Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Now of Littlehampton Barnham Seagull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    How long before the next admin?

Swiss chesse business plan partly funded by a property developer (how dodgy is that?) and the local council.
    Get used to it Palace your on the slide

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Geriatric Seagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Just hope this means they start next season on minus 10 - at least!
      I see no reason why not...........they enjoy starting 0n minus 10 don't they
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      As far as I can see the 10 point deduction should be this season. They were due to start the season on -10 points, but the Football League suspended it until they came out of administration. They haven't gone into administration this season, merely remained in the one from last season. However, I suppose the Football League could apply it next season if they wanted, the situation doesn't seem to have a precedent.

0 Not allowed!
      What sort of attendance are thy getting these days? I ask because I haven't seen a Portsmouth shirt in ages whereas I used to see quite a few when they were in the Prem.

I wonder why?

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by halbpro View Post
      As far as I can see the 10 point deduction should be this season. They were due to start the season on -10 points, but the Football League suspended it until they came out of administration. They haven't gone into administration this season, merely remained in the one from last season. However, I suppose the Football League could apply it next season if they wanted, the situation doesn't seem to have a precedent.
      I thought the points deduction was supposed to be a punishment? They're already relegated so deducting the points now isn't really punishing them is it? Gotta be next season.
      برايتون حتى أموت

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by gibseagull View Post
      I thought the points deduction was supposed to be a punishment? They're already relegated so deducting the points now isn't really punishing them is it? Gotta be next season.
      I think the principle of 'You can't murder a corpse' is involved.
      I never realised that in order to become a jockey you have to have been a horse first.

(Arrigo Sacchi, Italian national coach; coach, AC Milan, x2.etc. Never played a day professionally)
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      The Portsmouth administrators basically begged the league at the start of the season to not take the 10 points off them as it would make the clubs league position higher than it should be and more attractive to potential buyers (hmm yeah 22nd is so much more attractive than 24th). I thought the deduction was for starting the season without a proper CVA in place.

They should get a Luton and be -30 next season for being in admin more than a year and repeat offences, who knows, season after they could be playing Whitehawk on a Tuesday night in Conference Premier

Re: Pompey relegated

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by halbpro View Post
      I think it's already been stated that the FL can apply the penalty either this season or next.

As it's meant to be a punishment I can't imagine it'll be handed down to a recently relegated team, what'd be the point?
      The 'Oulon One'
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      But Coventry's point deduction wasn't any sort of penalty. They went from upper middle to lower middle. Never going to get promoted, never going to get relegated.
      I agree to some extent with halbpro, in that Portsmouth coming out of administration is very different to the Leeds situation, who wanted to go into admin earlier than they needed to, to deliberately incur the penalty in their relegation season.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gullflyinghigh View Post
      I think it's already been stated that the FL can apply the penalty either this season or next.

As it's meant to be a punishment I can't imagine it'll be handed down to a recently relegated team, what'd be the point?
      Quote Originally Posted by gibseagull View Post
      I agree that it should be next season, but given it was meant to be at the start of the season for, as far as I can see from old news reports, going into administration again so quickly. The reports aren't particularly clear though, but the general tone does seem to suggest that it was a condition of them being allowed into League One while in administration (BBC and Independent reports seem to be saying this). As @Gary Leeds says, the deduction was suspended to make the club appear more attractive to buyers, but given it was meant to be punishment at the start of this season it seems overly harsh to allow it to carry over to next season, particularly as they've got new owners in the form of the fans.

The Football League have said that they'll be additional punishments next season though, including limits on budgets, borrowing etc... I suppose they could add an extra points deduction, but given the administration they're just exiting has lead to two deductions already (even if one is currently suspended), it, again, seems overly harsh to apply a new one next year.

I also can't find the Football League saying that they'll carry the deduction over to next season, although I haven't read anything saying they won't.