Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I know his petulance has cost him a lot of fans this season but I honestly believe a fit and fresh Barnes could mean we guarantee a playoff place at the business end of the season.

Hopefully he starts on Saturday, however important Ulloa is to our team he'll need a rest with some important games coming up.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Having Barnes back is a MASSIVE boost imo. It gives Gus options that he hasn't had so far at this crucial stage of the season. Bench or on the pitch, I don't mind.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I'd be speechless if Barnes started and Ulloa went to bench

Even if he was to come on in the second half? He is a huge player for us but what use is he to us in the playoffs if he's burnt out, he's also picked up a few yellows now.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'd be speechless if Barnes started and Ulloa went to bench

Nightmare scenario would be if he started and was so motivated that he got reckless and then got sent off. Not beyond the realms of possibilty aaaarrrggggg

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I don't like the fact that Barnes will be straight back in the squad, but given what Leo has had to put in over the last few weeks, he will be on the bench at the very least (and it will be the right decision for BHA)

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I rate Barnes. Now he has had the final wake up call regarding his temper, I hope and expect him to 'grow up'.

He's a proven goal scorer, borne out by the goals he's scored under Gus, and it's great to have another striker back to augment Ulloa.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
the thing with barnes is you take away his aggression you take away his game.........they come together.....

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Nightmare scenario would be if he started and was so motivated that he got reckless and then got sent off. Not beyond the realms of possibilty aaaarrrggggg

Another nightmare scenario would be he gets a brace and all his doubters are proved wrong.

This isn’t aimed at you but everyone was going on about needing another striker and when a proven striker comes off suspension no doubt fit and raring to go people are saying he shouldn’t get a chance.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Even if he was to come on in the second half? He is a huge player for us but what use is he to us in the playoffs if he's burnt out, he's also picked up a few yellows now.

No, being on the bench is way different to starting. Ulloa has kept going and, although we haven't transformed into a WWWW team we've looked far more likely imo. He also gives us more options at set pieces and even our defending of corners has improved.

I've never knocked Barnes (apart from the ref fiasco) but I am on the fence. I think switching Ulloa out and replacing with Barnes would be madness though, yes he's scored a few goals but nothing like the goal scoring threat posed by Ulloa even if he's knackered

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I dont want him anywhere near the starting 11. Off bench fine by me, but GUS DO NOT START BARNES. our shape goes out of the window and it means a flair player which we need at home is not playing, having Barnes we play a more negative style of play.

No No No No No No No

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I rate Barnes. Now he has had the final wake up call regarding his temper, I hope and expect him to 'grow up'.

He's a proven goal scorer, borne out by the goals he's scored under Gus, and it's great to have another striker back to augment Ulloa.

He is not a proven goal scorer, far from it. Im not knocking him as he works his socks off and does good things, but he is not a proven goals scorer, take his pens out and its pretty dismal considering the amount of time he is on the pitch.
In the squad is fine by me and very handy to come off the bench if required. but thats all.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think switching Ulloa out and replacing with Barnes would be madness though
If Ulloa is fully fit, then replacing him would be way beyond madness. But there's a good chance he's absolutely ****ed, in which case he may benefit from a rest. Fortunately we're down to one game a week after Saturday, but if Ulloa were to start on the bench, it would be because he's knackered.

EDIT - News just in:
Gus saying Ulloa needs a rest on Sat in today's Argus.
Ulloa is 100% starting on Saturday.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It'll be like a new player. He'll be desperate to make an impact. So no doubt will lose the ball, fly into a tackle and get a straight red :lol:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
He is not a proven goal scorer, far from it. Im not knocking him as he works his socks off and does good things, but he is not a proven goals scorer, take his pens out and its pretty dismal considering the amount of time he is on the pitch.
In the squad is fine by me and very handy to come off the bench if required. but thats all.

I understand what your saying, and not for one moment am I going to sit here and suggest he is ANYWEHRE near as clinical as Ulloa, but I think his goal stats are very misleading.

The majority of games he plays are in midfield. His goal scoring for a midfielder is very good really.

There was a game this season at home (i'm really sruggling to remember against who) where he started up front and scored a typical strikers tap in within minutes. The finish was simple but the striker instinct to find the position was very good.

Basically, all I'm trying to say is having Barnes up front is really not that bad a situation. Especially a Barnes eager to prove a point after 7 games out.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here