Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Simple maths - What it means if we beat Blackpool on Saturday...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We'll be on 69 points and have a goal difference of at least +19.

In that scenario to NOT make the play-offs the either Bolton or Forest would almost certainly have to get 7 points from their last 3 matches.

Bolton - M'boro (H) Cardiff (A) Blackpool (H). I'm seeing 6 points there, tops.

Forest - Barnsley (H) Millwall (A) Leicester (H). I'm seeing 7 points there, tops.

But, if Forest do beat Leicester (now on 64 points) then for us to miss out Leicester would have to beat both Palace (A) and Watford (H).

And even if Leicester win both those matches then for us to miss out Palace will need at least 4 points from Blackburn (A), Millwall (A) and Peterborough (H).

These are the odds on us making the play-offs after tonight's matches: BetVictor 1/6, Stan James 2/7, BetFair 3/14.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
If we didnt make it from here then it would be a big surprise to me.

4 pts should do it

Blackpool home is massive. No gimmes in this division but get 3 points then virtually there.

Then the fun begins

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK

In that scenario to NOT make the play-offs the either Bolton or Forest would almost certainly have to get 7 points from their last 3 matches.

Forest - Barnsley (H) Millwall (A) Leicester (H). I'm seeing 7 points there, tops.

But, if Forest do beat Leicester (now on 64 points) then for us to miss out Leicester would have to beat both Palace (A) and Watford (H).

And even if Leicester win both those matches then for us to miss out Palace will need at least 4 points from Blackburn (A), Millwall (A) and Peterborough (H).

These are the odds on us making the play-offs after tonight's matches: BetVictor 1/6, Stan James 2/7, BetFair 3/14.

That Stan James price is out of date, it's the price available before tonight's games.

1/6 is about right.

86%!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I also think that you really don't want to be finishing 6th. If Watford beat Blackburn at home on Saturday then Gianfranco Zola can rest his key players safe in the knowledge they're 3rd. He won't need to risk anyone carrying a knock or looking jaded, so some players could get a 19 day break. For the 6th placed club there's no such luxury.

The stats on which team eventually gets promoted are as follows:

3rd (9 times), 4th (4), 5th (6) and 6th (5).

Last edited:

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011

How about looking at it this way we keep winning we stay in the playoffs not really worried about the rest because I seriously believe we will be the hardest team to beat over 2 legs and well, the playoff final is anyones to be honest.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I also think that you really don't want to be finishing 6th. If Watford beat Blackburn at home on Saturday then Malky Mackay can rest his key players safe in the knowledge they're 3rd. He won't need to risk anyone carrying a knock or looking jaded, so some players could get a 19 day break. For the 6th placed club there's no such luxury.

The stats on which team eventually gets promoted are as follows:

3rd (9 times), 4th (4), 5th (6) and 6th (5).

Err Malky Mackay???

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
How about looking at it this way we keep winning we stay in the playoffs not really worried about the rest because I seriously believe we will be the hardest team to beat over 2 legs and well, the playoff final is anyones to be honest.

When you say 'keep winning' would mean we are winning for fun at the moment and we are doing far from that at the moment. I think 4 points out of the 9 will put us on 70, and think that would be enough to get in, as long points are dropped else where, which is bound to happen.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
When you say 'keep winning' would mean we are winning for fun at the moment and we are doing far from that at the moment. I think 4 points out of the 9 will put us on 70, and think that would be enough to get in, as long points are dropped else where, which is bound to happen.

This for me. Far from "winning for fun", if we beat Blackpool Saturday and one of the teams directly below us fail to win, we should be pretty safe. Can't believe everyone wants to help us out so much!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

But we don't keep winning. What we do do is keep drawing.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm with you on that Ernest. And the only way to do that is beat Blackpool on Saturday and get the points on the board. Palace will do well to match that result by beating Leicester.

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011

To be honest in this league keep winning on most occasions means not losing we have moved up the table with draws and are so hard to beat.

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
But we don't keep winning. What we do do is keep drawing.

As quoted at my post of 0014hrs with this league winning on occasions has been taking a point from teams while others around us keep losing. only Cardiff have lost less than us this season, I think.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Need to go all out to finish 4th then play at home second match, massive advantage then

I don't subscribe to this theory. I think there's more chance of getting the all important away goals if you play the away game second, knowing exactly what is required of you.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I don't subscribe to this theory. I think there's more chance of getting the all important away goals if you play the away game second, knowing exactly what is required of you.

there's no 'away goals count double' rule in the playoffs - if there was Swindon would have beaten us a few years back. The advantage of the home leg second is that extra time is played at your place if it's level after 180 mins.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here