Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

apple bashing - itunes lost all my tuuuunes

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Just logged on to my windows box to do something with itunes and found that sometime over the last week it has lost all my music (apart from stuff bought from the itunes store).
Googling suggests it might be to do with AVG.
Anyone else suffered this ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
iTunes is, essentially, just a database that holds pointers to where your music is.

As such, your music is almost certainly there, but iTunes doesn't know where 'there' is.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Listen to [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] - your mp3 files will all be somewhere on your computer. All iTunes does is list them and play them.

If you've got it set up so that iTunes sorts out your music library for you (i.e moves the folders around in the background) it still won't delete the files.

What's more likely is that AVG has identified that the folder you store your music in as suspicious and quarantined it so it can't do any damage. There might be a virus contained in it (especially if you've downloaded the music from certain sites)

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I know where my music is (and it's all backed up anyway) but it's a right royal pain in the ar$e trying to rebuild the library and all the playlists. What's worse is that it might happen again.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I know where my music is (and it's all backed up anyway) but it's a right royal pain in the ar$e trying to rebuild the library and all the playlists. What's worse is that it might happen again.

Unless you have manually and permanently deleted your iTunes library (the database) then it almost certainly won't have to be rebuilt.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Has happened to me 3 times over the years- I now do not use itunes (sorry Bozza).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here