Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1983 FA Cup semi final

Seagulls Downunder

Mar 3, 2008
Sydney
Your probably all aware that it was 30 years ago this week we played at Highbury against Sheffield Wed and we've been talking about it on both our Facebook pages but am I the only one who can remember a member of The Metropolitan Police Band
grabing a mic and walking out to the 18 yard box to sing Sussex by the sea, it would appear that way on the FB pages. I hope someone else remembers it or I'll think I'm going mad in my old age and just dreamt it.

I'd love to read your memories of that glorious day, the cup final as a kid was one of those great days in English sport ( not so much now) and there we were heading to Wembley and I don't think it really sunk in until I walked up Wembley way.

Here's one of our FB pages you can all add if you like https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brighton-Hove-Albion-Australian-Supporters-Club/182347468450496?ref=hl

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Remember bits of it really well, but other parts have faded. Was only 16 though I suppose.

Case's goal is THE memory of the day though, awesome.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I was also 16 but remember it well. That singing and the playing of our song made it feel like we had an advantage to me.

Absolutely loved that day. That occasion and in fact all the cup run totally ruined my o level results.

Beezer

Feb 27, 2013
Funny enough I was also 16.i remember it being sunny and warm , and the goals really well.but I also remember at the end a few sheff we'd supporters throwing coins at the brighton supporters.always hated them ever since.

Winchester1

Aug 27, 2012
Downtown Winchester
:albion2:Were any of you drinking before the semi-final game at a pub in Buckingham Palace Rd ( can't remember its name? ) just up from the Victoria bus station? There was a huge mob outside singing their merry hearts out - blue and white flags everywhere - anywhere there was a constant flow of National Express coaches from all round the UK streaming past the pub and you could see the bemused expressions on all their punters faces thinking WTF is this lot doing here?! It really was a sight to behold......... That aside the Jimmy Case goal is my not 4 in the all time Albion top ten moments - that's after surviving at Hereford, winning promotion to Div 1 against the Geordies at St James' and reaching the cup final in '83. Great, great memories...... I flipping love the Albion.:albion2:

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
I was 10, I listened to the game on the radio, and afterwards I ran out into the back garden and recreated the goals with a tennis ball in the glorious sunny evening. Happy days

Wasn't it great playing football with a tennis ball
At school in the late 70s early 80s we weren't allowed Footballs so we played with Tennis balls I remember having some Brilliant games and it made you more skilful

Seagulls Downunder

Mar 3, 2008
Sydney
:albion2:Were any of you drinking before the semi-final game at a pub in Buckingham Palace Rd ( can't remember its name? ) just up from the Victoria bus station? There was a huge mob outside singing their merry hearts out - blue and white flags everywhere - anywhere there was a constant flow of National Express coaches from all round the UK streaming past the pub and you could see the bemused expressions on all their punters faces thinking WTF is this lot doing here?! It really was a sight to behold......... That aside the Jimmy Case goal is my not 4 in the all time Albion top ten moments - that's after surviving at Hereford, winning promotion to Div 1 against the Geordies at St James' and reaching the cup final in '83. Great, great memories...... I flipping love the Albion.:albion2:

Probably the Bag O Nails, I was in there the morning of the final which was re-run of your description.

scooter1

How soon is now?
I was 10, and only went to the game because my dad broke his ankle the week before and couldn't go himself. We(my uncle) borrowed a wreck of a car and drove up, parking somewhere(anywhere) near the ground. We were either parked on a corner, hooked up on a pavement, or maybe even a combo of both... We were right behind the goal when Case hit that free kick. I don't remember huge amounts, but it was bloody hot

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Wasn't it great playing football with a tennis ball
At school in the late 70s early 80s we weren't allowed Footballs so we played with Tennis balls I remember having some Brilliant games and it made you more skilful

Yep, us too. Tennis ball football was a regular occurrence in our playground. You didn't go to Hove park by chance :)

nipponseagull

Apr 17, 2011
I was 15 and it was the best football day of my life - what a feeling running down the street after the game trying to find my bus flicking the 2 fingers!! at the wednesday fans. Fantastic Jimmy Case goal, 2 amazing saves by Moseley, that wrestling tag team attack on our goalie that led to their goal, and Michael Robinson's slow motion swivel to score down at the clock end- Fabulous memories [don't remember the singing policeman though!] oh and the noise and the colour - hopefully May 27 2013 might just surpass it [although I'm 45 now not 15!! so....]

nipponseagull

Apr 17, 2011
I was 15 and it was the best football day of my life - what a feeling running down the street after the game trying to find my bus flicking the 2 fingers!! at the wednesday fans. Fantastic Jimmy Case goal, 2 amazing saves by Moseley, that wrestling tag team attack on our goalie that led to their goal, and Michael Robinson's slow motion swivel to score down at the clock end- Fabulous memories [don't remember the singing policeman though!] oh and the noise and the colour - hopefully May 27 2013 might just surpass it [although I'm 45 now not 15!! so....]

Oopps. We were standing at the Clock End - so MR's goal was down the other end - the end with the roof!! Gomen nasai!! {sorry!]

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
I took my brother with us who wasn't really a football supporter. I remember the crush in the crowd and him suddenly disappearing 20 foot in the opposite direction. He wasnt very happy! It has always made me think about what happened at Hillsborough 6 years later. It was a wonderful sunny day and the best Albion support I can ever remember. Somehow I was never nervous. It felt like the whole Albion crowd knew we would win.

Don't remember the singing policeman though!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here