Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any Structual Engineers on here!

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
I put down a brick this morning that would have held up a Cathedral. Does that help.

One Legged Striker

Nov 29, 2009
I got an architect to draw up some plans for a loft conversion, which included a front dormer, it has been refused at both planning and appeal, I know wish to go ahead with the build by just removing the front dorma, all of which can be done under permitted development, the same architect wants the best part of £1000 to make this small amendment, and liaise with Structual engineer?
I was hoping that as the plans are very informative, I could just work with Structual engineer, and cut out the architect.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
All you need is a stuctual engineer who can also do all the Building Regs required for your conversion.
PM me if you want me to recommend the one that I use.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I got an architect to draw up some plans for a loft conversion, which included a front dormer, it has been refused at both planning and appeal, I know wish to go ahead with the build by just removing the front dorma, all of which can be done under permitted development, the same architect wants the best part of £1000 to make this small amendment, and liaise with Structual engineer?
I was hoping that as the plans are very informative, I could just work with Structual engineer, and cut out the architect.
Ok, gotcha. Did the original price you agreed (with the architect) not include getting building regs (with the front dormer)?

So you've got some plans (just cross out the dormer) and you just want a structural engineer to specify the size of steels etc?

And he will be able slightly change existing plans?
You don't need anything fancy, you can just copy what you've got. Plenty of builders do the plans for loft extensions etc, and they're dreadful.

Dec 29, 2011

£1,000 for something that sounds like a days work? I've got the wrong job!

One Legged Striker

Nov 29, 2009
Ok, gotcha. Did the original price you agreed (with the architect) not include getting building regs (with the front dormer)?

So you've got some plans (just cross out the dormer) and you just want a structural engineer to specify the size of steels etc?

You don't need anything fancy, you can just copy what you've got. Plenty of builders do the plans for loft extensions etc, and they're dreadful.

That's long and short of it, need the dormer taken of and replaced with a velux, and one wall removed downstairs, I have a3 copies of the plans and also they are online on the planning website. I just need a Structual engineer to change them and sort out the steels for building control.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
And he will be able slightly change existing plans?

Thanks for te help

I would imagine so, he will work out what steel sizes are needed to conform to B. Regs.
I will PM you his details.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
The architect has probably copyrighted the plans and has kept the original CAD files so (he thinks) he's got you over a barrel - you only really need the new drawings for the builders to work to, and if the structural engineer can't get modifiable CAD files from the architect you may end up shelling out just as much to get them re-drawn anyway.

Frankly who needs an architect anyway for a loft conversion, it's probably something you could do on a PC yourself with the right software. Sadly that software will probably be just as expensive as paying the architect! ( AutoCad LT will produce 2D drawings but a licence is £ 1,200 on Amazon ) and you may need someone else to print them off if you want a large print - no builder's going to be very happy working from a fiddly little A3 plot because they won't be able to read the dimensions - unless you want a cowboy job done !

Last edited:

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
The architect has probably copyrighted the plans and has kept the original CAD files so (he thinks) he's got you over a barrel - you only really need the new drawings for the builders to work to, and if the structural engineer can't get modifiable CAD files from the architect you may end up shelling out just as much to get them re-drawn anyway.

Frankly who needs an architect anyway for a loft conversion, it's probably something you could do on a PC yourself with the right software. Sadly that software will probably be just as expensive as paying the architect! ( AutoCad LT will produce 2D drawings but a licence is £ 1,200 on Amazon ) and you may need someone else to print them off if you want a large print - no builder's going to be very happy working from a fiddly little A3 plot because they won't be able to read the dimensions - unless you want a cowboy job done !

1. The architect definitely won't have copyrighted the plans. If you pay him for the planning application you can just get the CAD files off him and proceed under permitted development with a decent builder, who should know how to comply with building regs.

2. Using an architect who has trained 5 years in the art of design will give you a far superior loft conversion than a cheap design and build jobbie off Bob the Builder.

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
Can you still do these sorts of conversions on a 'Building Notice' rather than a 'Full Plans' submission as that would reduce the need for detailed drawings and potentially negate the need for the architect?

You need to be careful about copyright and just using the architect's drawings (assuming he/she is a qualified architect) as they do try to protect it and will chase you for money if they find out. Of course its easy enough to copy the drawing with enough changes to, in the words of Simon Cowell "make it your own!"

Might be worth seeing what the original contract with the architect actually says in terms of copyright and what they were employed to do eg project management etc.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here