Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Road works on the drive back from Peterboro' !!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
First the ramp from the M11 south to the M25 east was closed so continued south thru the Blackwall Tunnel and A2 - that added probably 30mins to my journey.

Then the ramp from the M25 west to the M23 south was closed so had to go north up the M23 to Hooley to do a U-turn. Another 10mins added.

Did anyone else get caught in these or were you smart enough to plan ahead?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
We went up via the M11 but for some reason came back via the A1.

With hindsight, think we would have come back via Heathrow rather than Dartford as there were two lots of speed reductions. Yep, we were also caught coming off the M25 and had to do a U-turn in Hooley.

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
I didn't go, but my mum's partner did. He didn't get home till about 2:15 thanks to the road works.

First the ramp from the M11 south to the M25 east was closed so continued south thru the Blackwall Tunnel and A2 - that added probably 30mins to my journey.

Then the ramp from the M25 west to the M23 south was closed so had to go north up the M23 to Hooley to do a U-turn. Another 10mins added.

Did anyone else get caught in these or were you smart enough to plan ahead?

This exactly - and the hour to get from Jun 7 on M25 to Clacket lane on the way up had me very nervous.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton

With hindsight, think we would have come back via Heathrow rather than Dartford as there were two lots of speed reductions. Yep, we were also caught coming off the M25 and had to do a U-turn in Hooley.

Exactly the same here. 50 mph for what felt like 1000 miles.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003

Your driver probably knew that he couldn't get from the M11 to M25 east, hence the A1. BUT having come down the A1 he should have gone via LHR not Dartford - slightly shorter distance.

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
Very annoying wasn't it. We just went via the blackwell tunnel and got back to Hove just after 1. Did get away from the ground quiet quickly though.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
coach set off from Withdean 2:30pm and arrived back 2:30am!! 12 hour trip WITH NO BEER!!!!!!!!!!

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

Same for me and don't ask me how I got to go on the A1, stopped in the KFC on the roundabout just outside Peterborough and then ended up on the A1, but I did take the Heathrow route.
Roads were empty and despite one little diversion for road works to get onto the M23, a good run home. Back in Patcham at 12.45am

NorthStandN1A

Aug 1, 2011
Hove
m11 to Stansted services for a quick bite, then caught the m25 roadworks - received a text from a mate about m23 so diverted towards East Grinstead to avoid - home in Hove at 12:55 a.m - not bad considering my mate took the wrong turn leaving Stansted services and we were heading back to Peterborough

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Same here, though actually don't think the Blackwall tunnel adds much as it's a shorter route, no? Was pretty bad thay there was no warning of the M23 issue.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Living near battle I went to Forest via M11 and had the same issue on our return journey with M11/25 junction. That time however sign on the A1/14 junction informed of the closure. Last night no such signage only about A14/M1 so went back on M11, not happy.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Living near battle I went to Forest via M11 and had the same issue on our return journey with M11/25 junction. That time however sign on the A1/14 junction informed of the closure. Last night no such signage only about A14/M1 so went back on M11, not happy.

Good point. Signs on the A1 would have been sensible to warn of the ramp closure. I will email the Highways Agency to express my displeasure - Disgusted of Mid Sussex

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Just posted this on a different thread:

The coach we were on smelt like p##s :sick: and due to the roadworks,we didn't get back to Withdean till 2.30 ---12 hours round trip :ohmy:

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton

Exactly the same

Didn't see any signs for the M11 coming out of boro - only a few just saying 'London'. Only when the road narrowed into a roundabout 10mins later did it occur that it was the A1 and not the M11

Also did that U-turn Hooley which was handy as my car was starting to protest as Croydon loomed closer

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here