Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No substitutions last night - a tactical error?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I think Poyet really should have used at least one of them to take off poor Ulloa who looked completely shagged on 70 minutes. It's clear that he still has to adjust to the pace of the English game and I would rather have a fit Ulloa for 70 minutes a game rather than run him into the ground. Look after him please Gus.

Posh were there for the taking and although I was happy with a good solid point we could have mixed things around in the last 15 minutes and gone for the winner. I was told our bench was v young (although not as young as the 12 year old that Posh had warming up on the sidelines) but what's the point in having subs if you don't use them? Our central defenders would have looked after an inexperienced young defender and then maybe pushed Bridge or Calderon up to midfield and pushed Orlandi up too.

Anyone any idea why there were no subs made?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I can only think that not losing was more important than not winning.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Would like to have seen Barker on for Ulloa for last 10 mins. Ulloa was done in and we could have done with the extra pace on the break.

OP is right, need to look after Ulloa a bit on the run in. 3 x 90 mins in 8 days is pushing him a bit IMO.

LeicesterGull

Feb 2, 2009
I honestly don't think a sub would have delivered what we needed. Thought Gus was spot on by remaining unchanged, who would have replaced Ulloa? I don’t think we had a young defender on the bench, and in any case would that really have been a wise move? I’ve seen Barker a couple of times now and whilst he’s a tidy player his introduction would have changed the team dynamic for the worst, and we would have been for the taking.

Just remember, win our home games and draw away and we’re there.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Or alternatively, more game time will get Ulloa fitter....

I suspect the subs were there for one of the following reasons:
1. injury
2. gone behind, need more attackers
3. a few goals ahead, give a youngster some game experience

Ulloa is also useful (moreso than the youngsters) at defending corners, that could be crucial in the dying minutes of the game, esp at 0:0.
There is also the risk of a youngster doing something "stupid" that more experienced heads would not.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If Ulloa had come off and we'd conceded (perhaps due to Ulloa not being there to head away a corner, or Ulloa not being there to hold the ball up so we could get out of defence), then we could criticise the tactical decision. As it was, that was another important point for us, and with players returning (Barnes, Kaz, Buckley, Vicente) on Saturday, we'll be better placed to rest Ulloa.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
If Ulloa had come off and we'd conceded (perhaps due to Ulloa not being there to head away a corner, or Ulloa not being there to hold the ball up so we could get out of defence), then we could criticise the tactical decision. As it was, that was another important point for us, and with players returning (Barnes, Kaz, Buckley, Vicente) on Saturday, we'll be better placed to rest Ulloa.

Spot bollock on.

D

Deleted member 18477

if Ulloa is that tired i hope Gus is giving him the days off in between the games! we need him for 90 mins every game simple as that!

his job is very simple now... score, hold ball up and head away from box when defending a corner! hopefully he's not training IF he's that tired...

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
It sems pretty obvious, even half fit Ulloa hold the ball up better than anyone else in the team. Who would you have brought on?

16 Ankergren
06 El-Abd
22 Painter
18 Dicker
35 Forster-Caskey
37 March
33 Barker

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I think Ulloa spent more time picking himself up from a fervent pressing game from Zakuani than from running, so in opposition to some other games recently, i didn't see him rundown or over-weathered. Hammond was the one who looked like he barely walk at the end after covering the entire pitch and throwing in some expert lunges when called upon. None of the players, though, looked like they wanted to go off and take a break, every one of them unflagging in their commitment. They ought to be fit enough to last 90 minutes, have a couple of days part-rest and then train up for Saturday's clash, aided by a player or two returning from injury to freshen things up.
No mistake made.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Ulloa looked spent, but I suspect Gus wanted him for his ability to win the ball in the air in both boxes.

If we win the next two games, then the match v Wolves will feature a lot of kids!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The obvious answer was that half the bench, not only had to travel back to Brighton during the night, but had a match tonight against Charlton, which they won 3-2.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Considering the options, losing Ulloa would've probably put a lot more pressure onto an already strained back 6.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The obvious answer was that half the bench, not only had to travel back to Brighton during the night, but had a match tonight against Charlton, which they won 3-2.

Don't be daft. You really think he was saving the youngster's legs for the reserve game? Really??

slartibartfast

Sep 11, 2004
Henfield
Interestingly, Gus didn't use any subs in the match at home v Charlton a few weeks ago either, which I thought was unusual at the time. That was a 0-0 too... perhaps he doesn't want to tamper because 1) he thinks this team is going to make the breakthrough, or 2) he doesn't want to risk disturbing the clean sheet .... or both? Or maybe we are analysing too much...

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Ulloa looked spent, but I suspect Gus wanted him for his ability to win the ball in the air in both boxes.

If we win the next two games, then the match v Wolves will feature a lot of kids!

Not so sure about that, it'll depend on results elsewhere and whether we've secured 4th or not, if we still need the extra point v Wolves I can only see kids coming on if we're 3-0 up!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here