Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Unbelievable 4th

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
When I think back over the season all I am reminded of are the numerous matches where we have ended up dominating play and yet somehow only drawn the game. Yet considering all these draws we are currently sitting 4th in the league in what may well be considered our greatest season for decades.

All things considered it could have been a little sweeter, Gus has done excellent to put us in a position where we will probably finish above Blackburn, Wolves, Blackpool, Birmingham, Leeds, Middlesbrough, Bolton, Leicester and Crystal Palace.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
In honestly even with me gloating at my neighbours down the road, this will go down to the wire.

Superb-

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Yes ........ Plus this is the first Midweek draw I can remember, where the threads haven't been all doom and gloom. i think we are all starting to appreciate Gus's vision for this season now.
Hard to beat, will keep you in the hunt in this division. Gus has learnt from last year's capitulation and kept us in it all the way. 2 home games left.... and 4th in the league... pretty good position to be in.

Can't see us being beaten in the next 3 which means at least 69 points and more likely 71.. either will be enough IMHO

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
I just think back to a few season ago at Withdean losing to 9 man Walsall 1-0 at home on the first day of the season......amazes me

we're now on the verge of the Play Offs to the PREMIER LEAGUE playing infront of 26,000 week in week out!

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Every team has dropped points to teams you would expect them to beat. You could look at a team in 5th playing a team just above the relegation zone and expect an away win but yet its a good result for us tonight.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
If half of our 18 draws had been wins then we would be challenging for 2nd!

And if my aunty had a set of wheel she'd be a car!

It is crazy that we are in fourth though. I can't decide whether it's more to do with us being great or the league being shit. The results tonight were mad.

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012

It is crazy that we are in fourth though. I can't decide whether it's more to do with us being great or the league being shit. The results tonight were mad.

I don't think the league is shit, just is incredibly tight with as proved tonight, anyone can beat anyone. The reason we are 4th is that when we have played badly we have picked up a point, whereas most teams would simply lose. Only lost 9 games all season, no one has done the double over us. The stat I find most interesting is that there are only 3 teams that have taken more points off of us then we got from them; Bolton, Leicester and Birmingham. And as of tonight have the tightest defense in the league. Joint with Cardiff...

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012

I don't think the league is shit, just is incredibly tight with as proved tonight, anyone can beat anyone. The reason we are 4th is that when we have played badly we have picked up a point, whereas most teams would simply lose. Only lost 9 games all season, no one has done the double over us. The stat I find most interesting is that there are only 3 teams that have taken more points off of us then we got from them; Bolton, Leicester and Birmingham. And as of tonight have the tightest defense in the league. Joint with Cardiff...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If half of our 18 draws had been wins then we would be challenging for 2nd!
We'd be on 84 points, with at least +9 GD - so dead level with Cardiff. Anyway, we may have deserved to win a few of our draws, and lose a couple of them, but we haven't deserved to win 9 of them.

It is crazy that we are in fourth though. I can't decide whether it's more to do with us being great or the league being shit.
Look at our squad compared to last season. We weren't far from the playoffs last season, and we have a much better squad this season. I read it that the lower half of the league is better this season (teams like Wolves and Blackburn down there) and we're better too.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
In statistical terms it would be surprising to put it mildly if we didn't finish top 6. We have:

1. Fewest defeats
2. Fewest away defeats
3. Best defensive record.

That said:

The team that have lost the 2nd most matches in the division is...Middlesbrough (10th)
The team in 23rd spot (Barnsley) have only won 3 less games than the team in 4th (us)
The team in 22nd spot (Huddesfield) have only lost 4 more matches than the team in 2nd (Hull)
The bottom team (Bristol City - relegated) have only scored 2 less goals than the team in 2nd (Hull)
The team in 21st (Wolves) have only conceded 8 goals more than the team in 3rd (Watford)

And...my personal favourite...the three teams in 20th, 21st and 22nd have each won 7 away matches. Yet the teams in 4th , 5th and 6th spots have won 7, 6 and 5 respectively.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
We'd actually be challenging for 1st under those circumstances

Exactly, we'd have 84 points and have a goal difference of at least 27. Hell, we'd probably be top of the league.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
IF all our results had been a fair reflection of play (subjective I know), I reckon we would have about 15 more points.

Hull (a) lost - result should have been: draw (-1)
Watford (a) won - should have been: draw (+2)
Birmingham (h) lost - won (-3 dropped)
Middlesbrough (h) lost - won (-3 dropped)
Blackpool (a) draw - lost (+1)
Leeds (h) draw - won (-2)
Wolves (a) draw - won (-2)
Bolton (h) draw - won (-2)
Forest (h) draw - won (-2)
Birmingham (a) draw - won (-2)
Blackburn (a) draw - lost (+1)
Hull (h) won – draw (+2)
Blackburn (h) draw – won (-2)
Cardiff (a) won – lost (+3)
Bristol C (a) draw – lost (+1)
Bolton (a) lost – won (-3)
Barnsley (a) lost – draw (-1)
Charlton (h) draw – won (-2)
10-25 = -15

This would put us in 2nd with 81 points and challenging Cardiff for the title.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
And...my personal favourite...the three teams in 20th, 21st and 22nd have each won 7 away matches. Yet the teams in 4th , 5th and 6th spots have won 7, 6 and 5 respectively.

that really is top statting :lol:

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
Because of various things that have happened this season, it doesn't feel like it could be one of our greatest seasons;

- Murray leaving us for our arch rivals
- missing out on a star striker in the summer
- badly times injuries/suspensions
- poyet heavily linked with a move away
- the court case

All of the above have resulted in a lot of bad feeling and negativity on here and has taken away from the fact that we are incredibly hard to beat and very entertaining when we click in to our game.

This basically means we have slipped under the radar, not only to those looking in, but to our own fans too.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here