Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mark Knofler.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Yes

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
He's a great guitarist but he's been quiet for years and to give him one would rather be token-istic and more a testament to his age rather than output. Why now when he's all but part-time?

If we are talking about enduring influence then we should have given one to Bert Jansch. That man was responsible for inspiring so many legendary guitarists.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
Not really, even if it was spelt right. I think Eric Clapton would be more deserving, for both longevity of musical output and services to charity.

Self centred git Eric Clapp?
nicked his pal's missus (Patti Boyd Harrison) and made an album to help do it, even sung about his son dying
Left The Yardbirds for making non blues records but then did pop singles with Cream and solo.
His book is a list of wives he messed about and people he cared less for. :nono:

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
I saw Knobfleur on tour with Emmylou Harris, and was cringing a bit for his indulgence into past hits. I really wanted to hear more from Emmylou.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
nicked his pal's missus (Patti Boyd Harrison) and made an album to help do it, even sung about his son dying
Left The Yardbirds for making non blues records but then did pop singles with Cream and solo.
His book is a list of wives he messed about and people he cared less for. :nono:

He can play though. Not bothered what sort of prick he is otherwise.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
He can play though. Not bothered what sort of prick he is otherwise.

Quite right. Better to never know about musicians or read autobiographies from them for fear of spoiling the entertainment.
Clapton (name probably changed from Clapp because of then-slang name for vd) has done a lot of great things and given his time to causes
More than I have for sure - I shouldn't judge, or read his life.
His guitarwork on the Bluesbreakers lp was stupendous!
Key to Love is breathtaking, & I'm Your Witchdoctor a joy to beheard.
Easily the most wonderful 'break' of the British r n b era on The Yardbirds' I Ain't Got You.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

I must admit, having been a great Cream fan when I was at school in the '60's, and having comparatively recently read Eric Clapton's biography/autobiography, I came out of it bitterly disappointed thinking he was a total prat and having lost a lot of respect for him.

Having read Jack Bruce's book recently as well, that recounts a life of drug abuse and so on, but I came out of it thinking the music was always the most important thing and had much more respect for him than I had ever had before. I did always think he was the most talented of the three members of Cream.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
would love to know the thinking behind the OP's statement ? Agree Clapton may have earned one, but would say John Mayall deserves one more for the musicians he introduced to us from the Bluesbreakers and the promotion of British blues to the States.
Having said all that, I'm not a great supporter of knighthoods ........bit like confetti at a wedding.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
John Barry, won 5 oscars and wrote some fantastic music for film and TV over a long period didn't get a knighthood but an O.B.E. Someone who gets a medal in one olympic games usually gets a gong of one kind or another, so whether a deserving someone gets one seems completely arbitrary.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
M K ......A brilliant guitarist , and the magnificent Dire Straits were a cut above the rest but.....His solo work has been a big bore.
:yawn:

I saw him playing as support to Bob Dylan a couple of years back. I could not understand how such excellent musicians could make it sound so , well, dull ...Could not wait for B D to come on !

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Mark Knopfler: The man that gave Newcastle the music for when their players emerge

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here