Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any Albion Fans who work in Canary Wharf / London?

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Based in Bristol need a bit of an insight into how people work and live around there.

I have been given a life changing opportunity to stage a series of sporting events at Canary Wharf between July 8th and 19th, where you get the chance to compete against other corporates alongside GB Medallists and Athletes in a series of after work sporting competitions Beach Volleyball, Rowing, Sailing, Windsurfing, Kayaking and Beach Handball.

Bit of a teaser trailer here
http://vimeo.com/64221716

The event is designed to raise money for various charities including the primary event one; Action for Kids, it also is a way for corporates and individuals to support athletes on their way to Rio 2016 (you'll care about them then!)

So, how do we get the vibe around that part of the world? Have you got any contacts :)

I look forward to any suggestions...and of course NSC style abuse...PM me if you want any further details!

BTW: If anybody involved in the REMF would like to talk about a similar event in Brighton to engage the local business community I am all ears...

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Smiley miley does as well as a few more on here. Bushy too I think

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
Maybe have a word with the Waitrose based in Canary Wharf. They get involves with community events quite a bit and might help you with promoting it and/or put it in their newspaper or magazine

I organise an event through Westminster Council and have found that costs that used to be waived for community events, they are now expecting fundraisers to pay for. So check there's nothing hidden in the way of licences or fees.

Breesy1

Mar 14, 2013
London/Hove
I live in Canary Wharf and work closeby, happy to be of assistance depending on what you're asking (currently unsure). Moved out of Brighton for work

Feel free to PM/post more details

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Pm me i can give you aspects of both living and working there having lived and currently working there

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Canary Wharf workforce is different from 99% of others in the UK. All office staff are brighter, better paid and more driven. There is an unbelievable lack of fat people, virtually 0 out of 4,000 in my old block with many offices having in-house gyms. The gym staff are well up for these type of events. The work hard (inc many tough commuting hours)/play hard ethic puts thousands of the mainly 25-40 age range of mostly unmarrieds into wine bars after work but home in bed by 10 for the next day

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Canary Wharf workforce is different from 99% of others in the UK. All office staff are brighter, better paid and more driven. There is an unbelievable lack of fat people, virtually 0 out of 4,000 in my old block with many offices having in-house gyms. The gym staff are well up for these type of events. The work hard (inc many tough commuting hours)/play hard ethic puts thousands of the mainly 25-40 age range of mostly unmarrieds into wine bars after work but home in bed by 10 for the next day

So do you reckon an after work sports tournament will appeal? Sort of 5.30pm-8.30pm?

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Thanks guys, I will send PMs to those who were happy to help, and thanks for the tip about the council costs, thankfully, the Canary Wharf Group seem to be waiving that, but always good to check if anyone else has their claws into the water especially...makes me look knowledgeable at the meeting.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere

They clearly have egomania as well.

Breesy1

Mar 14, 2013
London/Hove
An afterwork sports tournament could work (competitive environment ) but those hours wouldn't. 7pm finishes are regular (I'm en route home now and was in the office for 0730, which is reasonably standard for someone of my age and seniority - 24, Trainee Solicitor). If you went for those hours then it would definitely have to be at the start of the week. Everyone piles in the pubs on Thurs/Fri.

A lot of commuters from Essex and I would say its still pretty lively post-10pm on a Thurs/Fri.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Lived in Canada Water for two years - one tube stop from Canary Wharf.

You can live in Rotherhithe Street and take the boat to work or live by the tube station and get the tube.

Canary Wharf is over-priced but a decent friday atmosphere after work.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade

Jeez that's scary, sounds like a description of an Arian race...this sort of corporate brainwashing is nothing to be proud of IMHO.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
This. Have the net pay, but are knackered, never save enough for the mythological retirement at 35 planned when starting there at age 22 as they've blown it all, and suffer insecurity as their employers make frequent and sudden waves of redundancies.

:smile:

Christ. No wonder they're all skinny and hyperactive. They must have nails bitten to the elbows and an addiction to sniff and sleeping pills.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
THE BEACH IS LANDING THIS WEEKEND...COME DOWN AND HAVE A LOOK AT WOOD WHARF ON Monday!

Kickstarting a series of sports events throughout the month, in around The Docklands, which still need some more publicity amongst sports lovers, (the Gatekeepers have been very efficient)

http://www.partyforthepodium.com/page8.htm

Many thanks
Billy

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London

I work there and this is not true IMO

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here