Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Pompey relegated

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
How long before the next admin?

Swiss chesse business plan partly funded by a property developer (how dodgy is that?) and the local council.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
As far as I can see the 10 point deduction should be this season. They were due to start the season on -10 points, but the Football League suspended it until they came out of administration. They haven't gone into administration this season, merely remained in the one from last season. However, I suppose the Football League could apply it next season if they wanted, the situation doesn't seem to have a precedent.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
What sort of attendance are thy getting these days? I ask because I haven't seen a Portsmouth shirt in ages whereas I used to see quite a few when they were in the Prem.

I wonder why?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
As far as I can see the 10 point deduction should be this season. They were due to start the season on -10 points, but the Football League suspended it until they came out of administration. They haven't gone into administration this season, merely remained in the one from last season. However, I suppose the Football League could apply it next season if they wanted, the situation doesn't seem to have a precedent.

I thought the points deduction was supposed to be a punishment? They're already relegated so deducting the points now isn't really punishing them is it? Gotta be next season.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
I thought the points deduction was supposed to be a punishment? They're already relegated so deducting the points now isn't really punishing them is it? Gotta be next season.

I think the principle of 'You can't murder a corpse' is involved.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
The Portsmouth administrators basically begged the league at the start of the season to not take the 10 points off them as it would make the clubs league position higher than it should be and more attractive to potential buyers (hmm yeah 22nd is so much more attractive than 24th). I thought the deduction was for starting the season without a proper CVA in place.

They should get a Luton and be -30 next season for being in admin more than a year and repeat offences, who knows, season after they could be playing Whitehawk on a Tuesday night in Conference Premier :)

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012

I think it's already been stated that the FL can apply the penalty either this season or next.

As it's meant to be a punishment I can't imagine it'll be handed down to a recently relegated team, what'd be the point?

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
But Coventry's point deduction wasn't any sort of penalty. They went from upper middle to lower middle. Never going to get promoted, never going to get relegated.
I agree to some extent with halbpro, in that Portsmouth coming out of administration is very different to the Leeds situation, who wanted to go into admin earlier than they needed to, to deliberately incur the penalty in their relegation season.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I think it's already been stated that the FL can apply the penalty either this season or next.

As it's meant to be a punishment I can't imagine it'll be handed down to a recently relegated team, what'd be the point?

I agree that it should be next season, but given it was meant to be at the start of the season for, as far as I can see from old news reports, going into administration again so quickly. The reports aren't particularly clear though, but the general tone does seem to suggest that it was a condition of them being allowed into League One while in administration (BBC and Independent reports seem to be saying this). As [MENTION=11926]Gary Leeds[/MENTION] says, the deduction was suspended to make the club appear more attractive to buyers, but given it was meant to be punishment at the start of this season it seems overly harsh to allow it to carry over to next season, particularly as they've got new owners in the form of the fans.

The Football League have said that they'll be additional punishments next season though, including limits on budgets, borrowing etc... I suppose they could add an extra points deduction, but given the administration they're just exiting has lead to two deductions already (even if one is currently suspended), it, again, seems overly harsh to apply a new one next year.

I also can't find the Football League saying that they'll carry the deduction over to next season, although I haven't read anything saying they won't.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Maybe i have missed something here? I dont take any pleasure in this. It wasnt so long ago that we were mismanaged by terrible owners who took our club to the brink. Its not the genuine pompey fans that have been responsible for the clubs demise. Its greedy and corrupt owners. Yes the club should be punished of all the financial mismanagement but to gloat seems a tad unsophisticated especially with our troubled passed. There but for the grace of god go i and all that. Pompey are a traditional good old fashioned football club and i feel for the genuine fans who have had no control over this. I hope the fan ownership works for them and they can get their club back on a decent footing and still remain in the league.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Hardly saw any blue and white Tesco shirts in Littlehampton until about two years ago!
Pots and kettles,Who knows it might happen to you lot one day:wink:

Difference is Brighton is a Sussex club. And also although our current league status is fantastic compared to the last fifteen odd years, our support had not been dependant upon falsely buying our way to the premier league and the real success of winning the cup and getting to another final. You can't compare the two situations. The people of Sussex voted MASSIVELY in our club's favour before there was any 'success' buying season tickets in greater numbers (far more than your club has ever managed) for our first season back in the championship. Indeed we've TWICE now exceeded those initial staggering figures. It must really hurt poor little palace....

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I agree that it should be next season, but given it was meant to be at the start of the season for, as far as I can see from old news reports, going into administration again so quickly. The reports aren't particularly clear though, but the general tone does seem to suggest that it was a condition of them being allowed into League One while in administration (BBC and Independent reports seem to be saying this). As [MENTION=11926]Gary Leeds[/MENTION] says, the deduction was suspended to make the club appear more attractive to buyers, but given it was meant to be punishment at the start of this season it seems overly harsh to allow it to carry over to next season, particularly as they've got new owners in the form of the fans.

The Football League have said that they'll be additional punishments next season though, including limits on budgets, borrowing etc... I suppose they could add an extra points deduction, but given the administration they're just exiting has lead to two deductions already (even if one is currently suspended), it, again, seems overly harsh to apply a new one next year.

I also can't find the Football League saying that they'll carry the deduction over to next season, although I haven't read anything saying they won't.
Bournemouth and Rotherham both faced additional points deductions for not observing the rules on exiting administration in time and being in administration more than once within a few years , Pompey are in the same position. The 10 points deduction will be carried over and another 7 - 20 points should be deducted as a condition of playing in League 2.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
If we're happy about it, imagine how Southampton fans are feeling!! 5 years ago Pompey were winning the FA Cup and in the Prem while laughing at Southampton in League One, now Southampton are up there and Pompey are deep in the brown stuff!!

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
Poor old Portsmouth! Playing Fleetwood next season!, if Aldershot stay up that could a a good away day for them! Aaarrrrrrrrr!!!, can't take the mick to much, it feels a bit like kicking a rabbit (no I haven't kicked a rabbit)

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Poor old Portsmouth! Playing Fleetwood next season!, if Aldershot stay up that could a a good away day for them! Aaarrrrrrrrr!!!, can't take the mick to much, it feels a bit like kicking a rabbit (no I haven't kicked a rabbit)
We aren't staying up cos we're utter shite,Agree Pompey at The Rec would of been good but very very messy.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I am very pleased but expect them to start the climb back up next season with immediate promotion

Not if the FL impose restrictions on transfer activities and they have to observe FFP practices.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here