Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crofts - lucky to stay on the pitch?

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
For those who were at the game, how bad was the incident involving Crofts? From what I've seen, Peterborough were fuming; everyone seems stunned he wasn't sent off, even Gus.

What happened and would you have been surprised if he'd got his marching orders?

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
Posh player running through towards goal and Crofts seemed to take his legs away in a cynical professional foul, however it was up the other end so cant be sure if he got a toe to the ball.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Too far to see from the away end but seeing it once from a long way off it did look dodgy. But the ref was the worst I have seen - possibly ever. Ulloa was sliced down time and time again and got no protection. How he kept his temper I have no idea.

Leicester Seagull

Oct 24, 2009
I couldn't make out what contact had occurred (if any) from where I was. It looked as though both players lost their balance and fell over!

Having said that, I would not have been too surprised if he'd seen red, simply because the Peterborough player was through on goal and the home fans were going mental.

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
I spoke to a Posh fan on the train and he seemed quite level headed, he said he thought the ref was awful and it was a definite sending off but he said he thought there were dodgy decisions against us and he was equally bad for both teams.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
As everyone else has mentioned, we were too far away but everyone seemed to think he was going to get sent off. He was a crap ref though, for both teams.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Any comment can only come from people sitting around the halfway line or higher. It looked terrifying from the away end although to be honest the reaction of the crowd frightened me more than the collision.

smiler

Jan 12, 2006
Shoreham by Sea
I thought that referee realised that he had made a mistake in not sending Crofts off and spent the rest of the game giving Peterborough everything

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I thought that referee realised that he had made a mistake in not sending Crofts off and spent the rest of the game giving Peterborough everything
That's how the radio commentators saw it. Decision after decision going their way after the Crofts incident.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
As already mentioned, the play was up the other end running away from us but everyone around me feared the worst. We were amazed (and very relieved) when the ref gave nothing.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Why would it be a red? He wasn't last man, CB was covering. Couldn't see if it was a foul though from where we were, but since that moment he was the most biased ref I have seen in years.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Looked like a stonewall foul to me.
What do you mean by "stonewall"?

I've heard this term a lot (more common now) on MOTD and it doesn't make sense, surely they mean stone-cold.

I suppose it's like americanisms creeping in, they are often grammatically incorrect but used so much that they seem "normal".

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
What do you mean by "stonewall"?

I've heard this term a lot (more common now) on MOTD and it doesn't make sense, surely they mean stone-cold.

I suppose it's like americanisms creeping in, they are often grammatically incorrect but used so much that they seem "normal".
According to Urban Dictionary:
In football, where an unambigous foul is committed in the penalty area. The prefix 'Stonewall' is used to highlight the obvious nature of the incident; stonewall being a particular type of wall used throughout Scottish highlands and other mountainous regions as they are really obvious and nobody ever walks into them, ever. Except the occasional rambling referee.
"The referee has walked right into that one! He must have been swayed by the fans here at Old Trafford. The player has been hacked down at the waist by a flying scissor kick just outside the six yard box but the ball has not been touched. That was a stonewall penalty."
This may not be entirely accurate however :)

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
I know that is is used but it's wrong no? Stone-cold is the correct term.

The UrbanDictionary there is wrong in what stonewall means BUT is correct in stating how it is (mis)used. :D

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
I know that is is used but it's wrong no? Stone-cold is the correct term.

The UrbanDictionary there is wrong in what stonewall means BUT is correct in stating how it is (mis)used. :D

No, its stone-wall as in obvious, solid, clear cut. Stone-cold means nothing of the sort

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here