about Albion past and present.
After a victory, running along old shoreham road by Hove cemetery and flicking the v's at the away supporters coach.
As much as I love the Amex and wouldn't trade it for any other, the Goldstone was were I started my love affair for the Albion.[/QUOTE

I remember watching Charlie Livesey warming up with shots at Brian Powney under the Goldstne floodlights in a mid week evening match. It was pure artistry and I felt complete happiness.......

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
As much as I love the Amex and wouldn't trade it for any other, the Goldstone was were I started my love affair for the Albion.

I used to carry a milk crate (green no one else had a green one you may remember me), a packed lunch, a flask of BOV and my little brother. Dad would dump us in the family cage and pee off to be with his mates. He did that so he could have a fag without us knowing but being 6 5" we could see him a mile off. Never told mum though. Different times and wonderful memories. Looking back there was a working class rawness that is lost today. But would I swap it for today probably not but if I could go back for just one game............used to get home in time for jim'll fix it.

spoonie

Apr 19, 2011
standing in the north stand at the Goldstone and with about 15 mins to go the away supporters coaches would go along the road at the back of the West Stand and we'd always try and guess how many coaches they'd be

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
My memories:

Walking to the Goldstone past the cemetery.
The smell of wintergreen mixed with tobacco smoke.
Floodlight pylons and the excitement when they came into view.
The awful toilets.
Bottles of light ale when alcohol could be purchased.
The scores (boards) placed up against the wall.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Old newspaper chap shouting ARGUS or the SHOOT while walking around the outside of the pitch
Teenage lad pushing silver trolley round outside of pitch selling BAZOOKA JOES
old bloke with the seagull lottery numbers board walking round the outside of the pitch
Half time scores on the hoardings around the side of the pitch, you used to get A to J in the programme next to the teams playing then the scores were put up against that letter on the hoardings
The smell of old tobacco inside of the ground
Walking up sackville road with my dad with my mullerys marvels silk scarfs tied to wrists while he was carring my wooden stool
Queuing up for ages outside the chicken run waiting to get in and the sound of the clinking turnstiles as they kept turning

That's just a few memories I could go on for ages but I don't wanna bore you all

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Old newspaper chap shouting ARGUS or the SHOOT while walking around the outside of the pitch
old bloke with the seagull lottery numbers board walking round the outside of the pitch
Half time scores on the hoardings around the side of the pitch, you used to get A to J in the programme next to the teams playing then the scores were put up against that letter on the hoardings
Walking up sackville road with my dad with my mullerys marvels silk scarfs tied to wrists while he was carring my wooden stool
Queuing up for ages outside the chicken run waiting to get in and the sound of the clinking turnstiles as they kept turning

That's just a few memories I could go on for ages but I don't wanna bore you all

Aaaahhhh yes, the old Argus guy (Fred?)
EEEEEEEARGUSSSSSSSS

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
the old man was a publican
so i had access to a wide range of beer crates to stand on.

i have fond memories of the poor kid near to me and the jealous look on his face because he had to stand on the same green crappy milk crate every match.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Watching the team getting our first promotion ....1958...and having seen every promotion since....cloth caps,cigarette smoke,flooded toilets..the joyful faces when we had win...the silence when we lost...the push in the Northstand when we scored,the excitement when we signed Bobby Smith,Alex Dawson,Charlie Livesay...the whole match day experience was great...would I want to go back to those times...not really ..the Goldstone was a run down wreck...the Amex is where it is at now.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011

Yeah tied to the wrist.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Parking between the Engineerium and the Dog Track; queuing to get in, praying the gate wouldn't close in '78, a cup of bovril at half time for 50p, standing on a wooden box my Dad made, being knocked off the wooden box when we scored, my Mum brought a picnic in a yellow bag, man on the gate said: "it only last 90 mins you know love"

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
Being left in the car outside the pub just off the A23 (Black Horse ?) whilst Dad and his mate went for a couple of pints. Didn't mind as he used to bring me out bottles of coke and crisps and I usually had a quids worth of Panini stickers to sort through.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Swimming at Surrenden Pool, footy stickers at Gordon Road, sardines on toast, into the ol man's Hilman Hunter park by Hove Rec and into the Chicken Run

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here