Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does anyone agree with the Syrian leader about al qaeda.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
He basically has said that by supporting the rebels and places like Libya etc, he compares it to the support of the US of the Taliban in Afghanistan at the time of the Russian invasion which has come back to haunt us. He also then says they will bring war on to the streets of Europe!

Al nasra front saying they are allied to al qaeda and after being armed by us, are they going to use that against us eventually?

What do you think?

We have no idea who these rebels are

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
No.

The FSA are fighting for democracy, they've openly supported democracy and pluralism in society, which had been oppressed by Al-Assad. Al-Assad's regime is closer to the Taliban, whom want a strict Islamic republic with sharia law, that does not incorporate pluralism and democracy.

He's trying to play to people's heart and use what the Taliban have done, and could do, to then infer that'll happen in Europe. There's no evidence of Al-Qaeda being widely involved in Syria.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
The main group, the Free Syrian Army, are Islamist extremists - and our country has been supporting this group with weapons & resources which they are using to terrorise civilians in the same way Al Qaeda does. Whether they actually are Al Qaeda is questionable, but God help Syria if they get into power.

Same story in Egypt & Libya though - our countries supported the Islamist rebels rather than what they regarded as tyrannous dictators, and the result is the demise of secularism. Egypt & Libya have been set back 20 years and Syria inevitably will too.

Haha, of course the Syrian rebels are extremists. Who the **** wants freedom and democracy in this day and age, no wonder you love North Korea much. The funny thing is, is that as soon as there's one Islamist group, they're all branded Islamic extremists.

Let's ignore the Syrian (and Libyan) shelling of civilian urban areas with civilians in them.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Yes I agree with him but he brought it on himself when he started bombing his own civilians and (allegedly) using chemical warfare in Aleppo.

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
god help us all if the Syrian regime does fall - as bad as it is, and it is pretty horrific, the alternative is probably even far worse as first thing it will do is target Israel and then things will kick off in ways that will affect us all....I'm pretty sure this is why the Western powers, whilst denouncing what is going on, are keeping out of it as they saw what happened in Iraq and don't want another one!

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Unbelievable.

Firstly Syria is currently a secular state, this is essentially what the FSA are fighting against. They are the ones who you will find massacring innocent families in the name of Islam singing "Allahu Akbar". They base their operations in hospitals, schools and other civilian residences which is what leads to the shelling of civilian areas.

Despicable group that has no interest in democracy like you for some reason assume, and to think that our country has spent millions supporting them.

You're like a broken record. The only trouble is the record is Agadoo by Black Lace.

Have you actually read what you've written there or are you under the influence of some weird jedi mind-trick?

Either that or you're Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf...

To refresh everyone's memory he was the one who stood up in front of a group of journalists on the top floor of a Palestinian Hotel in Baghdad and said

"There is no presence of American infidels in the city of Baghdad, and there is no presence of the American columns in the city of Baghdad at all. We besieged them and we killed most of them. Today, the tide has turned, we are destroying them."

genius!

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Unbelievable.

Firstly Syria is currently a secular state, this is essentially what the FSA are fighting against. They are the ones who you will find massacring innocent families in the name of Islam singing "Allahu Akbar". They base their operations in hospitals, schools and other civilian residences which is what leads to the shelling of civilian areas.

Despicable group that has no interest in democracy like you for some reason assume, and to think that our country has spent millions supporting them.

Is the correct answer.

Literally a couple of months before the trouble started I took my mum on an easy jet plane to Damascus for a few days as we had always fancied going there.
I was unsure at first but there were no travel restrictions and the only reason that Syria is treated as a rouge state is thier refusal to acknowledge Israel as a state! (A small matter about Israel nicking part of the Golan Heights).

What surprised me was the fact that Christians, Arabs and Jews, yes Jews!! All mixed together and everywhere we went (totally unrestricted) seemed happy and free...even managed to have beer and wine in a bar!!

I feel very sorry for the country and would wonder what will happen to the bigger cities because not only were they secular but wealthy and very western.

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
Is the correct answer.

Literally a couple of months before the trouble started I took my mum on an easy jet plane to Damascus for a few days as we had always fancied going there.
I was unsure at first but there were no travel restrictions and the only reason that Syria is treated as a rouge state is thier refusal to acknowledge Israel as a state! (A small matter about Israel nicking part of the Golan Heights).

What surprised me was the fact that Christians, Arabs and Jews, yes Jews!! All mixed together and everywhere we went (totally unrestricted) seemed happy and free...even managed to have beer and wine in a bar!!

I feel very sorry for the country and would wonder what will happen to the bigger cities because not only were they secular but wealthy and very western.

I have a friend who is a Syrian Christian and that's pretty much how he used to describe Syrian society. Now he fears for the safety of his family in Syria if the Sunni's/FSA get control.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
The main group, the Free Syrian Army, are Islamist extremists - and our country has been supporting this group with weapons & resources which they are using to terrorise civilians in the same way Al Qaeda does. Whether they actually are Al Qaeda is questionable, but God help Syria if they get into power.

Same story in Egypt & Libya though - our countries supported the Islamist rebels rather than what they regarded as tyrannous dictators, and the result is the demise of secularism. Egypt & Libya have been set back 50 years and Syria inevitably will too.

This is spot on. The new so called "democratic" regimes are worse, in most cases, than what they have replaced. This includes Iraq.

We should keep our noses out of other countries' internal affairs. If the population wants to overthrow their leaders then that is their business and they should not expect support from the west.

Many countries are just not ready for western style democracy any more than we would have been in the 12th century. Leave them alone to sort out their own problems.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
the rebels are funded by the CIA - the goal is to remove the gov so they can get their western central banks and puppets in ......don't people know this is the norm yet?

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
the rebels are funded by the CIA - the goal is to remove the gov so they can get their western central banks and puppets in ......don't people know this is the norm yet?

And the Syrian government are funded by the Chinese and the Kremlin...don't you realise that?

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
If it's about oil, there's a problem. Syria is tied with petro-giant Australia at #31 for oil production.

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
Is it all about (a) oil, (b) Israel, (c) expanding overseas markets for multi-national companies, or (d) democracy?
Certain it's not d).

There was a documentary about Syria on Channel 4 last night. Heartbreaking seeing what they're doing to each other. Very powerful but uncomfortable viewing.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
No.

The FSA are fighting for democracy, they've openly supported democracy and pluralism in society, which had been oppressed by Al-Assad. Al-Assad's regime is closer to the Taliban, whom want a strict Islamic republic with sharia law, that does not incorporate pluralism and democracy.

He's trying to play to people's heart and use what the Taliban have done, and could do, to then infer that'll happen in Europe. There's no evidence of Al-Qaeda being widely involved in Syria.

Have you been to Syria?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here