Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Statistically our best defenders

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
Stats - Put much faith in them ?.

They suggest that Upson & Greer are our best CB partnership. They have only started 6 games together but in those 6 games we have only conceeded 3 times. If you tie that in with our number 1 keeper playing in goal at the same time. That would give you 4 games with only 1 goal conceeded.

Also Bruno is statistically better than Calderon, although based on recent performances that seems hard to believe.

Thought I would share. :albion2:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Statistically Marcos Painter is our best defender, we've not let in a goal when he has been on the pitch this season. He may have only played in 3 games and been on the pitch for around 240 mins, but the stats don't lie. In two of the games he's played in we conceded after he went off therefore adding more weight to the theory. Forget Wayne Bridge, Marcos Painter is where it's at. :jester:

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
Statistically Marcos Painter is our best defender, we've not let in a goal when he has been on the pitch this season. He may have only played in 3 games and been on the pitch for around 240 mins, but the stats don't lie. In two of the games he's played in we conceded after he went off therefore adding more weight to the theory. Forget Wayne Bridge, Marcos Painter is where it's at. :jester:

Believe it or not, I was aware of this but decided not to post it. Got to have 10 games to be realistic, which is equally why some of the gumff about Greer and Upson could be a bit premature.

Good effort though.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Greer certainly seems to play well next to Upson,El-Abd will have to wait for another chance.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm a big El Abd fan but Greer really seems to have upped his game since getting the shirt back and Upson is quality.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Greer and Upson are taller and better passers. El-Abd is funny though, so its a difficult decision.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
El Abd is great, but with his tactics he's always a liability.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Shows how a team can benefit from decent competition for places.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Greer has been awful since he came back, too many mistakes. Saying that he played solidly at Peterborough, so hopefully he has upped his game for the remaining fixtures.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Greer has been awful since he came back, too many mistakes. Saying that he played solidly at Peterborough, so hopefully he has upped his game for the remaining fixtures.

He was MoM in our last home game - been really really good recently.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Can't say I'm too surprised. Greer's been solid recently and Upson is a quality defender who knows his job and does it well.

I do like El-Abd but he always seems to be on the brink of giving away a foul/getting booked.

D

Deleted member 18477

all 3 of our main CB's are quality!!

what a lovely problem to have. rather that than none in reserve. currently greer and upson is working...

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
Individually there is nothing in the stats between el abd and Greer in terms of goals conceded average etc. but from that perceptive ups on leads the way. As a partnership Upson and Greer have been the meanest thus far. Stats are based upon starts and do not account for sub appearances

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton

:fishing: ???

And yet he never does.

Well, he has once, but we'll let him off for that considering it was him who was actually fouled. :rant:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Apart from the ones away at both Barnsley and Blackburn, you mean?

Nah, I don't count those. As mentioned above, he was the one being fouled for one of those 2, ridiculous decision.

So considering he's someone who "always looks like he's about to give away a penalty", he very, VERY rarely does.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here