Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hypothetical question re Albion in the Premier League

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Putting aside the financial issues, do you think that you'd enjoy watching us in the Premier League more than the Championship next year?

If we don't go up, there is a pretty good chance that we'd be one of the challenging teams next season, which would mean we would probably be the better team in most games and would win far more matches than we'd lose.

It's unlikely we'd be anymore than a struggling team trying to establish themselves in the top division and would get well beaten on quite a few occasions and seldom be the best team in a match.

I ask this question having seen us in the top flight the last time we were there and overall I didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as the getting there and the three or four preceding seasons. Obviously there were a few highs like beating United and Forest and turning Palace over most times we played the team of the eighties.

I know that most on here have probably never seen the Albion in the top division and the getting there would be an amazing experience as would the first few games and being on MOTD every week. We'd also be on Sky quite often, getting spanked by teams like United, Arsenal, Chelsea, City etc.

Maybe you think we'd actually do quite well?

I'm in two minds but am only swayed by the financial implications rather than the excitement of seeing Albion in the top division. From a football experience point of view I think I'd rather see a winning Albion team in the Championship than a struggling team in the Premier.

So in short, of course I want to get there but I'm not sure it would be as much fun watching the Albion if we did.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Getting dicked 0-4 at home to arsenal the first game at home certainly brought us all down to earth with a crash.

I am not really fussed, it would e nice to get there, but paying 50 squids an away game ticket is not that appealing

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Not overly fussed because we would likely get a fair few hammerings. I remember last time and it was fairly depressing with some massive highlights.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I'm in the camp that is not too bothered by the premier league. However I believe the club is geared up that way and it will be a major surprise if we don't enter the 'promised land' in the next season or two. However I reserve the right to make a right fool of myself if/when we reach it as 15 years ago I didn't think we would even be in existence now and it would mark the most remarkable transformation, I think, at any league club.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Don't be so defeatist!

As long as major investment was put into the team I'm sure we could put a foothold into the Premier League. Of course, if Gus thinks we could do it with Barnes, CMS, Dicker, El-Abd, etc etc then it isn't going to be pretty viewing. :eek:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
On the plus side it could be that if Gus is still here he would get the opportunity to get in the bigger more skilful players that he really needs for us to play the way we do. Probably a team full of Latinos who may well be the suprise package. We would get to see just how good he really is and there is no doubt that his basic football philosophy makes for a mostly very exciting team. Also going up against managers like Fergie in the mind games would make good sound bites too.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It's rather worrying if fans haven't got the stomach for some 'backs against the wall' campaigns in the top flight, bit like Mike Bailey trying to solidify the side in 1981/82 but fans yearning for the free-scoring days of the Third Division.

I personally would enjoy it as much. Us rubbing shoulders with the best teams in the country on a regular basis and getting some famous victories. Losing 1-3 to Arsenal at home is preferable to losing 0-2 to Walsall at Withdean.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Don't be so defeatist!

As long as major investment was put into the team I'm sure we could put a foothold into the Premier League. Of course, if Gus thinks we could do it with Barnes, CMS, Dicker, El-Abd, etc etc then it isn't going to be pretty viewing. :eek:

I can already hear in my mind Gus moaning about the budget :lolol:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It's rather worrying if fans haven't got the stomach for some 'backs against the wall' campaigns in the top flight, bit like Mike Bailey trying to solidify the side in 1981/82 but fans yearning for the free-scoring days of the Third Division. .

and there's the rub, watching a free scoring team is much more enjoyable than a backs to the wall campaign imo. I well remember Mike Bailey's very efficient team, i also remember the big drop off in crowds that it brought and the poor atmosphere at games.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
So the people who don't want us to be in the Premiership would want us to lose if we got the play-off final?

I want BHA to be the best they can possibly be and that means playing in the Premiership. I would love us to get to Europe some day and Swansea have shown what can be done. Plus we'd get a lot more press coverage which can only be a good thing for us supporters.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
As long as major investment was put into the team ...

That's the point though, I can't see that happening. We'd obviously spend a bit, but sensibly, and I can see us getting stuffed every week, which is not nice to see. Other than the kudos of getting there and being there, I think most people would rather see us winning most weeks at the top of the championship than losing every week. That's my memory from last time, anyway.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
So the people who don't want us to be in the Premiership would want us to lose if we got the play-off final? .

Of course not, the question was more about whether you'd enjoy being an also ran Premier team or a top Championship one. I guess the question can't be answered until you can actually compare season on season having been though it:shrug:

I can't imagine any fan would not want us to win the playoffs if the opportunity arose.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Not fussed, the last 2 seasons have been way better than I expected and I wouldn't say no to more of the same. I also enjoy turning up at games with a mixture of excitement and trepidation that i believe only the championship gives. I suspect everyone on the score predictor thread would be far more accurate and boring if we were in the Premier.

*edit* I may not give this impression at the play-off games

Last edited:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Not really, we'll never see anything like as competitive and unpredictable as these past 2 seasons I doubt. Then if we think we get it bad now with not enough Saturday 3.00 KO's it will get much worse and of course less games and more money. I'd happily settle for Championship football for years

But for the good of the club and its financial well being it's something we absolutely need, and the sooner the better so I am willing us on

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It's sport so you aim to climb as high as you can. If you just want to watch the Albion dominate and win every game then let's tie the players down to concrete contracts that won't let then leave and then have two years of relegation so we compete in League 2 every year. Just to prevent promotion perhaps we should go into liquidation a couple of times a season so the 20 deduction will stop us getting promoted but won't stop us winning every home game!!!!

I saw the 79/83 years and I want it back. I've seen top flight football and the next goal is to see us get into Europe rather like Fulham, Bolton, Middlesbrough etc. Having said that, I fully expect us to get relegated if we go up but with that comes the parachute payments, however unfair they may seem, and that forms part of the building blocks to get promoted again and reduce the financial gap between us and some of those teams established in the Prem.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
That's the point though, I can't see that happening. We'd obviously spend a bit, but sensibly, and I can see us getting stuffed every week, which is not nice to see. Other than the kudos of getting there and being there, I think most people would rather see us winning most weeks at the top of the championship than losing every week. That's my memory from last time, anyway.

Of course people like to see their team winning more than losing with that I agree. But as a fan I would like to see us trying to emulate Swansea and at least giving it a go in the Premiership. I would hate for us to see our pinnacle as just being a good Championship team. Our infrastructure is better than a some Premiership clubs, we just need to get the squad up to the next level!

mcgoldrick

Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Eastbourne
I think most of you would enjoy it more than you think. Again it is about expectations. At the moment the idea of being the poorer side in many matches and losing more than you win feels an awful long way from what you have been enjoying of late. Give it a few games and the realisation that you're up against the like of Van Persie and Aguero not Arron Wilbraham and Danny Shittu and you will feel different and most likely a closely fought loss will feel somewhat better than a draw or even perhaps a win in this league.
Totally ignoring the financials it is the experience if nothing else that you will enjoy - I pretty much guarantee it.

It depends where we want to be in ten years time. From my vague memory, West Brom were an established Championship club that had one great year under Megson in which they got promoted - they then spend sensibly, got relegated but were able to come straight back up. They yoyo-ed for a while but now have a solid financial base and could remain a Premier League club for a while to come. If we want to be established in the Premier League then we'll likely have to accept that, in that first season, we'll take a few batterings and quite possibly not survive; but by being sensible with funds we can then come down and be one of the 'big boys' of the Championship.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here