Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Unemployment up to 7.9%

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
maybe to deflect from a certain funeral we should be discussing the unemployment situation
the way I see it 2.4million(7.9%) will not go into 0.5 million no matter how much David,George(Gideon or what ever his name is) says it will , but then mind you Mathematics has never been their strong point has it.
it would be very interesting how many of those half million jobs are what I call real jobs, full time not call centres, or short contract.

altered typed it in a hurry

Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
maybe to deflect from a certain funeral we should be discussing the unemployment situation
the way I see it 7.9 million will not go into 0.5 million no matter how much David,George(Gideon or what ever his name is) says it will , but then mind you Mathematics has never been their strong point has it.
it would be very interesting how many of those half million jobs are what I call real jobs, full time not call centres, or short contract.

Did you type that in a hurry?

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
the way I see it 7.9 million will not go into 0.5 million no matter how much David,George(Gideon or what ever his name is) says it will , but then mind you Mathematics has never been their strong point has it.

Unemployment is 2.54 million, not 7.9 million (still a lot mind)

What do you want to talk about?

The quarterly figures are a bit grim, but the year-on-year stats are more encouraging. Working age population was up 0.1%, employment was up 1.7%, unemployment was down 2.7% and inactivity was down 3.1%.

It's not much fun being young in this job market; unemployment was 37.9% amongst 16-17 year olds and 19% amongst 18-24 year olds, although both have declined over the previous twelve months (by 9.7% and 3.1% respectively).

All types of employment are up over the 12 months, and all by more than the rate of increase in population aged 16+. Full time employment was up 1.9%.

There's evidence of something of a rebalancing between the public and private sectors; public sector employment fell by 313,000 over the year (-5.2%) while private sector employment rose by 904,000 (+3.9%). Depressingly, the most severe job cuts in the public sector were in education and health & social work, although public administration and civil service saw employment decrease by 20,000 apiece. There's little evidence of (positive) sectoral rebalancing though; manufacturing employment picked up over the year, although at a slower rate than most parts of private sector services.

I could carry on but I suspect that no-one's really interested...

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

The quarterly figures are a bit grim, but the year-on-year stats are more encouraging. Working age population was up 0.1%, employment was up 1.7%, unemployment was down 2.7% and inactivity was down 3.1%.

It's not much fun being young in this job market; unemployment was 37.9% amongst 16-17 year olds and 19% amongst 18-24 year olds, although both have declined over the previous twelve months (by 9.7% and 3.1% respectively).

All types of employment are up over the 12 months, and all by more than the rate of increase in population aged 16+. Full time employment was up 1.9%.

There's evidence of something of a rebalancing between the public and private sectors; public sector employment fell by 313,000 over the year (-5.2%) while private sector employment rose by 904,000 (+3.9%). Depressingly, the most severe job cuts in the public sector were in education and health & social work, although public administration and civil service saw employment decrease by 20,000 apiece. There's little evidence of (positive) sectoral rebalancing though; manufacturing employment picked up over the year, although at a slower rate than most parts of private sector services.

I am.
If you look beyond the month-to month fluctuations, the employment rate at 71% of the working age population has been at around that level for nearly four years and is still well below its pre-recession level.

More worryingly, unemployment (ILO measure) has been at around 2.5m since Spring 2009 (having shot up from just over 1.5 million before the recession).

The apparently good employment figures are: a) not nearly enough to mop up the larger working age workforce; b) heavily dependent on under-employed part-timers, and insecure self-employed; c) accompanied by stagnant GDP which means that labour productivity has been falling -- not good news for longer-term growth prospects.
Also the apparent rebalancing of from public to private sector employment is partly due to several hundred thousand people in public services (mainly in parts of education and health) having been reclassified as private sector in the official stats.

Overall, the labour market is still in a bit of a mess.

D

Deleted member 22389

Yes but if you took out the people who are arriving from the EU and Non EU countries over the last 12 months, the unemployment figure would be a lot better than it is today.
Not enough jobs to go around. And what about the people who are employed, how many of these are now part time / temp jobs and minimum wage. I should imagine it is a hell of a lot.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

the thing that gets me is the way the government keep harping on about those they have just hit with crippling drops in benefit payments and have said on many occasions that if they do not like the way things are they could find employment my question is where?
as I said before 2.4 does not go into 0.5 and things look like getting considerably worse when the doors open to the Bulgarians and the Romanians as they will take up the lower paid jobs and mop up anything in between.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
the thing that gets me is the way the government keep harping on about those they have just hit with crippling drops in benefit payments and have said on many occasions that if they do not like the way things are they could find employment my question is where?
as I said before 2.4 does not go into 0.5 and things look like getting considerably worse when the doors open to the Bulgarians and the Romanians as they will take up the lower paid jobs and mop up anything in between.

There was a good article doing the rounds a few days ago by James Dyson critising the government's approach to education, and the lack of British engineers.

D

Deleted member 22389

There was a good article doing the rounds a few days ago by James Dyson critising the government's approach to education, and the lack of British engineers.

He is right. We don't have enough manufacturing jobs. We have got to stop relying on places like China for simple little things. There is absolutely no difference between a CNC machine, Moulding machine here and machines in China, so why are we not manufacturing. Why can't these governments start investing in it. If we had proper manufacturing jobs that required proper skills in machining, CNC programming, we could be training our young people up and would not require the services of people from these other countries who in my opinion have driven wages down and do not have the required skills in Engineering, because it is trade at the end of the day.

The wages would go up and we would get a skill set back that has sadly almost dissapeared from this country. Sadly Mechnical Engineering is considered as a dirty job in this country. I don't think this is the case in places like Germany where Engineers are highly respected. Manufacturing also creates thousands more jobs as each company supplies different parts and services, unlike the service industry where only a few at the top make all the money.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

He's right - I bought one of his vacuums, he should definitely get better educated, it was crap.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
He is right. We don't have enough manufacturing jobs. We have got to stop relying on places like China for simple little things. There is absolutely no difference between a CNC machine, Moulding machine here and machines in China, so why are we not manufacturing. Why can't these governments start investing in it. If we had proper manufacturing jobs that required proper skills in machining, CNC programming, we could be training our young people up and would not require the services of people from these other countries who in my opinion have driven wages down and do not have the required skills in Engineering, because it is trade at the end of the day.

The wages would go up and we would get a skill set back that has sadly almost dissapeared from this country. Sadly Mechnical Engineering is considered as a dirty job in this country. I don't think this is the case in places like Germany where Engineers are highly respected. Manufacturing also creates thousands more jobs as each company supplies different parts and services, unlike the service industry where only a few at the top make all the money.

That sir is a top post. I have worked in engineering since 1980, I have been lucky enough to work all over europe and the USA, and as you say engineering is seen as a good job in all those countries, much better paid and respected..and for the life of me I dont know why it is so sneered at over here??

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

But what's the chicken and what's the egg? Is it a shortage of engineers as you suggest or is it a shortage of good engineering jobs? My daughter recently got a very good degree in mechanical engineering from a good university (her choice of career partly influenced by me drawing to her attention the continual bleating of people like Dyson about the lack of engineers in this country).
What struck me, however, was how long it then took her to find a decent job that used her engineering skills (eventually she did) -- she was, however, deluged with offers from banks, big retailers, management consultants and the like who seem to trawl the universities for people like her; other people on her course had a similar experience, and a lot have gone into well paid jobs, the vast majority not in engineering.

By the way, Dyson himself is not an engineer but a graphic designer, if I remember right, who studied at art college...

D

Deleted member 22389

But what's the chicken and what's the egg? Is it a shortage of engineers as you suggest or is it a shortage of good engineering jobs? My daughter recently got a very good degree in mechanical engineering from a good university (her choice of career partly influenced by me drawing to her attention the continual bleating of people like Dyson about the lack of engineers in this country).
What struck me, however, was how long it then took her to find a decent job that used her engineering skills (eventually she did) -- she was, however, deluged with offers from banks, big retailers, management consultants and the like who seem to trawl the universities for people like her; other people on her course had a similar experience, and a lot have gone into well paid jobs, the vast majority not in engineering.

By the way, Dyson himself is not an engineer but a graphic designer, if I remember right, who studied at art college...

Well sir, I salute your daughter if she got a degree in Mechanical Engineering. Thank god she is not another person who has decided to take a degree in Business Management, Finance, Law, New Media. Too many of these people, and not enough of jobs.

I reckon one day it will pay off properly for people like your daughter. Students are missing a trick by not doing Engineering, Electronics.

D

Deleted member 22389

That sir is a top post. I have worked in engineering since 1980, I have been lucky enough to work all over europe and the USA, and as you say engineering is seen as a good job in all those countries, much better paid and respected..and for the life of me I dont know why it is so sneered at over here??

Worked in Engineering myself, but now out of the Trade completely. I was a trainee toolmaker when I left school. First company I worked for all the machinery was in imperial. I learned a variety of skills from the old guys here. They have probably all sadly passed away now. They had been in the trade for years. I learned a lot here, it was really helpful in my next job I took as a CNC operative / setter. Nobody has been able to pass on these skills.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Worked in Engineering myself, but now out of the Trade completely. I was a trainee toolmaker when I left school. First company I worked for all the machinery was in imperial. I learned a variety of skills from the old guys here. They have probably all sadly passed away now. They had been in the trade for years. I learned a lot here, it was really helpful in my next job I took as a CNC operative / setter. Nobody has been able to pass on these skills.

I spent my first years as a contracting electrician working in and around the Brighton area and worked mainly in factories,schools, hospitals and mainly using heavy materials such as conduits,trunking and armoured cables, huge fuse boards and alot of the work was done live.
forming trunking around some of the walls and over beams without using manufactured bends and the such was in itself artwork.
with the introduction of many plastics that all went out of the window but there was still work to be had in the heavy industrial units.
where have they all gone especially in the Brighton area, many disappeared without trace
Alan West
Kearney and Trecker
I worked on most of the factories on the Hollingbury industrial estate, now mostly ASDA,and furniture stores and a police HQ, I worked at Leytool making a machine that made Quavers to go abroad ( mostly Eastern Europe) now they are coming here to work in the shops that sell the bloody things.
I do sometimes think I am well out of the workforce now, finding what I would call a decent job now must be hell.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Did he mention the lack of British people involved in the manufacturing of his products after he moved it all to Malaysia ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here