Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Saltdean Lido

• Thread starter Deleted member 22389
  • Start date

D

Deleted member 22389

I have fond memories of this place as a kid. Being taken by my parents in the early 80's, and then going there with my mates in the school holidays, when they had that slide. I also remember the pool always being freezing cold.
So glad this building did not get knocked down for developers to stick a block of flats on it, that would have been criminal.

It looks like there is a plan to build an indoor pool along with keeping the outdoor pool. Excellent if it all comes true. Lets hope they can get the Lido working again and turn over a profit. I will definately get myself down there.
BBC News - Indoor swimming pool bid for Brightons Saltdean Lido

Beezer

Feb 27, 2013
Sorry to be a bit negative, I have seen the plans and idea and it looks good,but this is brighton,we must have the worst public sporting facility's in the country.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I so hope this happens. I'd hope that perhaps the lessons learned in getting the Amex approved may lead the leaders of our planning processes to act differently. Surely these facilities are now seen to add to the welfare of local society rather than detract. Let's hope so.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
The plans look good, although I'd design a lido that could be used during winter with closed glass dome over it that opens up in summer to be a lido and closes to be an indoor pool during winter. Alot of large private pools by the rich and famous already have this. It's not overly expensive. Anyway the new plans are good and the council should give this the green light ASAP. The two beaches immediately in front where the white cliffs cafe is, are superb bathing beaches. The whole Saltdean front will really benefit from a working lido leisure facility. Not to mention saving the great building.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I and my colleagues used to go there one summer in the 1980's until there was a complaint from a local resident something like "my house overlooks the lido and I can see about 12 BT vans parked round it every day from 12 till 2"
oops...

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
There are two groups bidding, these guys that have been campaigning for years; http://static.squarespace.com/static/505b2b19e4b0567d6bae4b42/t/50f3d4bce4b07e77c468d854/1358156988519/Saltdean%20Lido%20CIC%20exhibition%20boards%20Jan2013.pdf
And the new bidders:
Support Our Vision! | Saltdean Community Leisure Centre, Brighton

I know the second site has no plans showing but I like the idea of an indoor pool. I mean heating the water in the outdoor pools is one thing, but on a pisssing down windy day it's not gonna get people in the pool. I like the second vision by the new campaigners. However, they are a very small group and I fear their plans are too ambitious for some.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
At last some sense. Why anyone would pay money to go to a lido when you could swim in the sea for nowt is beyond me. They work in cities but not next to the sea. An indoor pool makes a lot of sense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here