Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What were you doing when ..A )Princess Diana died B) The Twin Towers were attacked

C) Argentina invaded the Falklands D) Crystal Palace last scored a goal ?

For me -

A) laying in bed listening to the radio coverage of Greg Rudeski failing to become the first British man to win an Open since Fred Perry
B) going to work , getting excited at the prospect on the evening kick off at Withdean for Cup game vs Saints
C) washing up breakfast in a Youth Hostel in Darwin, Australia
D) can't remember - my memory is not that good.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
A) It was the middle of the night, so asleep. I know I played golf at Rustington the next day. The course was quite empty, sweet.
B) At home on a weeks hols - then trying to get hold of someone at work once I heard. 658 of my friends and colleagues died that day.
C) Too long ago, can't remember.
D) Wouldn't care to notice.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
A. watching my son take his first steps
B. at work in Crawley
c. can't remember
d. WHO ?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
A: Nursing an early morning hangover sleeping on my brothers living room floor
B: Was off work, so sat at home watching the full horror unfold

Can't remember C or D - both too long ago

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
a) When Diana Dies, I woke up and turned on the telly in the morning and found out.
b) I found out on Durrington Station platform after my first day at College.
c) I wasn't born when Argentina invaded the Falklands.
d) Quite frankly, its too long ago to remember.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
a) Driving to Crawley wondering why the radio shows were all cocked up. OK, it's not exactly when she died but the first I knew of it.
b) In an operating theatre having a painful investigation
c) Really can't remember
d) Eh ?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
A) In bed, asleep. Remember being mightily miffed that the morning Saturday shows were cancelled so they could talk about her endlessly.
B) Off school with a dodgy gut so watched it all unfold without fully comprehending how much it would be the background to much of the next decade.
C) Busy being all non-existent
D) When who did what?

Trolly Dolly

Aug 22, 2011
A: in hotel in Manchester and switched on TV and got news; flew to Islamabad that day and our Pakistani passengers were very upset, I was cabin crew. B: Ironing and watching Crossroads when there was a news flash, my flight to Orlando was cancelled next day; c: can't remember D: before I was born

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
Sleeping at home and woke up very early on sunday morning to the news. Remember my ex saying it was a good thing and wasn't too impressed.

When the twin towers were bombed I was swimming at a hotel in Kilifi. Kenya. Word came round and then the hotel put on live tv coverage in a small tv room that everyone crammed into. I well remember the silent shock!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
....What were you doing when ..A )Princess Diana died B) The Twin Towers were attacked
C) Argentina invaded the Falklands

I know I,ve got an alibi for all three.

Last edited:

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
a) On night shift in Zoetemeer, Holland, so heard as soon as it was announced.
b) Working at American Express, someone had it on their pc, saw the plane it the tower (can't remember if it was a replay or the second one), I said it is a hoax and went back to work! :(
c) Can't remember...
d) At least 450 minutes! :)

Edited: D adjusted by 90 minutes! :clap:

Last edited:

Mar 13, 2012
a) sunday morning on the radio at home.
b) driving around the M25 when Simon Mayo announces on radio 5 '...we are getting reports of a small plane crashing into the World Trade Centre'.
c) cannot remember the start - but do remember an announcement at a game at the Goldstone (possibly Wolves) that a ship had been sunk, HMS Sheffield, I think.
d) helping my Great Uncle Noah build his wooden ship.

a) sunday morning on the radio at home.
b) driving around the M25 when Simon Mayo announces on radio 5 '...we are getting reports of a small plane crashing into the World Trade Centre'.
c) cannot remember the start - but do remember an announcement at a game at the Goldstone (possibly Wolves) that a ship had been sunk, HMS Sheffield, I think.
d) helping my Great Uncle Noah build his wooden ship.

A) Staying with friends in Derbyshire. Driving home on a dismal wet day, getting diverted off M1 due to accident, all day long depressing music on the radio
B) On a team briefing day at the Oval. Air of grim fascination with events all day, remember several of us crowding road the security guys cabin by the entrance watching events unfold on his 9" B&W TV and thinking it all scarily unreal.
C) Can't remember, it unfolded over several days as I recall.
D) In the Tardis with Dr Who watching the Big Bang happen.

spig100963

Mar 18, 2011
a) Mrs woke me up with the news.
b) Recovering from hangover, it was day after my birthday.
c) Recalling 42 Cdorm.
d) Booing

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
a) I was on holiday in Cornwall.
b) Standing on a crate, hammer and bolster in hand, hacking plaster off a wall in a house in Hove.
c) Unborn.
d) Who?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
A) laying in bed listening to the radio coverage of Greg Rudeski failing to become the first British man to win an Open since Fred Perry

You couldn't have been, the Final between Rusedski and Pat Rafter wasn't played until September 7th. The tournament only started a couple of days before her death.

For me a) I was woken up by Mum as I'd slept on her couch that night after a night out, I then had to go to work and listen to people moan about there being no papers as they'd stopped the presses and reprinted everything so they could have the news on the front page of all the Sunday papers. That evening I went to London to watch the Broncos play the mighty Bradford Bulls.

b) When the first tower was hit I was in the pub on my work lunch break, we found out when we got back to the office. I went home to watch the news coverage for a couple of hours then headed to Withdean to watch Brighton play Southampton in the League Cup.

c) I was only 6 when it happened so too young to really remember, no doubt I was getting ready for school and heard it on the radio.

d) Is there anyone alive who would be able to remember that?

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
A) Sleeping , happened at 1 in the morning didn't it?
B) Was at school , probably pissing around
C) I wasn't even born
D) Probably wasn't born for that either.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
b) When the first tower was hit I was in the pub on my work lunch break, we found out when we got back to the office. I went home to watch the news coverage for a couple of hours then headed to Withdean to watch Brighton play Southampton in the League Cup

Strangest atmosphere at a football match ever. I remember going to the Nelson before the game and having the rather odd feeling that I wasn't 100% sure if I should be going, or even if the match should have been played.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here